Home Off Topic

What was your favorite live concert

HOME DEPOT GEORGEHOME DEPOT GEORGE Posts: 643 Officer
Starting when I was about14 or 15 we had a tight knit group of friends that would go to Grateful Dead shows in NY,NJ,PA,DC pretty much anywhere in the northeast anywhere from 5 to 10 shows a year but my favorite one was 1987 summer when Dylan and the Dead played together at Giants stadium. It was at least a 4 hr show with a few breaks and they had some sort of high pressure hoses around the upper rim of the stadium spraying a mist if water over the stadium. Anyone who has never been to one it's very surreal when the majority of the 75000 people were on LSD or some other pharmaceutical.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Went to the Dead concert in Miami stadium in I think it was 87 or 88.  My buddies Mom lived next to Bob Marley's wife in Coral Gables.  Hanging out back that Friday night w Ziggy and his crew was pretty fun.  The next morning we went to the stadium and enjoyed walking through the parking lot vendors...  Pink Floyd in Tampa Stadium around the same time.  Page and Plant at the Ice Palace a few years later was also good.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,072 Captain
    Too many to list back in the day, but a few standouts:

Styx Mr. Roboto show, Hollywood Sportatorium.

Yes, 90210, Hollywood Sportatorium.

Van Halen, VH II, Hollywood Sportatorium.

Rush, Subdivisions, Hollywood Sportatorium.

The Firm, Mean Business, Hollywood Sportatorium.

Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder, Tampa Stadium, old Sombrero

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,792 AG
    edited July 23 #4
    Hard to remember a lot of them. I go to 10-15 a year (until recently, of course)

Death at the Local 662 in St. Pete a couple years back, Authority Zero in Tucson, AZ about 2004, or Toots and the Maytals at Jannus a while back.
  • HOME DEPOT GEORGEHOME DEPOT GEORGE Posts: 643 Officer
    I think the "cleanest show I've ever seen was The Steve Miller band at the King Center in 2011. I swear if you took a recording of the concert and put it side by side with a studio recording you couldn't tell the difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,113 AG
    I saw the Eagles in Orlando 1994, Tallahassee 2003, and February 2020 in Atlanta right before all this covid BS started.

Definitely my favorites.  George Strait puts on a good show, too. 
    Warning Level 2
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    Metallica back in the early 90s.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,416 Captain
    Wille Nelson, years ago.  I was lucky enough to meet him on his bus and sat on stage at the event.
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,588 Captain
    edited July 23 #9
    Several concerts rank up there at the top. The Who 1982 in the Tangerine bowl (see stub below...held on to a few of my early concert stubs) was my most memorable. The Clash in the Orlando Jai alai 1983...was so freaking cool!  April Wine early 80's rocked! Steve Miller a couple years back was incredible! 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,651 Admiral

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Parker boyParker boy Posts: 175 Deckhand
    A lot of youngsters here. I saw Janis, Jimi, and The Doors in '69, not together but great concerts. Jefferson Airplane in '68 comes to mind. Saw the Allman Bros for the first time when they were the "Allman Joys" then 8-10 times after their name change. They grew up with a friend of mine and we would hang out with them in Macon.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,871 Admiral
    I don’t think I can pick out a favorite but at the time I enjoyed almost all of the concerts that I attended. I always favored the smaller venue more intimate concerts than the large auditorium type concerts.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 8,609 Moderator
    Gardawg said:

I wish.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited July 23 #15

About 8:02 it gets crazy. Can you name all of them?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,463 Officer
    Orlando
    The Rolling Stones with Santana as their opening act
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,277 AG
    Dio

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    Dio
    I love Dio ,it always amazed me that at 5'4" 120lbs soaking wet he could hit notes that most heavy metal singers could only dream of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,871 Admiral
    There was a place in Fort Lauderdale called the Musicians Exchange back in the 70's early 80's. Very intimate setting. A couple hundred people. I saw the band War there and that was a neat show. I also saw America at the Swimming Hall of fame pool and that was only a few hundred people also. I failed to mention, my favorite was not a true concert but being up close and personal watching DAC rehearse in Key West for a tour. That was about the time he put out the X rated album. I cannot even mention any of the songs on that or I will be banned. Maybe Mike Gonz will invite me to Belize to fish and party..

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,007 AG
    Jimi and Janis at the Aerodrome, Grateful dead in 75 whole summer tour and again in 81.  Sold french fries for a living.  Zeppelin, Floyd 3 times, Jimmy on the beach in KW, Judas Priest, Yes in the round, (do the mushrooms bring Yes or does Yes bring the mushrooms?) Took a long break and more recently, Tedeschi Trucks, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Umphrey's Mcgee, Widespread Panic but the best show ever was probably Clapton's Crossroads.  Had tickets for summer camp this year but that didn't happen.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,267 Admiral
    I went to a ton of them starting in 1970 with Grand Funk and Blood rock at Pirate's World.

I was a rock and roll music fanatic, but I never did get the whole thing about the Grateful Dead. I didn't like one song they ever had. Not one. I'll take Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, The Who, and a ton of other rock and roll bands. I just couldn't see the point of the Grateful Dead's music. If others like that I have no problem with it everybody likes their own style of music and that's good with me.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,277 AG
    mplspug said:
    Dio
    I love Dio ,it always amazed me that at 5'4" 120lbs soaking wet he could hit notes that most heavy metal singers could only dream of.
    Lol, I am not a metal guy, but that was my first concert as a teenager.  I have to admit it was entertaining with the giant animatronics and fire.

