Home Fly Fishing

Some girls have all the fun

sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 635 Officer

So here is a fly that takes about 45 seconds to tie.
Two clumps of Puglisi fiber, 3 strands of flash, and the clump at the throat keeps the fibers from wrapping around the hook.
My buddies CWFlies and greenie-slayer tie gorgeous, complicated flies. Works of art.
I just like to tie the simplest, fastest things I can. A hook and two feathers ... perfect!

Don't get me wrong, I caught my first bonefish on a Peterson's Spawning Shrimp i bought from Orvis.
I just like the simple things.
Catching pretty fish on pretty (simple) flies in pretty places while wearing pretty clothes.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,376 Admiral
    Still looks like it will get it done!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 635 Officer

Well, as Bob LeMay predicted, they did work. All trout, all the time.
    Got a lot of short strikes, so I decided to make a longer-shank version. Should also sink better.

Mark

• CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 125 Deckhand
    Its not dolled up enough for me. Jam 6 more materials on the hook including some gold disco ball eyes. 

Ain't nothing wrong with a simple fly. If it works fish it. Clearly the trout liked it. I bet a snook or tarpon would eat it too
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 350 Deckhand
    You lost me at pretty clothes(as my pix would reveal) but I like those flies. We used to call simple , quick ties that work 'Guide flies"
    Well troutbom,

I've probably lost a lot of fish to flourescent shirts. Florida Key guides hate for you to wear colors: they want you in sky blue or some dull tan. Bahamas guides don't give a ****. After not catching about $30,000 of permit ... I gave in and went dull. For permit.

I have noticed Tom Rowland (an excellent fly fisherman on TV) in bright colors, and Brandon Cyr (on TV) in white, which many guides hate.
     I still fish for tarpon, and anything else, lit up like Elton John.
    Mark

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,335 Captain
    When I came back to guiding in 1996 I loved nice white long sleeved shirts (kind of a very, very old school affectation... since that's what many guides almost 100 years ago wore...).  They looked nice, and were comfortable... but what they weren't was durable.  Very quickly they just started looking grungy... so that was that... Must admit though I do keep one or two nice brand new ones hoping for that rare client... someone with the means to hire me 30 days at a time... Dream on right?

These days I have lots of guiding shirts and pants - some that only have a few small holes here and there... A year or two ago down at Flamingo at the end of a day I was asked how we did... I told whoever it was...  "it was great - I didn't break anything... "  and I meant it for my skiff (only on it 32nd year), my gear ( I still build all my own rods, mostly), and my clothing.   Can't remember how many times a safety pin here or there was the fix that allowed me to get home at end of day without scaring anyone... 

My how your standards change over the years... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 732 Officer
    Hey Captain Lamay, have you any good cleaning ideas for getting the sweat, sun block, blood out of fishing clothes?
    My wife buys me fishing shirts, and pants from Bells, and Kolhs. I keep the newer ones for vacations, so I don't look homeless when going back to a resort. But the stuff I wear day in day out gets pretty shabby. I don't even use bait, or throw a cast net. When I fish with someone on the boat I wear the nicer stuff, but by my self just can't see getting slime, and blood on the nice stuff. 
    First off - it's fishing gear (and most of us look like we slept in it...) but there are a few things to do.  Yes, keep your newer stuff for "at the resort" or the tournament awards banquet.  Stains, rips and tears (small ones), are actually indicators that you really do use your time on the water.  Things change, though, when you deal with cloths or towels that do come in contact with fish or bait.  For those, having them look nice should be secondary to making sure there's nothing in or on them that's possibly infectious... so all of my wipes, hand cloths, etc are always in white - and the wash is hot water, detergent and bleach (which should kill any staph or other nasty infectious stuff dead...).

As far as stains on clothing go take advantage of pre-soaking for an hour or so before washing those blood stained or sunscreen stained items.  Oxyclean(and similar products)  will absolutely attack reasonably fresh blood stains and do a great job on either fish blood (or your own blood...).  Then wash the way you would normally.

The more time you spend on the water, the less you'll notice those stains by the way (at least that's what I've found, over the years).

"Be a hero - take a kid fishing"
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Bob,

what is your thought on shirt color? Obviously, you don't mind white. (I always thought that one was weird... clouds are white!). Do you let your clients wear bright shirts?

Mark

Good thought on towels, never really thought of them being infectious. I use one for wiping fish slime, and one for drying hands or wiping down wet seats. I thought of soaking a few in 5 gallon bucket of Oxyclean for a couple of days. Just haven't got around to it yet. For me when I fish off of my poling platform, I like light blue, tan, white, light green. Natural colors, when on the deck I don't really care what color shirt. My wife likes to get me bright colors, even though I tell her I like soft natural colors. When my wife buys me something for fishing I don't complain!!! 
    The only thing I ever suggest to my customers that are new to the 'glades is to wear light colored pastels if at all possible and to try to have them loose fitting... None of this is for the fishing since in the 'glades the water's mostly dark and you have to get on top of a fish to spook one, unless we're sight-fishing up really skinny... The color and the fit is all about mosquitoes and other biters... The moment someone is on my skiff wearing any dark color... all the mosquitoes come sit on him or her...  Tight fitting clothing is not only hotter - they make it easier for insects to find your tender juicy spots... For those poor souls getting eaten alive - I also point out that mosquitoes can't bite through raingear....

Hope this helps.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Captain Lemay,

I never paid much attention to anti-bug recommendations. And never wear bug spray. I have been to Andros (north, south, and middle bights) a few times. No problem.

My last trip I went to the Middle Bight in Summer ... and got destroyed by the biting horseflies. Hundreds of bites that were swollen sores for weeks. Day 1 I was in shorts no spray, Day 2 pants and spray (I begged a bottle from another angler who was leaving), Day 3 pants and socks and spray and still miserable.

I will pay attention in the future.

Mark

Horse flies and such don’t even notice bug spray in my experience so protective clothing is your best bet.  Even in August, when it’s the hottest you’ll find me in long sleeves, long pants, and proper shoes... Whenever someone shows up at the ramp in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops - I think “brave soul”.  More than one has spent a day with me wearing the rain gear I keep on my skiff (bugs can’t bite through rain gear...

The only good news is that those terrible welts are rarely infections... they’re mostly a bad allergic reaction.  If you get bitten enough your skin no longer reacts as badly (just another “ask me how I know” proposition)...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Mark

That looks.... all too familiar.  But it also shows your determination to stick it out.  I've had customers that after their second bite would be ready to quit right then.... There are times of the year in the 'Glades when the bugs (here we're talking about what we call deer flies - I've had anglers that called them "green heads"...) will literally run you out of small creeks and we just avoid those places for a month or two... 

Just nothing like the 'glades where everything is pretty much hostile to those of us that fish there day after day... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 350 Deckhand
    When I fish Andros I cover up due to what the Bahamians call Dr flies because the bite felt like a painful injection. Some of the flies looked more like deer flies but spray didnt help much on any of them. I started out first day in my usual ragged old shorts and short sleeve T I fished in for 50 years. Got eaten up even wading miles from shore. Never made that mistake again.
    When a deer fly bites you'll swear the so and so brought an ice pick to hit you with.... not fun at all.   They're not big like the horse flies in the 'glades.  Instead they're the size of an ordinary house fly, sandy colored and if you swat one - hit it a second time or it will get up and fly away... Definitely not fun.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    You guys are making me like my fishing grounds more and more each post, LOL. 
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 273 Deckhand
    Gentlemen:  Pink, Red, White, Blue, Orange, Yellow...is the fly where it should be that is the question...I've been stuck on 25 Permit for the past two years ...not because of my shirt colors( not Elton John colors but Rodney's in Caddy Shack colors) besides the captain is on the polling platform holding a 26 foot black poll..it's because I ain't getting the fly to the fish or one of the other multiple variables intervene....jacked, snapper, needle fish, surface grass, turtle grass, or the old fat-man just stumbles on the casting platform causing loud noise and bow tsunami... 
    sunflower said:

So here is a fly that takes about 45 seconds to tie.
    Two clumps of Puglisi fiber, 3 strands of flash, and the clump at the throat keeps the fibers from wrapping around the hook.
    My buddies CWFlies and greenie-slayer tie gorgeous, complicated flies. Works of art.
    I just like to tie the simplest, fastest things I can. A hook and two feathers ... perfect!

Don't get me wrong, I caught my first bonefish on a Peterson's Spawning Shrimp i bought from Orvis.
    I just like the simple things.
    Catching pretty fish on pretty (simple) flies in pretty places while wearing pretty clothes.

So Sunflower what do you target with this fly?

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spioneyman,

I'm thinking about a trout. I mostly fish inshore bays in West Florida coast. I think it would work for any dumbish fish that likes a baitfish. I'd cast it to a ladyfish, Spanish, or snook. Wouldn't believe in it for a redfish, pompano, tarpon. A little shinier and moving fast I'm sure a jack would hit it.
    Mark

Thanks, just trying to figure out what will and won't work up here in the Panhandle for trout and reds. Barney Fife on here sent me some of his tied flies to try, but the wind has been insane all spring and so far this summer.

• EngguyEngguy Posts: 195 Deckhand
    I remember cruising along about 25 mph with a horsefly flying around under the Bimini top like it was nothing.