Home General Hunting

Last minute gator bait... ?????

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
Have decided to give it a go tomorrow night despite crazy high water levels.  Will focus on areas near the bay.  Anyway, I have two pieces of rotten chicken rigged up, VERY well wrapped, and frozen.

I'd like to have an extra bait, or two.  I haven't been all year and this may well be my only opportunity, so I'm going to be more focused on filling tags than trophy status.

Question:  If you had to rig up a last minute bait, what would you do?  I was thinking rig up a couple mullet or spanish tonight, and then leave them out until tomorrow night.  I usually sew a section of pool noodle to my bait to keep it a float and it works great.  I think the noodle itself holds the stank and they sure don't mind sinking teeth into it.

Any other suggestions?  I don't have time to run around town looking for beef lung, and it would be fresh anyway.

Or I could rig up some more chicken, I just don't know how stinky it will be by tomorrow night. 
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 371 Deckhand
    edited September 24 #2
    Go to a local butcher and get some lung.

If your wife has a yappy little dog you want to get rid of that's probably the best....
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 501 Officer
    Get the fish now and stick in some water and leave in the sun. 
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 95 Deckhand
    I've used mullet and other fish parts, squirrel, etc. and put some bubble wrap in it to make it float high with pretty good success when I didn't have any lung.  Doesn't even need to be real smelly, as I get it in the vicinity of them and then pop it a few times to get their attention.  I tend to hunt in the daylight though so this would be tougher at night as you need to be able to see them.  I also hunt near the coast and position so I can use the tide to feed the bait to them, but a river with a flow could do the same.

Other option would be to look for a road killed deer, hog, or ??? and get the lungs.  Heck it may even be rotten already....
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,184 Captain
    I’ve seen them take same day killed roadkill squirrel over fresh chicken. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    edited September 24 #6
    WildMan said:
    I've used mullet and other fish parts, squirrel, etc. and put some bubble wrap in it to make it float high with pretty good success when I didn't have any lung.  Doesn't even need to be real smelly, as I get it in the vicinity of them and then pop it a few times to get their attention.  I tend to hunt in the daylight though so this would be tougher at night as you need to be able to see them.  I also hunt near the coast and position so I can use the tide to feed the bait to them, but a river with a flow could do the same.

Other option would be to look for a road killed deer, hog, or ??? and get the lungs.  Heck it may even be rotten already....

I've got a pretty good system for monitoring bait and presenting it at night.

Post probably pointless... looking more and more like I'm going to skip it.  All the rivers are raging right now inland a few miles... I was hoping that the last sections of all the rivers would be more normal water is more easily dispersed, but folks are saying it's high everywhere including ICW.  I think there are just too man places for them to be to have an enjoyable hunt.

Need to make my mind up in the next 15 minutes.  Probably better off just waiting until things improve considering the fact that I'll likely only get to go one time this year.

EDIT.... Golly, next weekend looks like lows of high 50s.  I guess I don't get to go this year.  Temps like that means you can't see past the bow of your boat due to the steam.  Frustrating.  Last time I went was a couple days before hurricane Michael.  Dropped off a 9'4 and an 8'4 at a processor never to be seen again.  Skipped last year.  No chance to go this year.   Grrr....
    Screw poor conditions and no prep.  I'm going tomorrow night after work.   
    Can’t kill them sitting on the couch. 
    edited September 25 #9
    Can’t kill them sitting on the couch. 
    Right about that.  once I consider the fact that this would be my only opportunity, I said screw it.   We going.  Outta this place at 4:00 and will be on road by. 5:15.  

EDIT... will also have a spare bait rig, flat shovel, trash bag, swim noodle and twine with me.  I'm sure we'll come across something juicy on the way there!  

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 612 Officer
    Poor conditions generally means less competition. Good luck Pan
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,449 Captain
    Have decided to give it a go tomorrow night despite crazy high water levels.  Will focus on areas near the bay.  Anyway, I have two pieces of rotten chicken rigged up, VERY well wrapped, and frozen.

