Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bottom Fishing off Lake Worth Inlet

So I’ve been trying to bottom fish off Lake Worth Inlet ever since moving back to FL about a year ago.  So far I haven’t had much luck.  On a recent Tuppens fishing report there was mentioning of folks catching muttons in the 100-200’ depth range.  Are folks anchoring at this depth range or drifting over spots?  How much weight are people using?  FYI, I have a 20 foot bay boat with trolling motor that has an anchoring feature.  I’ve noticed that a lot of times the trolling motor struggles to keep me over a certain spot in a strong current (100-120’ depth).  Thank you in advance for any guidance or tips.

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 418 Deckhand
     Drifting is probably a good bet, as there is a lot of current & the fish can be spread out. 
     Anchoring can be done, but you will probably need a 1lb -2 lb lead to hold bottom unless the current is slow. 
     The reef is wide in that area, so there is plenty good bottom to hold fish.  

I was up there last weekend & got a nice mutton slow pitch jigging. 

• LandasnookLandasnook Palm Beach CountyPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    The current is heavy here. You will need an anchor setup with 10' chain and 500' 3/8-1/2" rope, an optional anchor ball is a great idea. We bottom fish on anchor in 100'140' with 6-8 oz and hold bottom just fine. drifting for muttons is usually the way to go, as stated already. Now yellowtails....... that"s a new world altogether. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,278 Officer
    That is a nice mutton.....well done
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 207 Deckhand
    Off the Breakers and south down to Sloan's Curve can produce muttons in the depths you mentioned. If you drift, spooling your reel after getting your bait to the bottom will produce bites where they zip off line and then it's time to lock it up and haul them in. The airplane wreck in that area is a good spot at times, too.
  • IslandthymeIslandthyme FloridaPosts: 133 Deckhand
    Off the Breakers and south down to Sloan's Curve can produce muttons in the depths you mentioned. If you drift, spooling your reel after getting your bait to the bottom will produce bites where they zip off line and then it's time to lock it up and haul them in. The airplane wreck in that area is a good spot at times, too.
    Shhh  ;)
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,400 Captain
    You need to anchor for the big ones
  • HAIR-LARIOUSHAIR-LARIOUS Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Anchor up if you want a fatty 
  • FLboundFLbound Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • IAMSECONDIAMSECOND Moved to PB County on 7/5/18Posts: 88 Deckhand
    also try 100'- 120' north of the inlet. Drift a knocker rig with 3 oz weight and a whole sardine with three hooks. Hit the bottom and keep letting line out till they run or you are about 3/4 out of line. Then real in, rebait and repeat.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,400 Captain
    Youll be better off anchoring.  That's a heavily fished area.  Not the best time to catch muttions right now. 
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 418 Deckhand
    IAMSECOND said:
    also try 100'- 120' north of the inlet. Drift a knocker rig with 3 oz weight and a whole sardine with three hooks. Hit the bottom and keep letting line out till they run or you are about 3/4 out of line. Then real in, rebait and repeat.
     We call that spooling. It can be done with a knocker, fish finder rig, or even a jig. I've got many mutton's spooling with any of those rigs.