Home General Paddle Craft

Native Kayak 14.5 Alternatives

rudyengrudyeng Posts: 357 Deckhand
Hey guys

I sold my old Native Kayak 14.5 a couple of years ago.  Looking to purchase a new Kayak. Loved the 14.5. It doubled as a stand up paddle board.

I will use it for back country fishing, Duck hunting and basic back country touring in the everglades.  Weight is an issue due to back problems. Want it to be under 70# is possible.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks

Rudy

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 731 Officer
    I would not hesitate to look for and buy another exact replacement Native 14.5....

I have an 2007 Ultimate 12 and never plan to get rid of it, its just to good at paddling, standing, light weight, nothing can replace it.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,736 Captain
    edited April 2020 #3
    Thats actually the kayak i own (14.5 mantaray).  Had it about 15 years now. It's fast and tracks well. Prob my fav paddle craft ever owned.
    Only reason I want another kayak is to get an elevated seat (comfy) and prob gonna go with pedal drive (more hands free for fishing).
    Subscribed
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,926 Captain
    The new Vibe Shearwater 125 has options for peddle or paddle fishing.  It has a seat that can be adjusted to many different heights, including flipping it down and standing on a back platform for an elevation of 16" off the water.  It will be available at the end of this month, and I am in line for the pre-order.
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 357 Deckhand
    The new Vibe Kayaks look awesome. Great value and engineered for at kinds of attachments. 
    FX2
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 357 Deckhand
    Can you use the Fx2 as a paddle board ?  The 14.5 was very stable.  I can paddle several miles sitting but like to stand up as well.
    No experience on the FX2 but supposedly just as stable as the Ultimate, and I agree I have the U12 and can stand for hours,,,  Its supposedly an upgrade to the Ultimate, although heavier, but has high/low seating.

but owing a paddleboard I could not compare a kayak to a paddleboard.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 925 Officer
    Love my Cuda 14, think they have flattened the deck, and thats a good thing, the raised center hatch area can trip you up if you walk around, but its easy to stand, fish and paddle
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
    If you can get by with a 12+ solo kayak, you may want to look at the Bonafide SS127.. Bonafide was designed and built for fishing. They recently were purchased by Liquid Logic.

Look up some of Chad Hoovers Kayak Fishing videos, he switched over last year to Bonafide and some of his videos will give good examples of how useable the kayak is.
  • RiverrattRiverratt Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Kaku voodoo w a trolling motor