Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Pompano Beach - 30th of September 2020

Pompano Beach  - 30 September  2020 

In the past, I have had some success landing Wahoo’s off the kayak during the month of September.  With that expectation, I made several trips during the month targeting the slender Zebras.   I fished with vertical jigs, Goggle-Eyes, Large Runners, Speedos and Bullet Tunas with hopes of connecting with a monster fish.  Instead, I had many missed bites:

And some hardships, such a fish that bent my assist hook upon the strike, and a bait hook up to a large tail thumping fish that broke the wire after 45 minutes of battle.

September 30th, started similar to prior September trips, first catching bait to fill my livewell, and then slow trolling for most the day with occasional sessions of vertical jigging when the meter marks looked good.

The slow trolled baits produced 4 Wahoo of the Cuban type(aka Great Barracuda!)

Vertical jigging resulted in 2 jigs bit off and one Rat King Mackerel

The high point of the trip was gaffing a keeper Cobia….. 

Unfortunately, he was too green to stay contained in the kayak.  All catches were released.

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,260 Captain
    That sunset (??) shot is really good.  Looks like some of your misses were near misses.  Good Luck on the next ones.  Where do you find room for your feet on that massive boat ??

I'm a little uncertain about that last picture, tho' .  You gaff your fish, then release them ??  Doesn't compute.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,988 Captain
    edited October 2020 #3
    gogittum said:
    That sunset (??) shot is really good.  Looks like some of your misses were near misses.  Good Luck on the next ones.  Where do you find room for your feet on that massive boat ??

I'm a little uncertain about that last picture, tho' .  You gaff your fish, then release them ??  Doesn't compute.
    Thanks, It was a beautiful sunrise.  We don't see them like that (with the radiating blue stripes) too often in SE Florida, it is a more common sight for a sunrise off Japan.    The Hobie Outback is cramped.... not the most comfortable kayak, the Pro Angler is much more comfortable, but the trade-off is speed.  When the current is strong, in the Outback, I can maintain position longer.   I need all the luck I can find.....

Losing that nice Cobia was poor handling on my part (bad luck).  The keeper(legal size) Cobia was gaffed because I intended to bag it.  The Cobia came off the hook when I gaffed it, and came off the gaff when I put it in the kayak.  Before I was able to subdue the fish, it flopped out and swam away.  Cobia are notorious for coming to the vessel green (not played out, too frisky to be boated).  They have a reputation for causing damage to boats when gaffed in a green condition.  A better move on my part would have been to spear gaff and second hook gaff the fish, holding it over the side until played out.  Easier said than done when you also have a fishing rod to manage.   None of the other fish were gaffed.  Any fish I intend to release is never gaffed.