I'd like to have an extra bait, or two.  I haven't been all year and this may well be my only opportunity, so I'm going to be more focused on filling tags than trophy status.

Question:  If you had to rig up a last minute bait, what would you do?  I was thinking rig up a couple mullet or spanish tonight, and then leave them out until tomorrow night.  I usually sew a section of pool noodle to my bait to keep it a float and it works great.  I think the noodle itself holds the stank and they sure don't mind sinking teeth into it.

Any other suggestions?  I don't have time to run around town looking for beef lung, and it would be fresh anyway.

Or I could rig up some more chicken, I just don't know how stinky it will be by tomorrow night. 
    I’m using my cull roosters. Pellet to the head, then trip to the freezer whole until hunt night. 

I’m using my cull roosters. Pellet to the head, then trip to the freezer whole until hunt night. 

You don't bother letting them get a little ripe?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,878 Admiral
    I keep coming back to this thread to see how things work out. Something about perseverance stance that often leads to success. His eminence Sir Winston Churchill said: 

"Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential."

I thank God for this for I'd of been mostly a failure with out lots of effort.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,449 Captain

You don't bother letting them get a little ripe?
    No, I couldn’t stand them in my freezer if I let them get nasty.
    Basically a bust.   Long long story.   Boat belongs to my neighbor, who is also my father in law.   

I'm not one to get in a pissing match with someone his age or someone who has lived through and accomplished as much as he has.

We stood at the boat Friday afternoon and I was told in no uncertain terms that it was pure gasoline in that tank.    I noticed that event was open, and we received 15 inches of rain during Sally.    

I mentioned try to dump it somewhere and was promptly put in my place for questioning.

Lo and behold about 1 mile and the motor quit.    

If you want to hear about perseverance, we found enough cans to dump the fuel....   Drew back in town got new gas.    Got back on the water about 10 p.m.   my handheld GPS took the ultimate **** and died.    Steam set in.    Water was high and where it wasn't high it was ripping.   

Kill the two smallest alligator that  I've ever killed.   Got home about an hour after sun up.  

Long night, but it was going to be my only chance to try to hunt this year.

There will be no pictures. It was embarrassing.   
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,064 Captain
    Go to a local butcher and get some lung.

If your wife has a yappy little dog you want to get rid of that's probably the best....
    This. There is nothing better. It floats by itself, too. No noodle needed
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,878 Admiral
    "There will be no pictures. It was embarrassing. " 

Anyone who says they've not been there are either too young to have ever done much....or lying!!!
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,770 Captain
    For table fare, Ill take the tail off a 4-6 footer any day of the week.  too bad there isnt a non-commercial tag at less expense to make it reasonable to take a small one. 
    The hides off a couple a matched smaller gators make the best boots!  Their leather is softer and nicer.  Meat is excellent as well.  
    Don't tempt me.  I have a picture of an absolute disgrace
    And, to top it all off I got a ticket for not having a throwable device at the ramp
    Thanks Florida. I love you too
    Typically FWC LE.  They are useless.  Always willing to harass a normal person but when it comes time to go after a lifelong poacher they clam up.  
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 95 Deckhand

Kill the two smallest alligator that  I've ever killed.   Got home about an hour after sun up.  

Long night, but it was going to be my only chance to try to hunt this year.

There will be no pictures. It was embarrassing.   
    No shame in that, especially considering the circumstances.  Definitely beats "Tag Soup"!
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,184 Captain
    Post the pic!!!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    I don't gator hunt but do plenty of fishing and there are days that just don't go as planned. Definitely have everyone's curiosity peaked about the pictures.
    Fine....
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    I don't hunt gator so this might be a dumb question....what part of a gator do people eat?  
    The nuts, marsh oysters.
  • WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Walmart sells Tripe (cow intestine).  It's poor mans beef lung.  We add chicken leg quarters or just a leg to our peg to hold it all together.
    Hey. It’s a belt ........ 
    or a small wrist purse for your lady. Think of it as an investment to allow you to stil
    hunt with her blessing