Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

C.R. offshore snapper run 6/24/2020

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
NOAA , oh you little skamp you.. You just can't seem to find your way. I'm sure the "less than a foot" was somewhere ? 
We just couldn't find it , right ?  Dang it.

Left FIT beach ramp 6:30 am for a run to 65' in member jts Panga.  member landlocked (jon) came along also. When it's puffy and there is a chop at the ramp well , darn it.

Yep , gonna be a long ride out..  I elected to drive and they got in the bean bags. Could only do 16mph so the Panga could split the waves and not pancake too much. I got sprayed but not all that bad thanks to the hull design. Was glad to make the first stop.

After a little bit of searching I marked several nice shows on the Garmin and set up for the first drift. Jts go hammered on the first bait ! Was a good fish but broke off. Jon was next and after a good fight put the first  red snapper in the box. A really nice fish. Couple of more drifts and we get three on ice along with a decent gray snapper and keeper red grouper. Drifted the other couple of spots and if not for hook pulls and getting rocked a few times would have had the 6 fish RS limit easy. Always the last one that's the hardest.

Ended up the trip with 5 good red snapper , 3 keeper red grouper , a nice mango and 6 - 7 big grunt. Nice seeing the red grouper showing up. We had a lot of just short ones the recovery is coming along. We never anchored or chummed and used sardines and cut grunt.  
Was nice to see the seas lay after the tide change so ride in was WAY better. I drove all day because I like to. 

Cooler shot at the house.

Enjoyed it . Always nice to fish with forum brothers.
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,228 Officer
    edited June 25 #2
    Nice cooler full.  I might try tomorrow. NOAA hasn't been too dependable this spring. 

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    Nice cooler full.  I might try tomorrow. NOAA hasn't been too dependable this spring. 
    No doubt. But , since I'm not going it will be smooth. Seen lots of bait in 33 out from the intake canal. Nothing on it though. Also some around marker 6.

• EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 389 Deckhand
    Good job.    Thanks for the report
  • JtsJts Posts: 50 Deckhand
    We had a great trip.  And Captain Louie was able to find some good spots from an old LORAN to GPS conversion I had.  Recuperation time from these trips takes me longer than a day anymore, just glad I don’t have to be at work somewhere.
  • OFFSHORECHICKENOFFSHORECHICKEN Posts: 54 Deckhand
    nice report,   
    :grin
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,124 Officer
    Good little box 👍
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,807 Captain
    Some nice fish Capt Louie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StressReeliefStressReelief OcalaPosts: 35 Deckhand
    Jts said:
    We had a great trip.  And Captain Louie was able to find some good spots from an old LORAN to GPS conversion I had.  Recuperation time from these trips takes me longer than a day anymore, just glad I don’t have to be at work somewhere.
    Indeed a great trip, I thank you both again for the invite, I have not been out since before this whole covid mess. My boat doesn't have the fuel range, so when I get an invite to see the blue water, I'm all over it. It was great fishing with you fellas.

• StressReeliefStressReelief OcalaPosts: 35 Deckhand
    NOAA , oh you little skamp you.. You just can't seem to find your way. I'm sure the "less than a foot" was somewhere ? 
    We just couldn't find it , right ?  Dang it.

Left FIT beach ramp 6:30 am for a run to 65' in member jts Panga.  member landlocked (jon) came along also. When it's puffy and there is a chop at the ramp well , darn it.

Yep , gonna be a long ride out..  I elected to drive and they got in the bean bags. Could only do 16mph so the Panga could split the waves and not pancake too much. I got sprayed but not all that bad thanks to the hull design. Was glad to make the first stop.

After a little bit of searching I marked several nice shows on the Garmin and set up for the first drift. Jts go hammered on the first bait ! Was a good fish but broke off. Jon was next and after a good fight put the first  red snapper in the box. A really nice fish. Couple of more drifts and we get three on ice along with a decent gray snapper and keeper red grouper. Drifted the other couple of spots and if not for hook pulls and getting rocked a few times would have had the 6 fish RS limit easy. Always the last one that's the hardest.

Ended up the trip with 5 good red snapper , 3 keeper red grouper , a nice mango and 6 - 7 big grunt. Nice seeing the red grouper showing up. We had a lot of just short ones the recovery is coming along. We never anchored or chummed and used sardines and cut grunt.  
    Was nice to see the seas lay after the tide change so ride in was WAY better. I drove all day because I like to. 

Cooler shot at the house.

Enjoyed it . Always nice to fish with forum brothers.
    As John was delegating helm shifts, I told him, that some of us prefer to be at the helm. I would gladly have taken a shift. Thanks for the great day out!

I like driving better than bean bagging. LOL  I was enjoying myself.

On the way in..
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,139 Captain
    How deep were the snapper?  They seem to move to deeper water as the season progresses or maybe all the shallower fish have been caught.
    m9000 said:
    How deep were the snapper?  They seem to move to deeper water as the season progresses or maybe all the shallower fish have been caught.
    These were in 63' - 65'
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    That's a long ride, good going.