Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

OKAY....SNAPPER THROATS COOKING TUTORIAL

Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
Feeding off the other thread of what Ben advised....as to the keeping and cooking of Snapper heads and throats....I shot some pics of my dinner last night as they went into the oven.

It's a very simple way to maximize your snappers and groupers, and let me tell ya, one throat from a 12 pound snapper is a meal !!

Basically, I cut the throats out, wash and split them down the middle  ( kinda like a chicken breast ) so they'll lay flat.

and you just need to slather with some olive oil, and some seasoning of your choice....in this case a little Everglades.....then place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.....and cook for about 7 minutes or so.....at that time i'll switch it over to broil for another minute or two to make it sizzle....and browns it a bit

I finished mine off with a half a sweet potato, and a salad.....along with some fresh sweet tea !!.....Wooo !!

I was half done with it before I took pics of how it'll "pick".....it's alot like picking the meat from a big ol dungenese crab, as the meat comes out in nice big boneless chunks !!  And I'm serious, I was full when i got finished, .....

Not to mention, it is by far the sweetest part of the whole fish, IMO.......

As far as the heads are concerned, the backbones and the heads were given to an Indian neighbor of mine for soups and stew....basically the only thing wasted was some roe, and a few guts !!

So Mr Ben is right.....you don't know what you're missing by not saving the throats and heads of the big fish.....grouper, snapper , big mangos, muttons, big sheepsheads, and even the big triggers have a giant piece of throat meat !!

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
     Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. 
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,417 Captain
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    I did almost the exact same thing with a snapper throat last week except I cooked mine on the grill - scales left on.  That kept it from potentially drying out.  Was a bit surprised at how tender the meat was and you're right - the throat off a decent sized snapper is a hefty serving for an adult.  Quite a bit of meat on those snapper throats.  Next year I'm hoping to work on saving heads and carcasses to make some fish stock and fish soup or stew.
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 52 Deckhand
    Awesome post. Thankfully an old timers shows me how to clean snapper throats.
     There is not many videos online to show you how it’s done. If anybody can find a good one I’m sure the community would benefit from it.

its pretty simple. Just need a good pair of shears to cut through the bone behind the gils, work your way from the leftovers up to where the underside of the gills meet up.

i haven’t had much luck with snapper cheeks, only a small nugget is back there. It takes a small sharp knife and is not worth the time IMO. Might be with it on a huge snapper tho.

I’d be interested in how people make fish broth and how long it lasts In the freezer, I’m guessing for ever?
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
    ACTUALLY.....the snapper throats come off pretty easy.....if you'll notice the pointy looking bones out to each side, those are flat, and on a hing so to speak.....once you cut along the gills, and free the throat, you simply grab it and break it down, and the hinge will separate, then all that's left is to slice a little cartilage, to free it up.

I'll get a detailed picture after our mutton trip !! 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,045 Admiral
    Sea Snake said:
    ACTUALLY.....the snapper throats come off pretty easy.....if you'll notice the pointy looking bones out to each side, those are flat, and on a hing so to speak.....once you cut along the gills, and free the throat, you simply grab it and break it down, and the hinge will separate, then all that's left is to slice a little cartilage, to free it up.

I'll get a detailed picture after our mutton trip !! 

Yep, once you learn to separate those two flat bones and cut in between them you are home free. You will struggle if you do not do that. Great explanation for the uniformed.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ShedheadShedhead Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Picked up a stud of porgie.. the throat was a solid meal. The  bone or more accurately joint trick worked on this fish as well, the joint is covered with more skin but can be found easily enough.  Little everglades, on a hot grill with a couple chunks of oak for that smokey goodness, little squeeze of lime....  num num num.. 
    But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 319 Deckhand
    thanks gents.  I will start doing this but it makes me sick that I threw all that waste meat away.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.