Home General Fishing

Drone Fishing/Scouting

MahiMattMahiMatt Key Largo, FLPosts: 5 Deckhand
Hey guys, I was curious if anyone has used a drone for fishing or scouting fish here in Florida? It seems like an interesting idea and trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger. 

It looks like you can rig them up to drop your line if you want to fish from shore which would be pretty cool. However, I was more interested in using it to find mahi and tuna from the boat. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    I would wait till YETI comes out with one....so you can get the best one made...... LOL
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,514 Captain
    I've thought about it.  It sounds like a good way to see what's in the area.  However talking to people they say it a hard to land on a moving target like the boat and women can be a bit rough to navigate.  They said if you do it practice a lot before doing it on the water.  I'm still thinking about it , keep me posted if you try it
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,054 Admiral
    Birds are natural drones and a lot cheaper.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 863 Officer
    duckmanJR said:
    I would wait till YETI comes out with one....so you can get the best one made...... LOL
    You can keep your Yeti drone; I'm waiting for the Salt Life branded drone with the white Costa frames.
  • MahiMattMahiMatt Key Largo, FLPosts: 5 Deckhand
    Garysmo said:
    I've thought about it.  It sounds like a good way to see what's in the area.  However talking to people they say it a hard to land on a moving target like the boat and women can be a bit rough to navigate.  They said if you do it practice a lot before doing it on the water.  I'm still thinking about it , keep me posted if you try it
    Just went head and ordered one. I don't think it'll be great for scouting but I think it could be fun to try some beach fishing with it here in South Florida. Just need to figure out the best spot to give it a go. 
    Actually, if you guys can think of anywhere in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale to Key Largo) that would be interesting to try fishing with a drone then let me know. Excited to give it a try. 
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 762 Officer
    There are some crazy people out there, they may think you are spying on them or their nude lady sun bathing and draw some fire lol, good luck let us know if you do it  would be interesting 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    you better check a chart and map before you fly one. its illegal in the Everglades National Park and in Biscayne National Park and many other places. Google for the map that the Fed's have online.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 526 Officer
    I fly drones a lot. In the boat too. Takes practice but can be done. However you only have so many minutes on a battery to take off search then land safely. And yes, study the laws first. A ton of places you cannot even turn it on. Example is say when the President came here to Daytona. A GEO fence was initiated around a 25 mile radius of it. Or flying over Disney.

Here is a website that will show you the zones. If you look at NASA for the rocket launch in a day or two they have a huge no fly zone near it.

You can fly over and through National Parks. However you cannot take off nor land in one. So say you were standing out side the gate to one on state land, then take off and fly it over their airspace, good to go. Just do not land there or disturb something with it. . You cannot fly over any wildlife refuges any where.

The FAA controls all airspace in the USA. So once airborne it falls under the FAA's  jurisdiction, even 5 feet in the air. Just use common sense is a big key too.
  • Ron38SpecialRon38Special S FloridaPosts: 89 Deckhand
    Be careful when and where you fly.
    Last week, my son was flying his in the ICW and as a Navy helicopter flew by, the drone was jammed and fell in the water!
    Good advice from you guys. I think I am going to try it out on Dania and Hollywood beach. I've gotten some messages that they might be a couple good spots to try it out on. 
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,094 Captain
    are there any small hand held jamming devices that one could use to disable a drone? I hate those things
    Scminnow said:
    are there any small hand held jamming devices that one could use to disable a drone? I hate those things

Highly illegal and they will track you down and prosecute you. I would avoid doing that.

It is long but worth the read:

1. Communications Act of 1934

There are three sections that are problematic:

47 U.S.C Section 301 – Requires persons operating or using radio transmitters to be licensed or authorized under the Commission’s rules (47 U.S.C. § 301). So just to operate the jammer, it needs to be certified.

47 U.S.C. Section 302(b) – Prohibits the manufacture, importation, marketing, sale or operation of unlicensed jammers within the United States (47 U.S.C. § 302a(b)) ( Only exception is to the U.S. Government 302a(c)).  Yes, you read that right. Depending on how you market counter drone measures, you could be doing something illegal!  This section also prohibits the testing R & D of drone jammers on your own property. FCC laid the smack down on a Chinese company in 2014 with a fine of $34.9 million!  Yes, you guessed it, the FCC order cited 302(b). Hobbyking found out that the FCC is very serious about the marketing of unlicensed radio transmitters when they received this FCC order.

47 U.S.C. Section 333 – Prohibits willful or malicious interference with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. Government (47 U.S.C. § 333). I think Amazon is wisely planning for the future when they filed for a technology patent designed to allow their drones to fly if jamming is taking place. The jamming could be illegal or legal but we know it will be happening in the future. People will take things into their own hands and might start creating illegal drone jamming equipment as a means of “self-help.”

Just on an interesting follow up point, all sorts of things operate on the frequencies you are jamming. Let’s say you turn your jammer on, how are you going to deal with legal liability for any damage you have done? Just let this sink in….“The GPS jamming that caused 46 drones to plummet during a display over Victoria Harbour during the weekend caused at least HK$1 million (US$127,500) in damage, according to a senior official from the Hong Kong Tourism Board.”

