Home Egret Boats

2011/Moccasin

stricklcstricklc Posts: 34 Deckhand
I see where Frank has made a couple moccasins with the 2011 hull...this boat takes the larger motor 250-300 hp....I was wondering if Frank has done the opposite placed a 2011 cap and liner in a Moccasin hull...Reason I'm asking is I like the low planing speed of the moccasin...BTW I love my 189 and think it is probably the perfect boat for me and I just dont know it yet lol...another question what is the minimum planing speed you guys that used to own the 2011 were able to get? I can only get down to about 17-18 mph on my egret 189 with the merc 150 and the Enertia 3 blade prop...I'd like to get it a little slower...I guess thats 3 questions lol

strick

Replies

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    This is not really what you asked about but the sticker on my Moccasin says rated to 350 HP.
  • stricklcstricklc Posts: 34 Deckhand
    I guess they build the transom on the moc and 2011 the same then...

strick
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    It's the same hull in every way except Moccasin has the 1/2" deep recessed area instead of a pad on the bottom of the keel at the stern.  My understanding is that Frank puts some type of form or block in the mold to create this.

This is what allows it to draft a little less but not run as fast as a 2011.  It was mentioned to me that not having the pad to get up on means the hull doesn't take advantage of higher HP motors as well as a 2011.  I'm sure this is why you see so many 200HP motors on them, and more recently the lightweight Mercury 225.  

• Vinny lVinny l Posts: 354 Deckhand
    edited September 22 #5
    Not sure why my previous comment won't post but if you'd like to discuss this pm me.
  • stricklcstricklc Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Vinny PM sent

It is not uncommon for builders to change the keel especially during the design phase of building the boat. The easiest way is to insert a block that fits into the bottom mold and thus changes the shape. The go fasters have been doing this forever. I understand the differences in the bottom of both boats...my question is that since Frank has built a couple Moccasins with the 2011 hull has he ever done the opposite which would be putting a cap and liner of the 2011 into a Moccasin hull? 

The reason I as is that I like the Moc hull low planing speed...maybe all the extra weight from the 2011 design would effect the Moc hull in a negative way? I hate to call Frank every time I have a question. They have been great sending me a new wiring harness and some touch up gelcoat etc... I appreciate all the response...thanks fellas

strick
  • NoleNole Posts: 211 Deckhand
    TXWahoo said:
    It's the same hull in every way except Moccasin has the 1/2" deep recessed area instead of a pad on the bottom of the keel at the stern.  My understanding is that Frank puts some type of form or block in the mold to create this.

This is what allows it to draft a little less but not run as fast as a 2011.  It was mentioned to me that not having the pad to get up on means the hull doesn't take advantage of higher HP motors as well as a 2011.  I'm sure this is why you see so many 200HP motors on them, and more recently the lightweight Mercury 225.  

I've owned both a Moccasin 210 and an Egret 20'11", and the whole pad vs. non-pad hull has more to do with Frank telling you what you want...

When I purchased my Moccasin and asked about hanging a 250 on it, I was basically told "no", which is pretty ridiculous given the price tag and the cost of the 200 Suzuki that was put on it. Some people actually did get what they wanted and had 250s put on there, and there was a Kevlar with a 225 Merc out there as well, all running around or above 60 mph (which is about what an Egret 2011 runs with a 250 show, 62-65 depending on prop and load).

The Moccasin does draft substantially less, probably 10-11", whereas the Egret drafts 12-14", again depending on load. These are honest, real world numbers from someone that has built, owned, and fished both boats.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I honestly don't think there's that much difference between the two if you put the same motors on them, at least in terms of draft and speed, but I also haven't run the Moccasin with a 250 either. Without the pad, the Moccasin would probably get very squirrelly, but that's just conjecture. Just my two cents.