Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Anybody else eat mullet?

2times2times AlvaPosts: 109 Deckhand
Anybody else here eat mullet?  
I grew up eating mullet regularly and I still eat it and like it a lot.  I like it smoked, made into fish dip, grilled but most of all fried.  A piece of mullet filet covered with corn meal and fried served with Cole slaw and baked beans is a meal fit for a king. 
It seems very few people eat mullet anymore but years  ago it was very common.  

Replies

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,185 Officer
    Italian bread crumbs fried!
    i will be taking a few home when the mullet run starts.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,387 Officer
    Yep. I eat them but only the larger sizes from 10" on up. :p
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,778 Captain
    If they are large and come from the surf or just inside an inlet.(ocean run mullet)
    Otherwise or store bought.........no thank you.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,545 Admiral
    edited September 8 #5
    I like the red roe mullet fried along with the roe,. I like the Cole sslaw and baked beans too.  I like the bb like my mother use to make brown sugar and sliced bacon on top.  That was real good food back then.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    edited September 8 #6
    Ocean going Silver mullet butterflyied and left with their skin and scales intact
    are the best smoked fish i have ever eaten. The oil in their skin 
    is the ingredient that produces the finest smoked fish on the planet.
    Striped mullet are not as good by far.
    Giimoozaabi
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,069 Admiral
    Fried, smoked and stewed in brown gravy (Key West Bahamian style). Mullet is a great eating fish.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,694 AG
    Yep, outside mullet (not canal or river) fried is hard to beat, probably my favorite inshore fish.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    Fresh clean water mullet is pretty tasty.  I fry the gizzards too!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,694 AG
    Fresh clean water mullet is pretty tasty.  I fry the gizzards too!
    Yes on the gizzards!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,212 AG
    Never much cared for it fried, but smoked is the bomb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • mprudemprude Posts: 18 Deckhand
    Just curious, is it necessary to bleed them when caught or right to the cooler?  Caught several big matanzas inlet mullet last night and was going back tonight to get some for the smoker.  BTW, they're a blast to catch on the fly rod.  
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,212 AG
    mprude said:
    Just curious, is it necessary to bleed them when caught or right to the cooler?  Caught several big matanzas inlet mullet last night and was going back tonight to get some for the smoker.  BTW, they're a blast to catch on the fly rod.  

No
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield