Skip to main content
Home Boating

SCOUTS

TheNSBkidTheNSBkid Boca RatonPosts: 70 Deckhand
dear scout owners, id like to know your opinions on your boats! I have a 2017 275 lxf and I ******* HATE it! every time I take it offshore something breaks down on it. last two times I've gone out the steering failed on me right at the inlet had to drive it in only using the throttles! Id like to know what yall have noticed for the quality, the ride, mess-ups in designs, and whatnot. thanks!

Replies

• Yacht_HuckleberryYacht_Huckleberry Clearwater FLPosts: 15 Deckhand
    edited July 2020 #2
    I ran a Scout for 8 years, but upgraded last year. My overall experience with Scout was not good. My boat was a 2010 vintage, and I hear the company had a lot of quality control issues around that time. My opinion of Scout is they build a very pretty boat that appears to be quite high end (and is marketed as such), but the reality is they cut costs by skimping on materials and designing hulls that can be powered by relatively lower horsepower than other similarly sized boats. The result is a wet, bumpy ride and a boat that doesn't hold up over time. 

My console tore out 3 times under pretty minimal use. Scout was ZERO help during the entire situation, and the dealer who sold me the boat but since switched brands said they don't work on Scouts anymore (You can be sure I didn't buy my next boat from them). I had it professionally repaired each time, but think the problem was too much flex in the floor. When I sold the boat, there were spider cracks all over the hull, in the transom, in the bilge... etc. I've never had a boat fall apart on me like that. I've heard they made improvements since that time, and that the bigger models are a lot better than the inshore models, but they won't be getting another chance from me. 

As for your boat, what is breaking? Boats break and require constant upkeep. A lot of things like engines, steering, and electronics are all aftermarket type parts. They don't really have anything to do with the boat manufacturer, unless of course they were improperly rigged the first time. So, from your post, the issue seems mostly unrelated to the boat brand and more likely SeaStar (who I am guessing is the steering), but without knowing more details, its hard to say for certain. It concerns me that your steering failed you 2 times in a row. How was it addressed the first time it broke?
  • TheNSBkidTheNSBkid Boca RatonPosts: 70 Deckhand
    I ran a Scout for 8 years, but upgraded last year. My overall experience with Scout was not good. My boat was a 2010 vintage, and I hear the company had a lot of quality control issues around that time. My opinion of Scout is they build a very pretty boat that appears to be quite high end (and is marketed as such), but the reality is they cut costs by skimping on materials and designing hulls that can be powered by relatively lower horsepower than other similarly sized boats. The result is a wet, bumpy ride and a boat that doesn't hold up over time. 

My console tore out 3 times under pretty minimal use. Scout was ZERO help during the entire situation, and the dealer who sold me the boat but since switched brands said they don't work on Scouts anymore (You can be sure I didn't buy my next boat from them). I had it professionally repaired each time, but think the problem was too much flex in the floor. When I sold the boat, there were spider cracks all over the hull, in the transom, in the bilge... etc. I've never had a boat fall apart on me like that. I've heard they made improvements since that time, and that the bigger models are a lot better than the inshore models, but they won't be getting another chance from me. 

As for your boat, what is breaking? Boats break and require constant upkeep. A lot of things like engines, steering, and electronics are all aftermarket type parts. They don't really have anything to do with the boat manufacturer, unless of course they were improperly rigged the first time. So, from your post, the issue seems mostly unrelated to the boat brand and more likely SeaStar (who I am guessing is the steering), but without knowing more details, its hard to say for certain. It concerns me that your steering failed you 2 times in a row. How was it addressed the first time it broke?
    Ive had many boats in the past, its a 2017 with less than 200 hours... have had steering failure, complete electrical fail a few times, lost of engine power, stress cracks on the transom, all plumbing stopped working, terrible ride offshore (makes 1-2 feel like 3-4), very wet ride, back part of the transom is constantly under 6inches of water, and the console has came off. literally a nightmare of a boat especially for one that's pretty recent