Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Fall Flounder run reports

Ok,  i don't really expect this go to well, but i think it would be cool if we all helped each other chase the flounder out of the river through October.   I am actually going to be fishing from a boat some this year so i am going to be out of my comfort zone. I have an offshore boat, but it is to much of a pain to try and fish it in the river.   I don't think anyone would expect you to give up a honey-hole,  just what part of the river they found good numbers of fish.   

For instance:   I caught 6 keepers in the mayport area on Saturday.   Pics below.

If anyone wants to share info i am certainly in, I will be fishing tomorrow afternoon, but i may be in the boat so I am contemplating fishing all new areas to me, which basically means up river of Mayport.   I know that i can go wading in my usual spots and catch some fish, but i really want my buddy , who cannot go wading to catch some fish from the boat.   A successful trip would probably get him into the sport.   We should have multiple trips in October to get him on some flounder.   Might try the NAS area, might try Arlington,  maybe downtown,  if we find fish i will report.   

Replies

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 358 Deckhand
    I've got the same issue with an offshore boat that is difficult to work in the river/ICW so I feel your pain.  I grew up fishing for flounder from skiffs using light jigs so I've kind of been at a loss or how to get in on the game here.  My solution was to buy a peddle kayak which I've just started using in the marsh outside my development and across the ICW in the Oak Creek area.  I'll probably try to drift the St. Johns/ICW area this weekend with my cc and will let you know how I do.  Interested in trading notes on what works and what doesn't.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 449 Deckhand
    cftsmoke said:
    I've got the same issue with an offshore boat that is difficult to work in the river/ICW so I feel your pain.  I grew up fishing for flounder from skiffs using light jigs so I've kind of been at a loss or how to get in on the game here.  My solution was to buy a peddle kayak which I've just started using in the marsh outside my development and across the ICW in the Oak Creek area.  I'll probably try to drift the St. Johns/ICW area this weekend with my cc and will let you know how I do.  Interested in trading notes on what works and what doesn't.
    Sounds good.   Our plan is to stay in the River and look for some of the nice flounder that should be starting to migrate.   I just dont know where to start.   We will likely be throwing artificials.   I like to get in between docks and stuff so the 26 foot CC with twins and no trolling motor or ipilot is no fun for this stuff.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,160 Admiral
    Dodged the wind yesterday by staying on the west side between Fla Yacht Club the Fuller Warren. Mostly dredging Rat-L-Traps, with a little effort put in with grub tails.

Plenty of 3-5# jacks in the mouth of Ortega. And had 3 speckled trout from around the old Ortega Bridge. As for flounder......2 small ones just south of Ortega. Water was UGLY.

Tried one spot downtown to no good effect.
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 149 Deckhand
    Started at Ortega Bridge today. Stopped to catch bait-they are there- but 5 or so a flip. Looked at Sadler Point marina while we were shrimping and they dropped a sailboat that was in the slings from about 5'up. Every heard fiberglass hitting concrete? Fishing was sloooooow!
  • scj73scj73 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6 Deckhand
    Tried near Ft Caroline monument Sunday but only caught one small one and lost some tackle in the rocks there. 
  • DragoneishaDragoneisha Atlantic BeachPosts: 14 Deckhand
    Didn't catch, but saw two flounder caught off Huguenot surf fishing. (Didn't bite my line, rude.) Good size.
    We got these between the cruise ship Terminal all the way to the mayport area.   No particular spot seemed to be holding numbers.   Picked them up here and there.   Since we were in a boat i was hoping to find the mother load,  maybe they are still downtown or north of downtown?     Post your reports flounder chasers.

• captcavemanncaptcavemann Northeast Florida Posts: 11 Deckhand
    edited October 2020 #9
    I only mention this because I think you are missing a good opportunity with a bigger boat. 
    And you probably already know this. 

If I had a offshore boat and wanted to fish flounder I would fish the north jetty at Mayport. We use to anchor in the sand and work the base of the pyramid/edge of the jetty. 

Sliding egg sinker -swivel-18”-24” leader. 4”-6” mullet. 

Big flounder (20” plus) and big bull reds (48”- 60”)

Work from the end of the jetty back to the beach. The corner at the beach/jetty where the bait makes their turn usually holds a few flounder. 

I normally Catch 6-8 flounder from the shore around rocks using curly tailed jigs. 

September 5. 14”-16.5”. 

Released 3 or 4 14” fish. 

September 16

I think I caught a few decent whiting this day. 
    edited October 2020 #12

September 26

14”-17.5”. I had a bunch of tail bites and a few 11”-14” that I released. 

I’m probably heading out early tomorrow. I’ll post what and where I catch. 
    I only mention this because I think you are missing a good opportunity with a bigger boat. 
    And you probably already know this. 

If I had a offshore boat and wanted to fish flounder I would fish the north jetty at Mayport. We use to anchor in the sand and work the base of the pyramid/edge of the jetty. 

Sliding egg sinker -swivel-18”-24” leader. 4”-6” mullet. 

Big flounder (20” plus) and big bull reds (48”- 60”)

Work from the end of the jetty back to the beach. The corner at the beach/jetty where the bait makes their turn usually holds a few flounder. 

I normally Catch 6-8 flounder from the shore around rocks using curly tailed jigs. 

