Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Oysters in Biscayne Bay

2»

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,738 AG
    Bob is right about municipalities running on auto pilot. If you removed all your grass and put rocks you would get cited by code enforcement in many locales.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,434 Officer
    A healthy lawn only needs water, sunlight, and a little care. You should see mine. 30 years and never sprayed - ever.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,467 Captain
    Boy does that bring back a memory or two... Towards the end of my years as a cop I'd moved up in rank far enough that for a year or two my city's Code Enforcement came under my supervision (along with a few other not much fun operations..). With the unit, came their manual (a great big book listing all the City's codes and standards which included everything from how high the grass could be in a residential area to the size of a sign in front of a business..).

Each day my guys would hit the streets with their citation books - but mostly it was a process of warnings and explanations of just what the standards were for this or that.  To put it mildly it was far from any kind of "police work" but did have lot to do with keeping up neighborhoods and business districts... Most of us at one time or another have lived in not so nice places where there are no standards and everything has just gotten ugly (and surprise, surprise... they soon start to attract street corner dope slingers and other nasty type stuff... 

Very glad I'm long, long out of that world (was lucky enough to retire out back in 1995.. went back to school, got my captain's license and I'm still working on the water today... if this virus will ever go away...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666