Here is another example. 48 drones crashed which was around $98,674 worth of drones.” The administration suspects that the interference was caused by other drones flying in the area, Liao said. It was also possible that some people were using other radio-frequency devices near the venue, which caused interference, he said. . . .Others said that the interference could be deliberately produced by drone operators in protest against the government’s new regulations, which are scheduled to take effect on March 31.”

2. FCC Regulations

47 C.F.R. Section 2.803 – prohibits the manufacture, importation, marketing, sale or operation of these devices within the United States (47 C.F.R. § 2.803)  Section 2.807 – provides for certain limited exceptions, such as the sale to U.S. government users (47 C.F.R. § 2.807)  The FCC regulations are basically echoing the federal statutes that were created. This means Congress has to either make some exceptions to the Communications Act of 1934 AND nullify or amend these regulations OR just change the underlying statute and leave it to the FCC to start the rulemaking process to repeal this regulation.

3. The United States Criminal Code 

18 U.S.C. Section 1362 – prohibits willful or malicious interference to U.S. government communications; subjects the operator to possible fines, imprisonment, or both. This could be used to apply to GPS jamming.

18 U.S.C. Section 1367(a) – prohibits intentional or malicious interference to satellite communications; subjects the operator to possible fines, imprisonment, or both.This could also be used to apply to GPS jamming.

18 U.S.C.  Section 32 – Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities: “(a) Whoever willfully— (1) sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce;” . . .  “shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.” This applies to the lasers, shotguns, and my all time favorite, Russian spear thrower.

18 U.S.C. Section  2511 says, “ (1) Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter any person who— (a) intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication[.]”

18 U.S.C.  Section 1030 says, “(a) Whoever . . .  (2) intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains . . . (C) information from any protected computer[.]” This one applies to the hackers.

4. Drone Jamming Can Affect More than the Drone

On October 26, 2016, the FAA sent out a letter to airports because “Recently, technology vendors contacted several U.S. airports, proposing to conduct demonstrations and evaluations of their UAS detection and counter measure systems at those airports. In some cases, the airport sponsors did not coordinate these assessments and demonstrations with the FAA in advance. It is important that federally obligated airports understand that the FAA has not authorized any UAS detection or counter measure assessments at any airports other than those participating in the FAA’s UAS detection program through a CRDA, and airports allowing such evaluations could be in violation of their grant assurances.”  The letter went on to say, “Unauthorized UAS detection and counter measure deployments can create a host of problems, such as electromagnetic and Radio Frequency (RF) interference affecting safety of flight and air traffic management issues.”

The FAA ended up doing some studies and on July 19, 2018 issued a follow up letter to the October 26, 2016 letter which discussed the findings of the counter drone study they did at some airports.

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    duckmanJR said:
    Wow, so helpful.  Why even comment if you're gonna spout some irrelevant nonsense?  

Drone fishing/scouting is not really practical; weather, battery life, & cost all add up to the fact that it's more
    a novelty.  You'd be better off buying radar to find birds or putting a second station on your boat. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    brianb said:
    duckmanJR said:
    Wow, so helpful.  Why even comment if you're gonna spout some irrelevant nonsense?  

Drone fishing/scouting is not really practical; weather, battery life, & cost all add up to the fact that it's more
    a novelty.  You'd be better off buying radar to find birds or putting a second station on your boat. 
    Why ? That's easy....it annoys idiots.....and people who buy YETI products
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    brianb said:
    duckmanJR said:

I’m with you Brian. Put a second station on last year. Personally, I think drone scouting is lazy. But to each his own
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,264 AG
    I would like to have one that is waterproof just to scout for cobia.   Seems like it would be a game changer.  You see those cobia towers all the time on the west coast, i imagine a drone is cheaper than one of those and does the same job.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    I would like to have one that is waterproof just to scout for cobia.   Seems like it would be a game changer.  You see those cobia towers all the time on the west coast, i imagine a drone is cheaper than one of those and does the same job.  
    Driving around in the second station is more fun that sitting under a towel running a drone. Those towers are only called cobia towers in the panhandle. They call then towers most everywhere else. Do you do much sight fishing for cobia over there? Most of the ones we catch are on structure in 20-50’. You usually never see them .  But we do get one occasionally. Buddy got one in 3’ with his trout rod that I saw on a stingray sitting on the bottom. But we don’t target them that way. A guide friend in pc said they don’t sight fish for them anymore cause they just aren’t there. There used to be tourneys where over 100 fish would be weighed. He said there were 3 weighed this year( perfect conditions) at the biggest of the tourneys ....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,264 AG
    I personally don't I do not have a tower.  But I have seen people with homemade towers, basically a 6' step ladder ratchet strapped to the boat and i just figured a drone would be better than one of those.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    edited July 13 #22
    I personally don't I do not have a tower.  But I have seen people with homemade towers, basically a 6' step ladder ratchet strapped to the boat and i just figured a drone would be better than one of those.  
    Are they cobia fishing? Reds and tarpon are usually what we sight fish up in the western big bend. It’s a lot easier see a big school, than a singular fish with a drone, or a tower for that matter. But I’ll throw a bait at anything I see. Got a nice 4’ lemon on light gear a month or so ago. 
    I am more interested in using it for beach fishing than to use on the boat. I think being able to get to 50 feet of water could maybe be a game changer.