Skip to main content
Home Boating

2018 17’ Mantauk for fishing up to 20 miles out?

ScubaSteveWVScubaSteveWV WVPosts: 13 Deckhand
With the proper GPS, VHF and ERB, would this be a good all around vessel for fishing inshore/offshore.  Any other suggestions are acceptable, thx

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,706 Captain
    For offshore fishing size is your friend.  That said I've been out dozens of times further than that in the Pacific.  Different ocean.  Weather is the key.
  • Yacht_HuckleberryYacht_Huckleberry Clearwater FLPosts: 15 Deckhand
    No. 

It CAN be done on the right day, with perfect weather, and all the right safety gear. Those days are few and far between. If you really have plans to fish 20 miles out with any frequency, I would look for something around 21' at minimum. Your type of fishing will really dictate style of the boat, particularly how shallow of a draft do you need for your inshore fishing. Boats like the Pair Marine 21, Parker 21SE, Jones Brothers 20 are all kind of hybrid designs that would work well inshore but get you offshore safely in reasonable weather conditions. A lot of the big brand boats like Key West, Robalo... etc are all make low-20s size boats that are suitable for inshore/offshore fishing. You just need to find one with the right layout for your needs. 

Of note, I really like the 17 Montauk. In my opinion it is one of the best little boats on the market, and definitely a gem in BWs current lineup. That said, it is really best served as an inshore boat.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
    Sounds like you may already have the boat.  Excellent, unsinkable and great all-around boat.  My dad had one when I was growing up - we fished the areas between Montauk and  Block Island - CT, NY, RI.  Go figure.

Now fishing the east coast of FL w little boats.  Had a 17 CC and have had it 32 miles out and lived - Routinely fished 15-20 miles without a hiccup.  Now I run an 18 ft Lund aluminum w 60 hp tiller and wouldn't hesitate to run 20 miles out on a nice day.  Have seen pontoon boats fishing wrecks 15 miles out...  It is all about the weather.

If I was gonna get an offshore boat it would be a 23-25 cuddy cabin.  Heavy and able to take waves over the bow without taking on any water.  
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 862 Officer
    Best of two worlds, not possible, if you are looking for a boat that can get on skinny water won't be safe offshore, flat bottom, small freeboard, light, all of the thing that makes a boat not suitable for offshore, you may be able to venture one day with all the right conditions, but conditions specially here in Florida can turn on a dime, 20 miles out weather turns and it can easily take you an hour + to get back to port, not fun, like the guys said 23 to 25 footer is my bet to go offshore, I run a 25' WA deep V heavy boat and some times it gets ugly in a matter of 30 minutes, of course everyone takes responsibility for their own safety,, best of luck.

Cheers     
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 422 Deckhand
    Sometimes it's not the going out that's a problem. It's the getting back inside. In an inlet the waves can really stack up with tide change.  Bring an extra pair of underwear. One day you will need it.