Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marco island to Sanibel... need help

How’s it going ladies and gents... I’m thinking of planning a little weekend get away end of July and was thinking of heading to any where on the south west coast... I’ve visited some relatives in ft Myers a couple times but have never been out to the water. I have a boat but I’m thinking of leaving it behind and heading that way in hopes to find some nice beaches an mayb rent a boat for one day to check out any nice sandbars or islands and maybe a little fishing... 
I’m thinking anywhere between marco island and sanibel So I guess my question is what do you guys recommend?Places to stay?  boat rentals ? Where and what would you guys recommend?? 

Replies

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 300 Deckhand
    There are a lot of options between those parameters. If you are basically a casual fisherman I would suggest doing a half day charter somewhere around Marco or  Naples.You have access to the northern part of the 10K for fishing. I'm sure with the covid 19 going on there will be many choices of places to stay  in all ranges of prices.

Boating around the Marco and Naples has many spots to go to sand bars and beaches very close,but boating takes some knowledge of the area so as not to get into trouble. You can rent pontoon boats in several spots in Naples. You should check on the local regulations with regard to covid. If it is Naples let us know and we'll try to help.
  • ReelChillin82ReelChillin82 Posts: 123 Deckhand
  • ReelChillin82ReelChillin82 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I know it’s a bit tricky in the marco island areas with flats and sand bars being very abundant. This is why I don’t really want to take my boat. Rather have a boat rental place that can give me some pointer/advice on were to stay out of 
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 300 Deckhand
    As long as you stay on the outer coast and have GPS you should be fine.  No one will be able to tell you where to go or not,it's just too massive an area to deal with that way.  There are open beaches up and down the coast that are safe to go to. Get  chart of SWFL.  Most rental places put a restriction of where you can take their boats.
  • Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 53 Deckhand
    just FYI the just the beaches in Collier county are restricted now.. Have to have a Collier county beach pass. Check walkers **** key in good land for a boat rental. You can get out to the outer bars if you follow the markers . If you have a gps there are plenty of artificial reefs outside . Keep your weather eye open.