Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

how far for black sea bass?

CaptainTCaptainT jacksonvillePosts: 141 Deckhand
I have a 22' bayboat and I would like to take 2 kids out Saturday to bend a rod.  Haven't fished offshore in quite some time.  Any suggestions on how far and maybe where to run to get some sea bass for the kids?  Are they biting now?

Thanks!

Replies

• seapro15seapro15 Posts: 219 Deckhand
    I usually see the best seabass in the cooler months, but there should be plenty to keep them busy around 9 mile, PG/PM or MR reefs. That will keep you within 12 miles or so from the jetties.  
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    If they are little kids, give them a sabiki and have them catch you cigar minnows and other bait like grunts. You can use them for bigger fish while they reel in the bait. You will be busy doing a lot of dehooking as they pull them in. Little kids are happy as long as they are catching something. If they are bigger let them fight some big red snapper with the rod in the rod holder, or freeline a grunt on wire and let them catch a cuda on a wreck. Should be kings around and possibly a cobia to eat the cigar minnows you catch. Any of the nearshore wrecks will give you plenty of action. I normally catch the keeper black sea bass in the winter, you will catch smaller ones on the wrecks and reefs in the summer. If you don't have much experience anchoring, go to a big wreck like JW gulf america. It is easy to find on your depth finder and a little easier to anchor and stay on top of. Pull up behind a shrimp boat on the way in and have them look at the dolphins and sharks eating the dead fish on top.
  • CaptainTCaptainT jacksonvillePosts: 141 Deckhand
    thanks for the replies!!
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    So how did you do?
  • CaptainTCaptainT jacksonvillePosts: 141 Deckhand
    changed the plan and netted some pogies and slow trolled.  2 kings, lost the good one around the boat but got the small 6 pounder to eat.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 471 Deckhand
    Small ones are always my preference for eating