Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Newbies going out of Port Everglades - help?

jsenskejsenske Fort LauderdalePosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hi all - new members to the forum and fishing community.  I have a 15-year old daughter who is loves fishing, and as such, I joined a boat club to start taking her out fishing more often (can't pass up the opportunity to have something where she will want to spend time with me through these teen years!).  I'm not an avid fisherman (that may be changing now due to my daughter), but have been out a lot with friends as the "gofer" on the boat, and so have picked up some things over the years, but have never been "the guy" responsible for finding and hooking the fish.  Well, I'm taking the day off tomorrow and my daughter and I are going out on our first fishing trip with just the two of us tomorrow out of Port Everglades (we live locally - I am an experienced boater).  I am thinking we will do some bottom/reef fishing - my daughter loves yellowtail, so hopefully we will land a few of those.  Might go hunting for some dolphin as well.  I wanted to ask the community for any suggestions or tips before we go out or a spot or two you might be willing to share (if you share privately you have my word it won't be shared with anyone else).  I look forward to sharing more (successes and failures!) with you all.  Thanks in advance for any help!!

Replies

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 607 Officer
    hire a guide that will come on your boat and show you the ropes it will be money well spent!!!!!
  • MADhatTERMADhatTER Posts: 37 Deckhand
    As you clear the cut....turn right....(south-east heading)...in about 30 ft of water is a series of buoy balls. You can run a boat rope off the bow to the buoy ball. 
    Bring a few bricks of chum, and start chumming. You WILL catch fish. You can catch yellowtail and maybe even a few keepers.

My kids love the buoy balls because its always non-stop action, but for me its usually not worth it as you'll catch a lot of small fish. I have caught some keeper muttons, mangroves, and my son caught a bigger cero mackerel last week. My wife landed a bonita also. 
    Use small bits of ballyhoo, squid, or silversides for bait. 
    Tomorrow looks like it will be pretty calm so it might be a nice day to try your luck.

Considering its your first time, I think this might be your best bet. It's an easy trip...no anchoring...non-stop action.
  • jsenskejsenske Fort LauderdalePosts: 2 Greenhorn
    @MADhatTER

I know the buoy balls you are talking about - thanks, we'll stop there for sure - thanks!
  • Jason9876Jason9876 Posts: 23 Deckhand
    Add the public artificial reefs to your GPS if you can.

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/artificial-reefs/locate/

And figure out where the 3 reefs are and drift them.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,278 Officer
    It will take a little time but start learning how to look for bottom.structure and fish on your screens.  It takes some practice but it helps with bottom fishing.  I mostly troll but I made an effort to learn to read the screen better and it helped my bottom fishing.

The other thing that really helped and may sound dumb....but get to know the people at the local bait/tackle shops.  They can be pretty helpful.

Good luck and stay safe.