Home General Hunting

New Hunter - Ocala Pipeline Quota

coolhands77coolhands77 TitusvillePosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hey everyone, I was able to get a general gun quota permit for Ocala Pipeline this season. Maps that I could are kinda lousy but it looks like the “pipeline” section includes most of the south side of the Ocala WMA. Anyone know of any better maps? I use google earth and hunstand, but I wanna make sure I’m in the right spot. 

I’m new to hunting and haven’t hunted any WMAs except for small game. Any tips would be much appreciated. 

Replies

• MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 715 Officer
    Welcome to the forum. Buckle up for the ride.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,960 Captain
    Welcome. Don’t know anything about that particular area. Suggest you call the regional office and hopefully talk with a biologist. Good luck.
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Pretty much everything south of 40 
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 102 Deckhand
    If you are seeing dog boxes your in the right spot if not you probably aren’t 
  • Rookie77Rookie77 Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Not a better map, but you can download the WMA map on the Avenza app for free.  Then when you are out there, it will show you where you are on the map, even without cell service.  Pretty useful.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,456 Admiral
    D Boone used a Compass. and crossed half of a Country ..just  sayin..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    drew a tag up there too, may try and get in a lie season hunt there with a buddy. best of luck.
  • coolhands77coolhands77 TitusvillePosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies!
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 1,020 Officer
    dont hunt near the public shooting range.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 663 Officer
    Hey everyone, I was able to get a general gun quota permit for Ocala Pipeline this season. Maps that I could are kinda lousy but it looks like the “pipeline” section includes most of the south side of the Ocala WMA. Anyone know of any better maps? I use google earth and hunstand, but I wanna make sure I’m in the right spot. 

I’m new to hunting and haven’t hunted any WMAs except for small game. Any tips would be much appreciated. 

Download Avenza PDF Maps on your phone in the app go to their store & get Ocala National Forrest Road Use Maps (Free) I have hunted the area in the past around F.R.9-F.R.50 main grade roads are wide other roads are pretty narrow & will scratch your vehicle if that matters to you,If you didn't know that is a Dog Hunt area expect to see Trucks/Dogs (We Run Hounds Too) 
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,379 Officer
    wilburz said:
    dont hunt near the public shooting range.
    Yes please don't hunt near there there's not any bucks near there anyways 😁
  • wolftownwolftown Lehigh acresPosts: 9 Deckhand
    Anyone have any tips on where to enter or if it's better to still hunt or get a tree stand? I pulled a pipeline quota as well will be my first real hunt. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,567 Captain
    edited November 2020 #15
    I couldn’t even tell you how to get there, but I know that there was a gobbler strutting in the shooting range parking lot last spring. 

If you run across a skunky smell while out there, know that you’ve found Zimmerman’s area. Hunt there.  :D
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    I couldn’t even tell you how to get there, but I know that there was a gobbler strutting in the shooting range parking lot last spring. 

If you run across a skunky smell while out there, know that you’ve found Zimmerman’s area. Hunt there.  :D
    Just made my day jonsred!! I needed a good laugh. As far as checking in theres nothing to do until after you shoot a deer. Then just the requirements for logging in your kill. There are 7 or 8 different stores you can take your deer too afterwards and they'll check it for you but nothing as far as checking in before hunting. 

Factory i work at just shutdown whole facility until Friday and they think im coming in Saturday first day of gun season to work for regular pay they're high. Ima be in treestand all day long 
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    We will be up there dog hunting it this weekend.  Going to be fun!  Good luck and have your ORANGE on!
    We will be up there dog hunting it this weekend.  Going to be fun!  Good luck and have your ORANGE on!

Both of these guys are in pipeline. Not too far apart from each other either. Top picture is just past camp sozo and bottom one is just past the road you take to go to mill dam. FR 79 i believe the road is called. Good luck and get after em!! Should be plenty of legal bucks to kill this year I would think 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,535 Captain
    Man, I used to dog hunt that area when I was in 5th grade with my dad and his friends. Great times.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,960 Captain
    Have a great opening weekend there folks. Be safe and have fun!
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    I am looking forward to hearing the dogs on a chase tomorrow morning!  We will have about 10 trucks hunting in our group.  I have the 3 1/2" mag. ready and have some new 0000 buckshot as well.  I grew up dog hunting in Lake Butler back when it was a management area.  I am looking forward to a super fun weekend!  I do wish it was going to be a little cooler.  My wife and daughter got a good laugh at me last night.  I was packing and put on my orange vest without a shirt underneath it and walked out into the living room.  When I announced this was probably how I would be dressed, they both almost fell out of their chairs.
  • tommysietommysie Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    yessir, sittin with my bow half naked is the way to go here in florida lamooo      :D