Home General Hunting

Lower suwanee deer hunting

jake_jake_ SarasotaPosts: 18 Deckhand
Ive nevee been ? is the hunting good up there ?

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,696 Captain
    I like your SF commercials (kaki and a blazer). Never been to LS. Might just have to make a trip after studying a few aerials. Good luck! 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 784 Officer
    edited June 2020 #3
    Here's the brochure.
    https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/regulations/lower-suwannee-cedar-keys-national-wildlife-refuges-hunt.pdf

I'm interested too. I was late to the table and purchased a permit for LSNWR. Most info I find is from around 2015. I'm not exactly sure which season they went from no permit to the $15 limited entry permit for LSNWR but seems that most of the postings stopped around 2015. So may be related.

Pre 2015 I see a lot of people talking about it being very busy back then. I'll be making a trip up there with my hunting buddy around end of September. If the place isn't over run it sounds like it could be decent with the wide ranging dates from 9/2020 - 4/2021 and the large swath of land.
  • shempshemp Posts: 681 Officer
    Think they went to a permit close to 20 years ago but did not know it was limited

Used to be good in archery if you could stand the heat and high water to sit a transition on a cypress head.  Been years since I was there so can't help too much
    Shows 4726/5000 under permit availability for LSNWR. Limited may be a poor choice of words on my part since we're talking about 5k
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Archery is during the rut. I've only hunted the Dixie County side (less people back then). There's a place to camp called Yellow Jacket Campground. It's been many years since I hunted there. My experience has been less than desirable. 
  • jake_jake_ SarasotaPosts: 18 Deckhand
    Here's the brochure.
    https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/regulations/lower-suwannee-cedar-keys-national-wildlife-refuges-hunt.pdf

I'm interested too. I was late to the table and purchased a permit for LSNWR. Most info I find is from around 2015. I'm not exactly sure which season they went from no permit to the $15 limited entry permit for LSNWR but seems that most of the postings stopped around 2015. So may be related.

Pre 2015 I see a lot of people talking about it being very busy back then. I'll be making a trip up there with my hunting buddy around end of September. If the place isn't over run it sounds like it could be decent with the wide ranging dates from 9/2020 - 4/2021 and the large swath of land

I am in the same boat as you bought in late and havent found anything on the internet except a post here from several years ago .
    I've been doing some aerial scouting on onx hunt , and it seems like the entire place is well below sea level 
    I have a buddy in Clearwater in the same boat as well. I'm just a bit north now in Palm Harbor. I'll be giving him a call this weekend to chat about lower suwannee
    I have a buddy in Clearwater in the same boat as well. I'm just a bit north now in Palm Harbor. I'll be giving him a call this weekend to chat about lower suwannee
    Did you have a chance to get out there and do any scouting ?
    I did not due to some unexpected issues at home. However, my hunting buddy did make it up there and scouted for a few days. He was on Levy side of the river and scouted for 3 days from around Tiger Island hunting club on up to almost about a mile. Ran into the same FWC officer 3 times. Final time she stopped and checked him. Said not much on Levy side since the hunting club is feeding them. Other folks he ran into said the same thing. If I get a chance to head up I will be going the extra bit to the Dixie Side.
    I did not due to some unexpected issues at home. However, my hunting buddy did make it up there and scouted for a few days. He was on Levy side of the river and scouted for 3 days from around Tiger Island hunting club on up to almost about a mile. Ran into the same FWC officer 3 times. Final time she stopped and checked him. Said not much on Levy side since the hunting club is feeding them. Other folks he ran into said the same thing. If I get a chance to head up I will be going the extra bit to the Dixie Side.
    I neverhad a chance to scout there either . I guess I will be trying to spot and stalk during the muzzle loader opener 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,295 Captain
    I don’t know the LWNWR, but I know the general region. You are likely to find that public land is often underutilized up that way because of the ample hunting opportunities otherwise available and hunters would rather lease 100 acres they can bait on than roam thousands they can’t. 
    There was a lot of gun shots up here this morning ......not a single one of them was mine 
    Dixie or Levy side?
    Dixie or Levy side?
    Dixie . I seen a lot of sign and ran into a guy dragging an 8 point out on the walk out , he took the shot right before dark
    I will be back next weekend for sure .