Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Aiden's first Shnapper

shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
Friday morning, left Vilano at 5am.  Seas got pretty sporty, worse with each mile.  Strong westerly trailing sea.  Ran to 80 feet.  I chose to drift so others would have a good chance, but everyone else literally anchored right on top of the structure.  Regardless we got one really big red snapper and plenty of smaller ones on the drift.  Throughout the day we kept pushing east.  Not a very fishy day, tons of grunts and bait around, but not a lot by way of fish strikes.  Decided to goof around some closer to shore for kings, but struck out.  Did drop on one last spot and got a nice weak fish and another snapper.  Ran from Bunys Web to Vilano in a very sporty south wind, very rough ride in.  All in all a good day, Aiden caught the biggest fish of his life and we had an adventure.  I think I needed to be reminded why I dont fish weekends!  All in all, good times.  Oh and bu the way, thanks to Bsiv I kept the head and throat!  Tons of meat that I never even knew was there.  

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,040 Officer
    Nice fish! Can't always be about giants. My little 18 ft bay boat with low sides keeps me close in. I got small snapper both mornings just 4 miles out and the turned to kings. Trolled mullet, can't just a schoolie Friday and lost a 40lb class fish right at the boat but would have been more upset if it had been a 15lb fish. Yesterday we got one small snapper then caught three kings..7lb, 23lb, 25lb. Don't need anymore kingfish for sure but they are fun to catch. All trolling mullet.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
    You guys did great.