Home General Fishing

Be Prepared

FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,806 Admin

Like a good Boy Scout, be prepared.  In this case, you’ll get more than a merit badge, you’ll get dinner.  Or at least a bent rod and some action.  When it comes to fishing offshore in Florida, odds are you’ll be in the neighborhood of swimming razor blades.  Kingfish, sharks, barracuda,  spanish mackerel.  If you want to consistently land one of these aforementioned toothy critters, you’ll want to be prepared with some wire leaders.

Having pre-made wire leaders handy and ready to go if needed is the answer if you’re cutoff and left wondering what took your bait. The Plano Edge flex tackle box is the perfect way to ensure your rigs are ready.

The Waterproof O-ring seal with rust resistant technology inside keeps your rigs organized and rust free.

Be prepared.  

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,513 Captain
    I'll have to try one of those plano boxes.  I've been putting mine in sealed plastic sandwich bags.  Works ok but sometimes you might get a little rust on a few
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,964 Captain
    Although I'm an inshore guy I do keep those pre-rigged wire leaders on board my skiff - Mine are carefully coiled in a lightweight zip-lock baggie and that baggie is just one more item in the small cooler I prefer instead of a tackle box... Coolers make great dry storage for most of what's needed on a small skiff... I use wire only sparingly and it's usually just a 15" trace - swivel at one end - hook at the other - and all of them attached to a rod's length of heavy mono (in my case being inshore it's on 80lb mono since we're a "light tackle" operation when using bait..) for those times when lures or flies just aren't working...  

As for those leaders?  I consider them my "knitting" and whenever I'm making up a half dozen or so I'm probably also watching the television... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,606 AG
    Funny you should say that Cpt. Bob, I just made up a bunch of leaders watching the Bucs game Sunday.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 748 Officer
    Not a fan of wire, I rather use a long shank hook, get double the bites and the fun may loos some but land many too. 
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,923 Admin
    Garysmo said:
    I'll have to try one of those plano boxes.  I've been putting mine in sealed plastic sandwich bags.  Works ok but sometimes you might get a little rust on a few
    Agreed, nothing worst than rusty wire rigs.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,087 Admiral
    To keep pre made hook rigs dry put them in a zip lock and put one of those silica gel packs that come in a lot of the things we buy that are used to keep moisture out of said products in the bag with the hook sets

for more great ideas follow my YouTube page

Click-here
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,028 Admiral
    To keep pre made hook rigs dry put them in a zip lock and put one of those silica gel packs that come in a lot of the things we buy that are used to keep moisture out of said products in the bag with the hook sets

for more great ideas follow my YouTube page

Click-here
    Yep those things come inside the big packages of beef jerky I always save them

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

None of my rigs last long enough to have a rust problem
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    None of my rigs last long enough to have a rust problem
    yeah, but you actually fish.. :)
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,087 Admiral
    during the off season I would make several thousand, as it was not uncommon to go through 50 a day chasing Billfish in the island 
    All those years ago when I got my first job as a mate on charterboats, 1973, I'd have a dozen or two ballyhoo rigs done up and 12 to 18 baits actually rigged (back then we mostly trolled for sails using bally, rigged mullet, and bonito strips).  You'd get to the dock an hour before dawn, do your rigging before an 8Am sailing time... Yes, we'd occasionally use a kite or the big gun, a heavy 12/0 rig with .040 monel wire (a few pounds of wire to fill a 12/0...) - and everyone that used it or rigged it never had the benefit of an electric reel at all... That old wire line rod was used to drop one or two pound weight rigs on wrecks that might go 250 - but most of our wrecks were in 120 to 220 foot depths in front of Miami Beach back then.  Big shark rigs (usually with #10 wire and 4x hooks )- were fished on basic 50lb gear with the old red side plate Penn 6/0 reels... 

Don't believe I've touched heavy gear in at least 35 years now.... maybe longer...   Back then I'd have to stay at the boat every other night trying to book off the crowds that were heavy around the old Castaways docks so you can guess where I did most of my wire work - all the time hustling foot traffic like I was in a carnival... It was a young single guy's dream - while it lasted... 

Compare that to my daily routine all these years later, fishing out of Flamingo or Chokoloskee... This morning up at 3Am, on the road at 4, met my anglers almost a hundred miles later at the ramp by 6Am... towing my old Maverick... We fished eight hours (then stayed a bit late), get squared away again with the skiff and trailer - then another 97 miles or so back home...  Makes for a long day (and I am towing my skiff more than 20,000 miles a year  - every year...). 

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    Capt. Bob...You ever heard of the Lady Mitchell..?
    Castaways Docks about your time there..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    They came on the scene towards the end of my time as a mate (the end of 1973..). Here's a true story - 

One day I was at Haulover gas docks (where we all fueled up) and watched the Lady Mitchell, fresh back from the yard fuel up and idle away from the docks to about 300 yards when it went BANG... Not the spectacular explosion you see in movies but you could clearly see the house separate from the hull then fall back down in place.  The miracle that day was that no fire followed afterwards - and the fire is usually the death sentence for a big boat.... Don't know what happened to her after that but guess it was back to the boatyard for some serious repair... 

Back then it wasn't un-common to find a charterman that was still gasoline powered.  The first boat I ever worked on had twin Cadillac engines... Each morning when I came down to the dock I'd open up every hatch she had then carefully pick up my bait box (a 48qt cooler) and go to the land's end of the Haulover docks to rig my baits... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    I was over at Turnberry Isles running private boats and the owner begged me to come run the Lady Mitchell.
    Turned it down because I didn't have to please lot's of different people every day..just the Owner
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I was so young and inexperienced that most of what was actually happening went right by me.  I will say that anyone caught up in the dark side of that era usually came to grief one way or the other... In the seventies when someone went missing all that was said was, " He went fishing" .... and that was during the "jimmy buffet" days when many were into midnight runs as much for the adventure as the money......

Turner... give me a call sometime and we''ll fish - your rig or mine... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666