Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

The beginnings of dinner............crabs......

bswivbswiv Posts: 8,156 Admiral
Had 14 keeper size in the traps off the dock here in Fruit Cove, 12 of which we actually kept to cook. And of those 12 6 were studs and the rest were good. About 8# for the dozen.....which is almost half-again the normal dozen weight of 5 1/2 pounds.

They are in the steamer now.

And off the dock we have hog pellets and some other stuff mixed in and dumped to toss the net of top of here at about dark. Not really after shrimp but rather stink shad, or any sort of shad to reload the crab traps.

Looking better out there...................

Replies

• PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    Good deal Ben, I just put out crab traps today with my fish carcasses from yesterday. I had alot of carcasses and in a couple of the traps I put a couple of carcasses in the main trap area. Didn't know if this is a good idea or should I just put bait inside the bait enclosure?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,156 Admiral
    Pangaman said:
    Good deal Ben, I just put out crab traps today with my fish carcasses from yesterday. I had alot of carcasses and in a couple of the traps I put a couple of carcasses in the main trap area. Didn't know if this is a good idea or should I just put bait inside the bait enclosure?
    If they can reach it without having to go in then they will not.......so.......usually the bait enclosure is best. Better to save the extra bait so you can change it every day or so as that'll catch more crabs.
  • Black WaterBlack Water Posts: 266 Deckhand
    edited August 2020 #4
    There's definitely an up tick in qty in palatka too. Caught 20 in a few traps for some crabbie patties. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing
  • firebonefirebone Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Looks Yummy, back in the day we would net these in Salt Springs.. And then clean and fry them.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,118 Officer
    Very nice. Still hoping for some shrimp but I guess I need to put my brand new fwc crab pot id numbers on my traps and give them a whirl.
  • jglissonjglisson Posts: 9 Deckhand
    How about a good crab patty-ball recipe?
    Checked my traps after leaving overnight. One big crab in each of the 4 traps and 4 smaller ones. What is the recommended time to leave them soak? Overnight, a couple of days?
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,970 Admiral
    edited August 2020 #9
    Those are some big ones.  Makes me want some crab.  You been feeding them good.
    Pangaman said:
    Checked my traps after leaving overnight. One big crab in each of the 4 traps and 4 smaller ones. What is the recommended time to leave them soak? Overnight, a couple of days?Pangaman said:
    Checked my traps after leaving overnight. One big crab in each of the 4 traps and 4 smaller ones. What is the recommended time to leave them soak? Overnight, a couple of days?

Pangaman said:
    Okay......so I hit the wrong button on that last post....twice......getting old sucks!

As to the question. Bait goes south in a hurry when the water is 80-90 degrees as it is now. And regardless of what folks think, crabs prefer fresh over rotten......so.....if the source is available I'd change every day.

And if you plan on holding what you've caught then feeding them with the fresh bait is all the more important as THEY WILL go looking for a way out.....and some of them will find it.

Also worth keeping a eye out for is peelers........which we can discuss at length later.
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 149 Deckhand
    Mr. Ben- getting old does not suck- not getting old sucks. I’m 72. Jes’ funning.
  • Black WaterBlack Water Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Any saltwater carcasses will do. I use shrimp blues pinfish ladyfish. Have to add fresh bait everyday. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing
    we pulled our 4 traps today we put out monday. 6 big crabs and a couple little ones. storms didn't let us get them until today. there was no bait left. one trap had crab carcasses where the big ones ate them. someone left an old trap by the garbage at the boat ramp, will repair and put it to use.