Home Shimano

Shimano Stellas for 50 $???????

hooglerhoogler Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Has anyone else received ads on Facebook sellling Shimano Stella reels? You know too good to be true, well any feedback would be appreciated..thanks

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,355 Admiral
    You answered your own question.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,484 Officer
    edited August 23 #3

Back in the late 90's I had an old fishing buddy who was addicted to garage sales for fishing equipment and guns.
    Sometimes we would stumble on incredible buys. He once paid 5 bucks for an antique all brass spinning reel in mint condition, and had it apprised for $700. Another time at a garage sale he asked if they had any "Sporting equipment" and they went back into their house and came out with an antique Naval handgun. He paid $300 for it, and sold it the same day to a collector he bumped into at another garage sale for $1200

I once was leaving my house and spotted two young teens placing out fishing tackle for a yard sale several doors from my house. Luckily I was carrying some cash and bought three Like New condition offshore reels on custom tuna rods that were covered in dust for $15 apiece that were easily worth $1200 or more,  This was before eBay so those days are probably over.  

Anything on Facebook would be a scam.

Giimoozaabi
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 113 Deckhand

Back in the late 90's I had an old fishing buddy who was addicted to garage sales for fishing equipment and guns.
    Sometimes we would stumble on incredible buys. He once paid 5 bucks for an antique all brass spinning reel in mint condition, and had it apprised for $700. Another time at a garage sale he asked if they had any "Sporting equipment" and they went back into their house and came out with an antique Naval handgun. He paid $300 for it, and sold it the same day to a collector he bumped into at another garage sale for $1200

I once was leaving my house and spotted two young teens placing out fishing tackle for a yard sale several doors from my house. Luckily I was carrying some cash and bought three Like New condition offshore reels on custom tuna rods that were covered in dust for $15 apiece that were easily worth $1200 or more,  This was before eBay so those days are probably over.  

Anything on Facebook would be a scam.

Back 12 years ago when I lived in big city an elderly neighbor Josh passed away and left a small firearm collection behind.  His wife didn't know what to do with it and his daughter was scared to touch it so they called the local PD and an officer said he will come by and take them away for disposal next afternoon.  The daughter asked me if I can take all the guns out of the safe and put it out in the garage until police office could come pick them up and I agreed.  I checked the closet and he had 6 handguns and 5 long guns and they were all very collectables including a Colt Python, Peacemaker, 1911 Gold Cup, Detective Special, S&W model 27,and a Detonic 1911.  For shotgun he had a Winchester Super X model 1, Weatherby O/U, Browning O/U and a fancy pair of old Winchester model 70 in 270 and 300 WM.  Everything was used but was in like new condition.  I figured it was all worth between $5k-$10k...maybe a little more.  When I told the wife and daughter the value of the collection they were surprised and wanted to know if they could sell it.  After I told them of their options they asked me if I could sell it for them.  It took me almost a year to sell it all but I found a local buyer for each and she ended up with almost $8k.  I paid a local FFL to do the back ground check and transfer each gun.  For my effort she gave me the gun safe and bunch of gun accessories (holsters, ammo, spare magazines, etc.). 
    Oh, when the office arrived next day the daughter told him she gave it all away to the a neighbor...he was not happy.

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,517 Captain
    A couple of years ago I went to a garage sale and bought 2 Shimano Symetre reels for $15.  All they needed was a clean and oil.  The fly fishing stuff was expensive though.