Home Off Topic

Time for a new best buddy

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,028 Admiral
    AC Man said:
    I got to admit I'm a sucker for a beagle puppy. If I did that he would be mine and living the house which we have never allowed a dog to do. I don't want any peeing pooping or hair or slobber in my house. But those beagles are cute as can be
    AC If you train them from the beginning they won’t go to the bathroom in the house once their past the puppy stage. Hair and slobbering that’s all dependent on breed. Just like kids it’s all how you raise them.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 677 Officer
    Good lookin pupper right there.   Tell me the biting dies down after a bit Ruby is half velociraptor.     
    We are still working on the light biting even at almost 7 months now but its better with adult teeth. Once he lost the puppy teeth at 4-5 months it was much easier to deal with. They grow out of it before a year normally. I'm sure mine will calm down once we neuter him. Puppy comes with all the scars. We all forget about it because of the puppy breath and its memory suppressant capabilities.  :D
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,215 AG
    L8RBRA said:
    Good lookin pupper right there.   Tell me the biting dies down after a bit Ruby is half velociraptor.     
    We are still working on the light biting even at almost 7 months now but its better with adult teeth. Once he lost the puppy teeth at 4-5 months it was much easier to deal with. They grow out of it before a year normally. I'm sure mine will calm down once we neuter him. Puppy comes with all the scars. We all forget about it because of the puppy breath and its memory suppressant capabilities.  :D
    I've gotten Ruby elk antlers, pig chews, we freeze carrots for her to chew on, she's got chew toys but nothing stops those little chompers and she loves pillows, fingers, shoes, pant legs.    I've tried grabbing her lower jaw and tongue and saying NO BITE. but it doesn't work. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    Coffee and Jetski Puppy on the Middle Mississippi River last weekend

L8RBRA said:
    I've gotten Ruby elk antlers, pig chews, we freeze carrots for her to chew on, she's got chew toys but nothing stops those little chompers and she loves pillows, fingers, shoes, pant legs.    I've tried grabbing her lower jaw and tongue and saying NO BITE. but it doesn't work. 
    We have been very tempted to get a shock collar for training. Have not done it yet and kinda wish we would have mush earlier. All the trainers use them. All my buddies dogs are much better behaved and they use them. Something to think about. If you go that route I hear that you dont want a sheety one. 
    edited September 24 #97
    haven't really discussed that w the wife.  but it's gonna be on the table

oops...finger slipped, it'll be here saturday
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FV9Z6B/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,506 AG
    Could be worse.  Could be a kitten which never grow out of the biting and scratching. 

Captain Todd Approves

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FV9Z6B/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'd youtube some advise/tutorials on how to use it propperly. I am sure it can be done wrong and mess up a doggo pretty good mentally. 

mplspug said:
    Could be worse.  Could be a kitten which never grow out of the biting and scratching. 
    Yeah, I don't cat for that reason. They don't like me and vise versa.
    I actually like cats.  Had several that I miss, but I don't think we'll be getting one again.  Once you don't have to deal with litter boxes, you never want to go back.

Captain Todd Approves

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    We have 2 cats, 1 was an inside cat that always wanted to go outside. My wife was scared to leave her out because of all the varmints around that might eat cats. We actually lost one to an eagle a couple of years ago. Anyway, she finally gave in and now she's an outside cat and will only come in for a few minutes to get treats. I was glad she chose to move outside and we won't ever have another inside cat. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    L8RBRA said:

I'd youtube some advise/tutorials on how to use it propperly. I am sure it can be done wrong and mess up a doggo pretty good mentally. 

Definitely.   It has 3 settings and i'm thinking the vibrate setting should do enough to get the point across.  
    L8RBRA said:

Definitely.   It has 3 settings and i'm thinking the vibrate setting should do enough to get the point across.  
    They learn the vibrate from the shock. If I recall correctly the device will beep and vibrate before the shock goes to work. It helps associate the shock to the sound and vibration. My one buddy just has to say shock collar and the dog gets the hint and falls in line.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,513 Captain
    Beauty puppy.  I'm on my 4th lab....all had different personalities but all were great dogs.  I'd be lost without them.   
    Couple more good pics of the pup enjoying the river sandbar and his jetski

So should I get one?
    L8RBRA said:
    So should I get one?
    I'm gonna confess i'm too much of a wuss to put the darn thing on her.  I don't want to shock my dog.   and she bit me on the face last night right on the chin, good one too i bled like crazy. not vicious.  just playful but still... 
    L8RBRA said:
    So should I get one?
    I'm gonna confess i'm too much of a wuss to put the darn thing on her.  I don't want to shock my dog.   and she bit me on the face last night right on the chin, good one too i bled like crazy. not vicious.  just playful but still... 
    I hear ya, Morgan has done the same to me and I have bled as you say. All in play for sure but at the same time.... there is a instance every day that makes me want one because of his behavior towards my wife mainly. He can be a really sweet doggo but then the next minute he can be a terror. I dont want to shock mine either up until he gets crazy and nippy. Then its time to unleash the fury. I just wish I would have gotten one sooner and not waited until now to consider it. 
    L8RBRA said:
    So should I get one?
    My first 3 labs I did not need not use a training collar.... however my current/4th one it was a life saver.  He was an alpha male and just had a kind of his own.  He would be perfect with his commands but then he would get in something and everything was out the window.  Started some more training with they collar and now his great.  He could be on a dead run after a deer or something else and a call "here" and it's stop and right back to me.  For me the collar gave me my dog back.  I can go anywhere with him and he listens.  He wears the collar in the woods or on the beach still because it will make a quiet beep and he knows it's time to come back....no correction needed and I can let him wander a bit if he wants.

