Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

No Drifters

shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
It would be SO much better if everyone were to drift the wrecks and reefs versus anchoring up 5 feet apart.  

Replies

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 319 Deckhand
    How about this.  We were working (drifting) a great spot this morning for about 45 minutes when a smaller cuddy came up, circled us at about 50'(twice), then went about 50'away, dropped anchor and ran up the Diver Down flag.  At first I was unconcerned,  but when I moved back up current to drift the spot, the guy pointed to the flag and the divers just entering the water, and indicated we needed to back out of the safe zone.  Needless to say, I was bent.  Maybe, just maybe, I disregarded his BS move.  I may be in the wrong but he clearly knew what we were doing and trying to push us off is BS in my book.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I saw too many jerk moves to mention yesterday.  Bullies mad me the maddest
  • Family TraditionFamily Tradition Posts: 98 Deckhand
    I had people anchor in line of an active drift line 4 times today. Made the day fairly difficult and not plesant. A little common courtesy goes a long way. 
  • Space AnglerSpace Angler Posts: 10 Deckhand
    On weekends like this, it’s tough to think you’re going to be able to drift over commonly known spots for extended periods without someone coming in and spot locking on some part of the reef/ wreck with their trolling motor.   It’s just the reality of the numbers and technology.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 59 Deckhand
    I  will respect that Divers flag whenever I run to a spot and their there. But when a boat comes to where I am fishing and puts up a Diver flag, I will give him the same respect and courtesy he gives me none!  What comes around goes around. I have run 30 miles to a spot just to find divers already there. No problem I respect the Divers and move on, no difference if he makes the same run. 
  • slightlystonedslightlystoned st augustinePosts: 22 Deckhand
    It's a mess out there during the day, I just try and stick with night fishing during snapper season. They're spawning so they're pretty active at night and no other boats around
  • Reel FunReel Fun Posts: 25 Deckhand
    I saw a similar incident with the diver flag trick. Not very sportsman like
  • dontezumadontezuma Posts: 263 Deckhand
    As a guy who ran both fishing and diving trips this weekend - I wholeheartedly agree - that's a total d!ck move, dropping a flag next to an active fisherman and waving him off.  That gives divers a bad name and increases animosity among the two communities.  
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,113 Captain
    cftsmoke said:
    How about this.  We were working (drifting) a great spot this morning for about 45 minutes when a smaller cuddy came up, circled us at about 50'(twice), then went about 50'away, dropped anchor and ran up the Diver Down flag.  At first I was unconcerned,  but when I moved back up current to drift the spot, the guy pointed to the flag and the divers just entering the water, and indicated we needed to back out of the safe zone.  Needless to say, I was bent.  Maybe, just maybe, I disregarded his BS move.  I may be in the wrong but he clearly knew what we were doing and trying to push us off is BS in my book.
    Had the exact same thing happen to us it was a robalo cuddy named Donna Jeanne. We had been anchored up fishing for a few hours and he pulls up and dumps divers next to us maybe 50 feet away. We had diver bubbles all around the boat completely shut down the bite and then when i pull up the anchor i pull up one more time to drift the spot and he has the audacity to point to the dive flag and say he has divers. I cussed him out and told him it was a two way street since we had been there for hours and he pulled right up on us. Plenty of posts on FB of divers doing the same to other people all over jax.
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 319 Deckhand
    fsu11 said:
    cftsmoke said:
    Had the exact same thing happen to us it was a robalo cuddy named Donna Jeanne. We had been anchored up fishing for a few hours and he pulls up and dumps divers next to us maybe 50 feet away. We had diver bubbles all around the boat completely shut down the bite and then when i pull up the anchor i pull up one more time to drift the spot and he has the audacity to point to the dive flag and say he has divers. I cussed him out and told him it was a two way street since we had been there for hours and he pulled right up on us. Plenty of posts on FB of divers doing the same to other people all over jax.

That sounds about right.  Guy was cutting a wide path this weekend.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • AltonAlton St AugustinePosts: 117 Deckhand
    As a diver and a fisherman the last thing I would want to do is make enemies offshore. COMMUNICATION is key. At 9 mile off st auggy we were looking for a spot to dive since the outterplanes had boats on all numbers that I had. There was a boat that appered to lifting his anchor with his windless. In all honesty i was a little jealous since i knew Chris my "windless" for the day had already pulled enough in one day for any man. It was gonna be my turn next time around so i wanted to make it count. After about 15-20 mins i motored over after several attemps with the vhf and no success. Asked if he was leaving but he was trying to reposition, so we moved on. Finally finding small structure to dive on. Holding good size snapper. And even bigger bull sharks... courtesy and communication will always prevail. Glad someone got description of boat because i was in a smaller cuddy and don't other anglers posing judgment on the ones who do try to do the right thing. Was also jealous of the spot locks but surely would never wish a dead battery on another angler. 
    As divers or fishermen we have to respect one another and help one another when in need. 
  • islandrunislandrun North EastPosts: 14 Deckhand
    With limited mini South Atlantic Red Snapper Season and a 1 take rule, there should be a separate mini season for Divers.  On the other hand any Divers trying to go out at sun up during mini season should understand that it'll be tough going. Also there should be a no anchor rule on public numbers, this includes spot lock.  I mean come on, since  "they've" already implemented a descending device and non-off set circle hooks requirement, why not.  Fished East Central and the guide passed some numbers for diving and wouldn't fish there.  .   
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,417 Captain
    cftsmoke said:
    That's BS! If you were there first working the area, they have no right to come take over...People are such Aholes on the water...Not all but there are a lot.