Captain Todd Approves

AC Man said:
    I went to a ton of them starting in 1970 with Grand Funk and Blood rock at Pirate's World.

I was a rock and roll music fanatic, but I never did get the whole thing about the Grateful Dead. I didn't like one song they ever had. Not one. I'll take Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, The Who, and a ton of other rock and roll bands. I just couldn't see the point of the Grateful Dead's music. If others like that I have no problem with it everybody likes their own style of music and that's good with me.
    The music was not bad, the sugar mags everywhere twirling was fantastic.  Needing rides to the next show...Me with my long Dodge van, just out of the Marines, summer of sex...
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,119 Officer
    The grateful dead was before my time really.. not the music but the shows they put on. My first big concert was Metallica in '94 was a great show but you pretty much knew what you were getting before it started. One of my most memorable was live at cornell university before they even had any soundtracks out. About 300 people but they were a joy to see. Went to a Krockathon right after I got out of time out for couple years and staind three days grace disturbed amd puddle of mud all played on that day was about as real as anything I've been a part of in one single day. That being said though I've never witnessed anything close to 75 thousand strong all with a healthy appetite for lsd😬...surreal would be an understatemen . I've never been shy about admitting I love to party and never been much of a role model but dabbled in LSD a little bit right out of high school, even had a couple times buddies and I ate some before homeroom just to see who could last the longest before heading out the door and I lost every time. With a 20 year hiatus on that experiments i may or may not have ran into some unfortunatley 2 weeks ago up in New York and before i knew it i was a complete mess with myself all night long!!! Took me 3 days to get most of my muscles to stop hurting from laughing  so much. Needless to say at 41 its definitely last time this body parties like its 1999 again!😁
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,198 Captain
    edited July 24 #25

There have been quite a few ... starting in 1968.

The photos began around 1972.

Found some without my name, date, and copyright on them. 
    It's a tossup ... would rather maintain some shred of anonminity, and file suit later, if and when needed.
    Which is to say, I'm litigious ... so these are not for sharing or public consumption.
    ( Just finished 5 years of litigation against a national publisher, and more is pending. )

Bruce Springsteen - Ambassador Theater

Keith Godchaux - Sound Check - Fox Theater

Jeff Baxter - with the Doobie Bros. -  Mississippi River Festival

ZZ-Top   ... pre-beard ... Kiel Auditorium ... opening act.

Jerry Garcia - Sound Check - Fox Theater

Todd Rundgren - Kiel Opera House  -  

A few years ago, he complained about a "lack of masculinity" in Rock & Roll. 

( Yes, I have considered blackmail ... )

Jimi and Janis at the Aerodrome, Grateful dead in 75 whole summer tour and again in 81.  Sold french fries for a living.  Zeppelin, Floyd 3 times, Jimmy on the beach in KW, Judas Priest, Yes in the round, (do the mushrooms bring Yes or does Yes bring the mushrooms?) Took a long break and more recently, Tedeschi Trucks, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Umphrey's Mcgee, Widespread Panic but the best show ever was probably Clapton's Crossroads.  Had tickets for summer camp this year but that didn't happen.

Which Crossroads did you get to?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,651 Admiral
    RStyle said:
    Orlando
    The Rolling Stones with Santana as their opening act
    That was a great concert ... this was my first Stones concert ...Tuscaloosa Alabama ... 1970 (maybe) Rolling Stones with Stevie Wonder as the opening act.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,853 Captain

There have been quite a few ... starting in 1968.

The photos began around 1972.

Found some without my name, date, and copyright on them. 
    It's a tossup ... would rather maintain some shred of anonminity, and file suit later, when needed.
    Which is to say, I'm litigious ... so these are not for sharing or public consumption.
    ( Just finished 5 years of litigation against a national publisher, and more is pending. )

Bruce Springsteen - Ambassador Theater

Keith Godchaux - Sound Check - Fox Theater

Jeff Baxter - with the Doobie Bros. -  Mississippi River Festival

ZZ-Top   ... pre-beard ... Kiel Auditorium ... opening act.

Jerry Garcia - Sound Check - Fox Theater

Todd Rundgren - Kiel Opera House  -  

A few years ago, he complained about a "lack of masculinity" in Rock & Roll. 

( Yes, I have considered blackmail ... )

Great stuff! I have a lot of old images. I'm making a studio in the house and I need more. Do you sell any?

I've been to hundreds and hundreds of shows. 

Eric Clapton and stevie Ray Vaughns last show Alpine Valley

ACDC Back in Black
    Nugent with opening band Van Halen (first show)
    Prince (final show at the Fox)
    Metallica at the Metroplex maybe 85 only 75 people there
    REM many many times

We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
    I think Nugent was the loudest show i've been to they opened for Aerosmith at the Meadowlands arena in 86. I have to be honest I wish Nugent would have played the whole show and I think that was the sentiment of the crowd too but I still love Aerosmith maybe they were just off their game that night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 24 #30
    I think the loudest show I ever went to was Drivin' n Cryin"  at Chastain Park. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

2004 in Dallas.