Home Ask the Law!

Need to know if duck hunting is allowed in an area of intracoastal backwaters

troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
As the title says, I am looking to see if a backwater area is open to duck hunting. Is there someone I can email about the specific area with a google earth image attached for reference? The area in question is in Volusia county and is not within city limits.

Replies

• troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    Oh yea, the area is not navigated to much (not near a channel) and the closest dock that would be in front of the hunting spot in question is 1/4 mile a way, which is is no danger of steel shot even getting close..
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,188 Officer
    I am not the law but as I understand as long as you are in navigable public waters, 300 yards from houses(could be less), and are not in a park, sanctuary,WMA, etc... you are good to go. Google maps shows most parks and WMA's for a reference. But it is not infallable.

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,188 Officer
    I am not the law but as I understand as long as you are in navigable public waters, 300 yards from houses(could be less), and are not in a park, sanctuary,WMA, etc... you are good to go. Google maps shows most parks and WMA's for a reference. But it is not infallable. Also must not be within a firearm restricted zone.

• FishdflatsFishdflats Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Troutman561,

THE OP is pretty much right, you can pretty much hunt in any body of water that has public access and is not a park or a place where the discharge of firearms is prohibited. Since you have questions about an specific area, I suggest that you go to the FWC website and send them the question. They are pretty good at responding. See below link, if you want to take that approach. Good luck and be safe.

http://myfwc.custhelp.com/app/ask
    -Luis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]