Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Brown Algae Bloom At The Estuary IRL

When cruising back south in the IRL channel today I looked to the east as I was going past The Estuary entrance channel and there was a big area there that was a bright orange/brown. I turned in there to get a closer look. It was not pretty. However, it was confined to the area east of the islands that are just west of the canal entrance. I hope this does not spread and grow. Fishing was good everywhere else I went with snook tarpon jacks,ladies,incl a Fat snook,my second.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Not a bloom....impoundment flap gates are now open.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • cFLDuckscFLDucks Posts: 36 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:
    Why are they opening the gates
    cFLDucks said:
    duckmanJR said:
    Goes back a long way. But the short answer is that by Federal mandate they must be opened to the river by Oct 15...and closed by Mar 15. The thought when the culverts were installed...is that they could control salt marsh mosquito breeding since it happens in mud....dike and flood and remove the breeding ground. Fast forward several decades...and the worry is that the "nursery" for game fish was closed off. It would be very expensive to remove the dikes...and we would return to having breeding aeas for mosquitos....so...this is their (FEDS ) answer.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 250 Deckhand
    Was in Melbourne on Sunday and could smell the river - smelled like low tide, problem is that there is no tide there, something was pretty ripe.
    duckmanJR said:
    cFLDucks said:
    duckmanJR said:
    Goes back a long way. But the short answer is that by Federal mandate they must be opened to the river by Oct 15...and closed by Mar 15. The thought when the culverts were installed...is that they could control salt marsh mosquito breeding since it happens in mud....dike and flood and remove the breeding ground. Fast forward several decades...and the worry is that the "nursery" for game fish was closed off. It would be very expensive to remove the dikes...and we would return to having breeding aeas for mosquitos....so...this is their (FEDS ) answer.
    duckmanJR said:
    cFLDucks said:
    duckmanJR said:
    During this process arent they destroying the waterfowel habbit by letting in the salt water?
    Yes...when most of this was done in the 1960's.... the impoundments became brackish from rainfall...but overwash from storms kept the salinity right. The brackish salinity grows the most favored duck foods... Chara....ruppia... widgeon grass and even if the salinity was low...other plants like several types of southern Naiad would supply wintereing waterfowl food. Move ahead to the mid 1980's....and they started reconnecting impoundments....killing off what was a thriving habitat.... It did not fix issues that were just starting to emerge with thge population boom in EC Fla... It was a bad idea...that continues failing....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:
    Yes...when most of this was done in the 1960's.... the impoundments became brackish from rainfall...but overwash from storms kept the salinity right. The brackish salinity grows the most favored duck foods... Chara....ruppia... widgeon grass and even if the salinity was low...other plants like several types of southern Naiad would supply wintereing waterfowl food. Move ahead to the mid 1980's....and they started reconnecting impoundments....killing off what was a thriving habitat.... It did not fix issues that were just starting to emerge with thge population boom in EC Fla... It was a bad idea...that continues failing....
    So basically Gov.  Trying to play mother nature. What a shame.  I only started hunting in the early 2000 and have definitely noticed the decline in ducks
    Yes... a bad idea run amok....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,923 Admin
    We went from the cleanest I have seen the IRL 3 months ago (during a rain drought) now to a pee green water in my area.   I think its a combination of heavy rain run off and spill ways opening up.  
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

Well...the past weeks crazy rainfall was not a giant help down here...Have not seen water this color since Fay in 2010.... It's pretty bad.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • HOME DEPOT GEORGEHOME DEPOT GEORGE Posts: 653 Officer
    If you drive down Hall rd the water sometimes looks like that I heard it was something called tannin stain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,031 Officer
    Just got a pic from my neighbor of a miserable bloom behind my home in Indian River Shores....chit!

I was looking forward to coming back after a summer in Mass. but now I'm not so sure....:(

Net 30 said:
    Just got a pic from my neighbor of a miserable bloom behind my home in Indian River Shores....chit!

I was looking forward to coming back after a summer in Mass. but now I'm not so sure....:(

Call the public safety dept....they should go clean that up LOL... Call me when you get back....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,031 Officer
    The town got that thar purty new Marine Police Boat and maybe they can scrub my lagoon!

Talk with you soon.