Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Where to take a kid to fish?

usncorpsman24usncorpsman24 JacksonvillePosts: 8 Deckhand
My 5 year old son is absolutely obsessed with fishing. I’ve been taking him pond fishing to catch bass and some smaller fish but I’d love to take him to catch something bigger. Anyone have any suggestions on where to take him to catch redfish or something of similar size? Also, it’s been awhile since I’ve been saltwater fishing myself so I’d love to get some input on what bait to use and how to rig it. I’m sure no one want to give up their “secret spot” but a general area where we’d have a good chance at catching something would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in and advance!

Replies

• artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Doc: welcome to the forum. If you want to get him on a redfish, your best best is to head toward saltwater. Are you bank fishing? If so, I’d try taking him to browns creek fish camp and fishing off their pier. If you buy bait from them, the pier is either cheap or free. Call ahead and ask them what tide they recommend fishing, and go then.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 462 Deckhand
    There are flounder right near/under the palm valley bridge.  You can fish from shore with a live shrimp on a float or jig head.  There is also a great free pier under the 207 bridge that is protected from the sun.  Great spot.  
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 861 Officer
    Nassau sound bridge always seem to have a lot of people catching some nice fish. Stop at browns creek bait shop and buy some shrimp on the way. Or if you have a cast net you can try to net some mullet off the beach near the bridge. Use a 1/0 hook, a short leader and an egg sinker. Buy some different size egg sinkers to use depending on the current. If you don't like fishing off the bridge itself, I have seen people catching fish off the beach next to the bridge. Its a pretty area up there and nice for your boy to run around, find stuff on the beach, ect.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,015 Officer
    The surf is a little slow right now but in another month it will start to heat up with the mullet run. Very simple fishing with lots of variety.  Right now most of the big fish are sharks and a 5 year old would need a little help but I put some 4 to 12 year olds on some good ones this week along with a lot of small whiting. 
  • fsunole123fsunole123 St Augustine Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Hey my son and I are trying to fish as well.  My oldest is almost 5.  We might do surf fishing so he can also play in the sand but he enjoys vilano pier (despite not a ton of action fishing) since he can watch the boats.  But he also enjoyed goerge craby bridge since there were a number of other people fishing there.  I believe someone else mentioned that above.  I'm also always interested in learning about new places as well.
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 279 Deckhand
    edited August 4 #7
    My 5 year old son is absolutely obsessed with fishing. I’ve been taking him pond fishing to catch bass and some smaller fish but I’d love to take him to catch something bigger. Anyone have any suggestions on where to take him to catch redfish or something of similar size? Also, it’s been awhile since I’ve been saltwater fishing myself so I’d love to get some input on what bait to use and how to rig it. I’m sure no one want to give up their “secret spot” but a general area where we’d have a good chance at catching something would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in and advance!

Were you able to get him out?  I would be happy to take the two of you with me if you are interested. It won't cost you anything and I'll have all the necessary equipment. 

https://playinghookyinshorefishing.business.site/
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,581 Captain
    Classy move BD!  i thought the same as I need to get a couple of my nephews out too... but with a new born the wife is skittish right now.. smh
  • usncorpsman24usncorpsman24 JacksonvillePosts: 8 Deckhand

Were you able to get him out?  I would be happy to take the two of you with me if you are interested. It won't cost you anything and I'll have all the necessary equipment. 

Hey Bill! I took him out to the dock by the Jim king  boat ramp with no luck. Funny story though my father in law actually took him out with you a few weeks ago! I believe you have pictures of him on your website! He had an absolute blast with you and I’ve been wanting to experience that with him myself. Unfortunately I don’t have a boat so all of fishing has to be done from the shore and we’ve had no luck so far!

Hey Bill! I took him out to the dock by the Jim king  boat ramp with no luck. Funny story though my father in law actually took him out with you a few weeks ago! I believe you have pictures of him on your website! He had an absolute blast with you and I’ve been wanting to experience that with him myself. Unfortunately I don’t have a boat so all of fishing has to be done from the shore and we’ve had no luck so far!
    What a small world,

You son was great, here's the Google review and my response.

3 weeks ago-
    I did a charter trip with Captain Bill and my 5-year-old grandson during a recent visit to Jacksonville. It was a blast. Bill is a great guy and has wonderful patience for young anglers. We did a 4-hour charter and caught at least 20 fish. Jacks, Trout, Reds and a flounder. It was catching, not fishing and my grandson will never forget it. We will be back out with Bill and I recommend you give it a go as well.
    Response from the owner3 weeks ago
    Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a review. I thoroughly enjoyed our time on the water, seeing the smiles on his face is exactly why I love to take people fishing. The enthusiasm, discipline, and determination in such a young man is very rare these days. He will certainly make a mark on the fishing world and anything he sets his mind to.

Tight Lines,
    Captain Bill

Of course I wouldn't want to lose you Father in laws future business...LOL  but I still stand by my offer and will be happy to take the two of you out. 
    During our trip I'll do my best to give you any advice I can that may help when you go out on your own.

What a small world,

3 weeks ago-
    I did a charter trip with Captain Bill and my 5-year-old grandson during a recent visit to Jacksonville. It was a blast. Bill is a great guy and has wonderful patience for young anglers. We did a 4-hour charter and caught at least 20 fish. Jacks, Trout, Reds and a flounder. It was catching, not fishing and my grandson will never forget it. We will be back out with Bill and I recommend you give it a go as well.
    Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a review. I thoroughly enjoyed our time on the water, seeing the smiles on his face is exactly why I love to take people fishing. The enthusiasm, discipline, and determination in such a young man is very rare these days. He will certainly make a mark on the fishing world and anything he sets his mind to.

Tight Lines,
    Captain Bill

Of course I wouldn't want to lose you Father in laws future business...LOL  but I still stand by my offer and will be happy to take the two of you out. 
    During our trip I'll do my best to give you any advice I can that may help when you go out on your own.
    Yeah if you’re still willing to than I would love to take you up on your offer. The advice would be greatly appreciated, I’ve done a lot of fishing myself but it’s always been offshore in a boat. To this day he still talks about how much fun he had out there with you, I’d love to be able to experience that for myself. And don’t worry, I told my father-in-law about this and he said he’s definitely going to be reaching out to you for more trips in his future visits to Jax!

What a small world,

3 weeks ago-

Tight Lines,
    Captain Bill

Yeah if you’re still willing to than I would love to take you up on your offer. The advice would be greatly appreciated, I’ve done a lot of fishing myself but it’s always been offshore in a boat. To this day he still talks about how much fun he had out there with you, I’d love to be able to experience that for myself. And don’t worry, I told my father-in-law about this and he said he’s definitely going to be reaching out to you for more trips in his future visits to Jax!
    PM sent
    edited August 13 #13
    Took Bill up on his offer to go out yesterday and had an absolute BLAST! My son had a fantastic time, we were catching fish and getting bites within the first 20 minutes of getting to our spot. Ended up catching 2 nice sized reds, 1 smaller red and a 3-4 ft bonnethead shark. Over all it was a fantastic day on the water, Bill is a class act and I would highly recommend you reach out to him if you’re planning on chartering a trip out. 

edited August 13 #14
    Thanks for the kind words, I had as much fun as the two of you did. I'm sure that i will never forget that day. Also Thank you for your service.

Tight Lines
    Bill

• DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,051 Captain
    Awesome of you Bill !!