Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Deep dropping - lots of questions

Hi all, really interested in getting started here, but not lp or hooker electric ready :).   I know a couple guys posted using a Shimano Beastmaster 9000A, and  a Daiwa seaborg 1200MJ.  They holding up well?

In addition what pound rating - and brand of braid you fishing?  And what length line are you getting on them?

Size and type of weight?

Dedicated batteries, or house?

My neighbor is a commercial guy and he drops off his bandits.  Really heavy duty stuff.  Curious what the recreational crowd uses around here.

Thanks - all opinions welcome here, trying to learn.

Bo

Bo G.
Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 456 Deckhand
    edited July 2020 #2
     I use daiwa mt100, mt750, tanacom 1000. All 50lb daiwa j braid x8. 

I use the house batteries. 

• Terence1Terence1 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Great information,  as I am also thinking setting a deep drop on a budget. 
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 149 Deckhand
    I'm also looking to start deep dropping, but honestly don't know what type bottom I'm looking for on the graph. Is anyone willing to show screen shot(s) of their sonar, and explain what we're looking at? Please make sure to cover your coordinates as there's absolutely no attempt at gaining personal spots. I've been in the deep and will see the occasional bottom spot that I see a few fish hovering on, and yes I mark them. Just not sure the difference in hard/mud bottom and what the experienced droppers are really looking for on the screen. I'm like woodytoo, and would like some mentoring from those willing to teach.
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 187 Deckhand
    +1 here on learning. Ordered a used electric reel from Japan off ebay, figure I'm only going to use it a handful of times per year.  Find elevation changes and look for a fish show on the sounder?
  • piner_wahoo1piner_wahoo1 keysPosts: 639 Officer
    wanna learn it all on  YOUR BOAT? gimmie a call...
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 575 Officer
    I have 4 Krystal reels 100 lb braid use 5 lb rebar lead to much money.
  • Matt888Matt888 Posts: 29 Deckhand
    This week was my first real try at it.  Current was very light and with very little engine use, was able to get the line 90 degrees most of the time.  Literally just stopped in 650’ when the bottom went completely flat and must have got lucky with my first 5 drops for 5 Tilefish.  If it wasn’t luck, the Tile fishery is very healthy!  😉.   Tried yesterday in a different area in 600’ and picked up only 1 Rosie.   You can do it!   
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,756 Captain
    I bought 2 Banax 1000`s from Frigate sales in La. Great reels and great service. In fact I had an issue with one of the reels after 3 years. Sent it back, it was repaired under warranty and returned to me at zero charge!  I could not believe it.  James Shaw at Frigate is a great guy to deal with. You won`t beat his prices either. He will spool them with whatever size braid you want. Also bought a rod from him and was very pleased.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 404 Deckhand
    The krystal reels - look like great value.  Are they holding up well?  They are half the cost of lp
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 187 Deckhand
    wanna learn it all on  YOUR BOAT? gimmie a call...
    Harlan, heading down in August if everything cooperates (weather/closures). Good chance you'll be getting a call from me!
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 238 Deckhand
    drgibby said:
    I bought 2 Banax 1000`s from Frigate sales in La. Great reels and great service. In fact I had an issue with one of the reels after 3 years. Sent it back, it was repaired under warranty and returned to me at zero charge!  I could not believe it.  James Shaw at Frigate is a great guy to deal with. You won`t beat his prices either. He will spool them with whatever size braid you want. Also bought a rod from him and was very pleased.
    I have a Kristal tat is about 15 yrs old and it is still going strong.  I will be purchasing the Banax 1000s next for an additional rod on my boat and to take out on the Pulley ridge trips out of key west.  As far as bottom, i just returned from marathon and caught limits of blue line tile and Snowy grouper in 650’. Bottom looked flat on the fishfinder.  Drift was about 1 knot.  The main issue I have deep dropping is when you run into a strong current, 4-5 knots which is not uncommon off west palm beach
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 450 Deckhand
    Piner can take you to one of his C list spots and you would still have a great day and learn a lot!
  • dihrddihrd Posts: 216 Deckhand

Electric reels?  Got this one last weekend 775’ Trinidad 40N 50lb braid. 
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 575 Officer
    woodytoo said:
    The krystal reels - look like great value.  Are they holding up well?  They are half the cost of lp

They are great the 621 but the 651 is very fast.The last 621 I got from

ebay 630.00 also I buy my braid and lights from ebay come from China

very good prices.

• MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 450 Deckhand
    Capt. Greg should know, he's seen everything in action on the rails of his boat.
    edited July 2020 #18
    Banax all the way everyday.

Greg
    plastered said:
    woodytoo said:

very good prices.

Thanks both of you guys.  I saw the banax on eBay.  Let me look again
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,356 AG
    woodytoo said:
    Banax all the way everyday.

Greg
    plastered said:
    woodytoo said:

very good prices.

Thanks both of you guys.  I saw the banax on eBay.  Let me look again

Get one from Frigate sales and not from Korea on ebay. The product support will be worth the few extra dollars.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• otdrzmn04otdrzmn04 Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Banax or tanacom 1000. 60lb braid. Search net for old window weights (4-9 lbs). Order deep drop lights a few mnths out from overseas on ebay (bought exact same lights at bait shop for 10x markup) Tile are fairly easy to find. The grouper you need good electronics or #s. 
    love the love the feedback! Am listening!!!

my neighbor is a commercial guy and has been deep dropping off bandits for years.  I told him about this conversation and the recommendations on braided line test.  

He actually went quiet, I knew he had an opinion, but was keeping his cool.  Finally today he said - 50 to 80 braid ... no way, no stinking way.  First drop you put an 8 pound sash weight in the mud you will loose $300 in line and tackle.  100  braid minimum 150 preferred.

what say you guys?
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 509 Officer
    edited July 2020 #23
    Tie your weight on a breakaway so when you get snagged or stuck all you lose is the weight And not the entire rig or snap the rod in half. Rods alone are VERY expensive. Hooks, weights, leader, lights can get really expensive quickly if you start to loose rigs. Fishing on structure is Dangerous and expensive. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,356 AG
    edited July 2020 #24
    Fishing a bandit is much different then fishing on a light rod with 50 or 60 pound braid. He is right for what he does but incorrect for what you want to do. On days that you need an 8 pound weight to hit bottom just don’t even bother to drop unless your sword fishing.                       100 or 130 pound braid can get snagged just as easily as 50 or 60 and let me tell you it’s a b I t c h to break it off. As mentioned a breakaway for the lead helps most of the time but sometimes a hook will get snagged and then it is a b I t c h to break it off

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 509 Officer
    My buddy had a hooked snag on him last week. It wasn’t fun. Breaking 200 pound mono is almost impossible. Swivels or braid will give way first eventually. 
    Great comments guys - keep em coming!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Concur with a breakaway rig for weights. With 100 lb Powerpro you can just about anchor a 32 Regulator in 600 ft of water. If you try to manhandle it something is going to break and it will usually be something on the boat, not down on the snag.  If you do get snagged wrap the line around a cleat (many, many wraps for braid) and set up a steady pull with the boat; don't pull against the rod and reel setup. Hopefully the leader or drop or the hook will break! 
    got it on the breakaway, and love the advice on cleating off a hung rig to break it loose.  I could have used that yesterday bouncing in the rocks grouper digging!

next question - wiring.  Leaning toward a dedicated battery.  What products are you guys using for sockets and connectors?  I have heard the krystal plugs and sockets are good.  Was thinking installing under the gunnel sockets.

this is getting exciting, getting pumped!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    I would not consider a Tanacom over a Banax.

Never. Ever.

I checked out frigate’s website and the tear down comparison presentation.  From what I see I completely agree.  Superior engineering and materials!

so how do I convince the wife?
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    edited July 2020 #31
    Just got off the phone with James at frigate sales.  Banax 1000 on its way spooled with 65# suffix 832.  Should get it this week.  Have a bent butt 80# class rod I am mounting it on.

step 1 done!

ps - wife not thrilled, but we are still speaking! :)
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL