Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hammered!! @ The Pass

Launched Sunday @ 7am and went to the beach. Many jacks, ladyfish and mackerel. (did keep 2 ladyfish for later) No trout, reds, snook. Lots of big blow-ups on the topwaters, but all "swing and a miss". Into the Morgan river and only one 22" snooklet on a jerkbait. Off to a little mangrove island and more ladyfish. Getting hot and tide slowing, went to the cut south of Dickmans Point. Chunk ladyfish......After 15 minutes, girlfriend says, "look at the shark". It was 20 feet away on top. It turns to the boat and is a 6-foot hammerhead. It swims a couple times near the boat (3-feet away) and then swims off. GF reels in her chunk and 4 feet from the boat, the shark is right behind her bait. I tell her stop reeling and the hammerhead hits the chunk a foot off the gunnel and a foot down. And then heads to Mexico. Drag screaming and then slows. GF fighting it well and another run.....to the mono backing. A few more jerky runs and the 30lb. power pro pops. Reel it in and the braid is "scraped" pretty bad. Oh well. GF had a few minutes of fun.  Did hook 3 more sharks (rays?) but same story...long runs resulting in a new hook, sinker, leader. Thinking of changing from 30 to 50lb line and 30 to 80 mono leader. Just want to see the fish and not feel the tug and nothing.
That's it for now. Still working on the new job trying to find a job :disappointed:
Be safe and I'll be out sometime this week as next weekend is full. Enjoy the 10K!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    edited August 2020 #2
    Sounds like good action, hammerheads are pound for pound the hardest fighting of sharks in my experience. But if cutoffs are a problem in the area you are fishing, it doesn’t matter how heavy a braid you’re using it won’t hold up to abrasion. This is one of many reasons I use mono on all my reels. 

You can try this out for yourself, fold some braid over a pair of dull kiddie scissors, and run it across the blade. Cuts through easy, even on a dull edge. Try the same thing with mono, even a lighter line rating than the braid you used, it will take more force to go through the mono. Just my preference, but I wouldn’t use braid if I was paid to. But to each their own. Best wishes on the job search also.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 948 Officer
      Another reason for mono over braid for sharks and tarpon,mono 
    stretches,braid does not.
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 149 Deckhand
    Braid with a length of flouro for "shock absorption." :)
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    10kman said:
      Another reason for mono over braid for sharks and tarpon,mono 
    stretches,braid does not.
    That’s another reason I will only fish mono mainline. When a tarpon jumps at an angle out away from the angler, or does the greyhound maneuver it really helps to have that give in the mainline. Also there is less stress placed on the leader knot or any rough spots on the mainline that may occur during the fight from submerged hazards.