Home General Hunting

Long range in South Florida

Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 123 Deckhand
My uncle bought me a Winchester xpr in 270 as an early 18th birthday present. I want to start leaning how to shoot longer distances and have looked online, the longest around me is 300 yards at the palm beach shooting center but it isnt open yet. I would really like to try shooting farther within the next year, 400+ yards but the only range that far has a $225 membership. Any suggestions on where to go?

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,487 Captain
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 680 Officer
    That was an awesome gift from your uncle.
    400 yards is a far poke for a .270. A 130 gr bullet will drop over 19" at that range.
     Good luck Ryan
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 166 Deckhand
    H20dad said:
    Immokalee?
    Is there an range in Immokalee?
  • Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Immokalee is way more expensive than the one I was talking about, $120 a month is insane just for a range
    MCSHunter said:
    That was an awesome gift from your uncle.
    400 yards is a far poke for a .270. A 130 gr bullet will drop over 19" at that range.
     Good luck Ryan
    He was planning on buying a rifle for my cousin for 400 but then we saw the xpr on clearance for 150 a piece and he got us both a rifle.
    I plan on shooting at 200 for a while. I was just asking because I couldnt find a range longer than 300 and was interested if there was one that I was missing.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    I think the one in Okeechobee does a long range shoot once a month if i remember correctly. Give them a call and see if they still do it.  
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 605 Officer
    300 yards is plenty enough for hunting in Florida. Most people can testify that most kills are within 150 yards.  Shooting from a stand with a moving target takes skill compared to range shooting. 

300 yards is plenty enough for hunting in Florida. Most people can testify that most kills are within 150 yards.  Shooting from a stand with a moving target takes skill compared to range shooting. 

Nothing is fully set right now, but I might be going on a hunt in Arizona for mule deer. And while I probably wont take a shot past 300 because of drop, I would still like to get comfortable at long ranges
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,109 Moderator
    Ryan91027 said:

Nothing is fully set right now, but I might be going on a hunt in Arizona for mule deer. And while I probably wont take a shot past 300 because of drop, I would still like to get comfortable at long ranges
    Max sure you research and understand "max point blank range" and you know what it is for the caliber and round which you are shooting. Do not follow the ballistics on the box. Use a ballistic calculator to approximate what the bullet should be doing and confirm it during your long range testing. From there you could extrapolate to some further distances.
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    I believe the range in immokalee is called "tradecraft"its rather expensive. if you have a few bucks and a weekend to burn, consider a trip to Peacemaker Training center in West Virginia, great intro to long range course, if your gear is up to par they will have you banging steel at 1000 by the end of the day.
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Long range shooting is easier than most people think, just takes a lot of time.   
    .270 is a great round, slightly better performance than the newly popular 6.5 creedmore.  If you can shoot it within 1-1.5 moa at 100 you can definitely shoot it up to 500 with a standard reticle.  If you want to go farther you will need a ballistic reticle or a dialing scope.  A good range finder is a must.

My cheap $200 gun(high end bullets and optics) is good to 800 yards.  I've had 12 year olds who have never shot past 100 ring the steel first shot at 600.  All I had to do is get the bipod lined up and show them what hash mark to hold on.
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 170 Deckhand
    I should clarify that 800 isn't the max range, just my max comfortable range. 

Also this is target shooting, not hunting. As my name suggest when a shooter buck steps out my range drops to about 120 yards lol.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 774 Officer
    my long range shooting facility changes every year    depending on the wma im gonna hunt.
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    here here is my 2 cents for what it is worth start shooting at 100-200 yards and save your money to buy good glass after 150-200 yards quality glass starts becoming a big play it’s very hard to be accurate if you are having problems seeing what you are shooting at find the load that your rifle likes the best at a 100 and hone that skill before jumping to 3-500 to where you get frustrated cause you are fighting your skill and equipment 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 504 Officer
    Thanks Uncle!  Great gun.

You trip should be fun.  Most critters are shot inside 200 yards but being able to reach a bit is good too.  
  • Sniper119Sniper119 PSL, FLPosts: 5 Deckhand
    Okeechobee Shooting Sports does a once a month long range out to 500 yards but you have to get on the list to do it.  As stated above get a good piece of glass as it makes the difference.  I know i will probably catch grief but i spend @ 3x's what the rifle cost me on glass.  Start at 100 yards and get dialed in and document what your 100 yard zero is there then start working your way out in 50 yard increments documenting each adjustment you make out to whatever distance you want to shoot.  I keep a 100 yard zero on everything i own but have the "dope" out to whatever calibers effective range is.  Shoot in all weather conditions and time of day as it will all effect what your zero is.  .270 is a great round and effective. 
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,331 Officer
    Sniper119 said:
    Okeechobee Shooting Sports does a once a month long range out to 500 yards but you have to get on the list to do it.  As stated above get a good piece of glass as it makes the difference.  I know i will probably catch grief but i spend @ 3x's what the rifle cost me on glass.  Start at 100 yards and get dialed in and document what your 100 yard zero is there then start working your way out in 50 yard increments documenting each adjustment you make out to whatever distance you want to shoot.  I keep a 100 yard zero on everything i own but have the "dope" out to whatever calibers effective range is.  Shoot in all weather conditions and time of day as it will all effect what your zero is.  .270 is a great round and effective. 
    Wont catch any grief from me got lots of gun **** buddies who live by those rifle to glass words. I'm about exact opposite though I dont own any glass that costs more than 250 bucks but I guess regardless of my caliber I'm shooting 300 yards seems to be my max. Shot a few buddies bench rests that dialed in by them I'm dropping steel plates out to 500 on first shot. You get what you pay for pretty much 
  • ComandanteComandante Posts: 290 Deckhand
    Congratulations on your recent .270 acquisition ! All of the previous posts are certainly spot on an are steering you in the right direction. I cannot overemphasize, shoot as many rounds per month as you can afford so as to become proficient with your gun and selected load. If necessary, use a .22 rim fire rifle to develop your breathing and trigger skills. Attached is a photo of one of the crutches I use for long range in the field situation. The depicted ballistic drop table, taped to my scope, used along with a relatively inexpensive range finder will put the bullet on target. 
    OBTW, the gun in the photo is a 1963 Rem ADL