I know there are opportunities.  but the big boat is such a hassle to me.   You pretty much have to have someone with you, and it is a bigger job dropping, and retrieving anchor.   I may give is a shot here are there.   Overall i may sell the big boat and try and get a bay boat with all of the modern conveniences, specifically power poles, and ipilots.

Nice catches   
    I’m thinking bay boat myself. I with you on the modern conveniences. 
    I didn’t catch anything today. I missed a nice tarpon bite early A.M. after that I lost about $40 worth of tackle. I must have snagged every rock in fernanadina. Crappy day. 
    I didn’t catch anything today. I missed a nice tarpon bite early A.M. after that I lost about $40 worth of tackle. I must have snagged every rock in fernanadina. Crappy day. 

Bummer!    I may go after work and do a bit of wading,   That only gives me an hour and a half to fish, but i might just go.   I will report if i do.

Bigfish5 said:

Bummer!    I may go after work and do a bit of wading,   That only gives me an hour and a half to fish, but i might just go.   I will report if i do.

I think I might take another shot in the morning. It really bothers me when I lose tackle and don’t catch fish. 
    Ok, i fished the mayport area last night for about 2 hours, and it was tough.   I caught 2 potato chips, and it was **** near dark when a nice fat 18 incher bit my hook.   He was probably in 18 inches of water, probably moving in shallow for the nights hunting.   Was hoping to do better of course,  maybe the bulk of the run is still up around downtown.

Bigfish5 said:
    Ok, i fished the mayport area last night for about 2 hours, and it was tough.   I caught 2 potato chips, and it was **** near dark when a nice fat 18 incher bit my hook.   He was probably in 18 inches of water, probably moving in shallow for the nights hunting.   Was hoping to do better of course,  maybe the bulk of the run is still up around downtown.

I went yesterday morning. I caught a 17” and 15” on live mullet. One 13” on jig. Hooked and broke off a few big blue fish. They cut mono leaders like butter. Fished around the fort in fernandina. 

I keep hoping for a day with a limit of nice flounder. 
  • brokenbones060brokenbones060 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Fishing has been tough all week. Havent seen one flounder.  I was off all last week and fished every day basically. Fished ft. George area to Nassau Sound all the way up to the Dames point bridge. 2 rat reds to speak off. everything else was trash. lots of channel cats.  Was targeting flounder but abandoned that after the second day of basically getting skunked. Bounced jigs on the bottom with Gulps but nothing. Never had an issue catching before. They just arent here i suppose
  • icantfishicantfish EarthPosts: 50 Deckhand

Afternoon trip around Blount island. 
    Dang you ICANFISH,  You are making the rest of us look bad.   I went yesterday afternoon and fish down toward huguenot and only managed one keeper, he was nice at 19 inches, but i wanted a bit better numbers.  
    edited October 2020 #23
    icantfish said:

Afternoon trip around Blount island. 
    Nice. I guess this means they are still up river. Gives me hope for the next few days. 

I’m shore bound. I have to wait for them to come to me. 
    edited October 2020 #24

I lost a 17” at the edge of the water. Looked like he had been hit with a gig. He had a big chunk missing around his top fin. Bite was super slow today. We need a cold front. 

Caught him on a jig with gulp swimming mullet.  Felt like I was snagged on the bottom for a few seconds. 
    heard heard a report for mayport. Over 30 fish caught. They keep 20 between 4 to 8 lbs. 

I lost a 17” at the edge of the water. Looked like he had been hit with a gig. He had a big chunk missing around his top fin. Bite was super slow today. We need a cold front. 

Caught him on a jig with gulp swimming mullet.  Felt like I was snagged on the bottom for a few seconds. 
    Thats a nice one.   cold front should be here Friday night it sounds like.  
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,002 Captain
    Went yesterday, and had one bite. It was a 21" fish on a live finger mullet. Dames Point area.

icantfish said:
    heard heard a report for mayport. Over 30 fish caught. They keep 20 between 4 to 8 lbs. 
    dang,  thats a strong report.  they may be in Mayport, but they were not in the area i was fishing Sunday.  We are this  afternoon in the boat.   Was thinking of fishing between exchange island and the cruise ship basin.   I was thinking that was going to be the area.   This report makes me second guess that.    
    Well we put in at the lyons club yesterday afternoon and fished around blount island area.   We only managed 2 keepers although one was 20 inches , so a decent fish.   I don't know what we are doing wrong, we would pull up on a spot and fish it hard for about 15 minutes,   if no bites we would move to another.   Hard to get on them even in a boat if you are used to wading in guess.   
    Bigfish5 said:
    Well we put in at the lyons club yesterday afternoon and fished around blount island area.   We only managed 2 keepers although one was 20 inches , so a decent fish.   I don't know what we are doing wrong, we would pull up on a spot and fish it hard for about 15 minutes,   if no bites we would move to another.   Hard to get on them even in a boat if you are used to wading in guess.   
    Seems like the bite has been better on an out going tide for me this year. Especially the last 2 hours. I’ve caught them in less than a foot of water this year too. Some shallower than that.
    edited October 2020 #31
    icantfish said:
    Bigfish5 said:
    Seems like the bite has been better on an out going tide for me this year. Especially the last 2 hours. I’ve caught them in less than a foot of water this year too. Some shallower than that.
    I agree with icantfish.