It depends a lot in the dog but for head strong ones the collar seems to work.  But like anything else it takes some time and effort to teach them
    L8RBRA said:
    L8RBRA said:
    So should I get one?
    I hear ya, Morgan has done the same to me and I have bled as you say. All in play for sure but at the same time.... there is a instance every day that makes me want one because of his behavior towards my wife mainly. He can be a really sweet doggo but then the next minute he can be a terror. I dont want to shock mine either up until he gets crazy and nippy. Then its time to unleash the fury. I just wish I would have gotten one sooner and not waited until now to consider it. 
    Ruby is the exact same, she's sweet but then when she gets tired she becomes a piranha.     
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Garysmo said:
    L8RBRA said:
    So should I get one?
    My first 3 labs I did not need not use a training collar.... however my current/4th one it was a life saver.  He was an alpha male and just had a kind of his own.  He would be perfect with his commands but then he would get in something and everything was out the window.  Started some more training with they collar and now his great.  He could be on a dead run after a deer or something else and a call "here" and it's stop and right back to me.  For me the collar gave me my dog back.  I can go anywhere with him and he listens.  He wears the collar in the woods or on the beach still because it will make a quiet beep and he knows it's time to come back....no correction needed and I can let him wander a bit if he wants.

It depends a lot in the dog but for head strong ones the collar seems to work.  But like anything else it takes some time and effort to teach them
    When my wife and I got married she had a 5 year old mix great dog but we had to take him out on a leash. If he got out he would just run away and we would spend tons of time riding the neighborhood trying to find him. You just couldn't have him outside without a leash and expect him to stay in our yard or with us. So, we bought a little training collar, I think maybe 30-35 dollars or so and it only took one shock, and it was turned down on the lowest setting. We leave it on him most of the time and if he is "hard of hearing" sometimes when we call him all it takes is the beep and he immediately comes to where we are. That little bit of money made him a great companion. He goes outside when either of us go out now and stays pretty close. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    Garysmo said:
    L8RBRA said:
    So should I get one?

I really think I might have missed the boat to start with a collar. When did you start with #4? What age?
    Ruby's 14 weeks i think i'm still safe, and i don't think they ever get too old for one of those
    Ruby's 14 weeks i think i'm still safe, and i don't think they ever get too old for one of those
    Good because at this point he needs correction constantly. 
    He was about 1 1/2 yrs old.  It can be done when they are older but obviously easier if young.  With older you might have to get him to "respect the collar"...in other words you might need a few good corrections.  Again not right away but you may have to build up if he/she is stubborn.  I had a little help from a woman who trained field trial dogs and he had his basics just didn't want to listen all the time.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,040 Captain
    edited September 29 #117
    Enjoying this read.
     I have lost more blood over the last 2 months than with any other pup. He pierced my nose from the inside out 2 weeks ago, my arms are shredded.
    Last weekend, he just stopped.
    Just like that, just like every other pup I’ve raised.
    Let em be pups, collars are for working dogs and have their place but you gotta let a dog be a dog and do your part first.

Huck is 3 days shy of 4 months. 53#

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    I caved and bought a training collar last night. Have only used it to see where his recognition point is so far. 

4WARD said:
    Enjoying this read.
     I have lost more blood over the last 2 months than with any other pup. He pierced my nose from the inside out 2 weeks ago, my arms are shredded.
    Let em be pups, collars are for working dogs and have their place but you gotta let a dog be a dog and do your part first.

He is adorable. Mine is almost 7 months and still throwing temper tantrums and zooming around the house uncontrollably. He will even occasionally lunge at us and nip while doing so. I've raised 4 labs and this one has got me at my wits end. Time for him to listen
    L8RBRA said:
    4WARD said:
    Enjoying this read.

He is adorable. Mine is almost 7 months and still throwing temper tantrums and zooming around the house uncontrollably. He will even occasionally lunge at us and nip while doing so. I've raised 4 labs and this one has got me at my wits end. Time for him to listen
    LOL, sounds just like my pug the first year.  

I haven't followed the topic closely, do you have any other dogs?  Curious, because the pug has tuned out to be dominant and would be curious if yours ends up being dominant. 

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    L8RBRA said:
    4WARD said:
    Enjoying this read.

LOL, sounds just like my pug the first year.  

I haven't followed the topic closely, do you have any other dogs?  Curious, because the pug has tuned out to be dominant and would be curious if yours ends up being dominant. 
    No we dont. We put my ole boy down last fall at 15yrs old. Morgan is his replacement. Even at 8 weeks old he seemed to be the dominant one in the litter. I have done everything short of beat his ****. I have mounted him and made him give up over 100 times. He is normally good after that because he has expelled all energy trying to fight me while I restrain him.