Dolphin spearfishing adventure- Jupiter November 23

A little late with this post but it is another blown out weekend so I thought I would post it anyway. I took Zack and two friends out last Wednesday for a spearfishing day. We checked numerous spots from the Loran Tower all the way down to Lago Mar. Nice flat ocean with the SW wind but the water clarity was poor especially to the north and in some areas there was loads of moon jellyfish as well. Around 1:00 PM we decided to head off and look for dolphin. We trolled up a couple of skipjacks in 400 ft south of the Breakers and saw a couple of areas of fairly heavy grass but nothing real promising. We ran about 15 miles off and found a trap float and line with a large branch tangled in it. . We put a feather out as we approached instantly the dolphin appeared. I tied off to the float and put out a chum bag and the kids went in the water. I caught a few dolphin from the boat but the spearfishing was cramping my style from the boat. We caught 11 dolphin and a large rainbow runner (11 lbs). There were bunches of wahoo and wehoos hanging around but they would not eat a bait or speed jig. Zack hit two with the gun but they pulled off much to his great displeasure. Burned a lot of gas but it was one of those priceless days on the ocean it glassed of for awhile while the kids were in the water. I thought I was going to have to gaff my son to get him out of the water in time to run in before it got dark.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Replies

• VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    love it. great report. i gotta do that sometime.
    2392.jpg
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Fireman Bill,

Great report!

It was a beautiful day on the 23rd.. we were out as well.

Take care buddy.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • lanjamlanjam Posts: 173 Officer
    Excellent report! Hard work pays off :-)
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Good job dad! Those kids look happy!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • holymackerelholymackerel Posts: 232 Officer
    i maybe wrong it almost looks like a wahoo swimming away in one of the pics
    i maybe wrong it almost looks like a wahoo swimming away in one of the pics

Now.. I was thinking it looked like a Humpback Whale. :grin:grin:grin

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Beautiful!!!!!!!!!
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 571 Officer
    My son estimated that there were 30 to 50 wahoo around the float and our boat the entire time we were there. That is a wahoo in the photo. Not the best photo but how many opportunities do we get locally for underwater wahoo photos?
    My son estimated that there were 30 to 50 wahoo around the float and our boat the entire time we were there. That is a wahoo in the photo. Not the best photo but how many opportunities do we get locally for underwater wahoo photos?

Now I'm bummed finding out it wasn't a Humpback Whale.

Seriously though.. that had to be a heck of a sight to see all those hoo's around him!

It is a GREAT photo knowing how fast they swim.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    that is a huge rainbow runner
  • fishdaddyfishdaddy Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Nice pic of the wahoo! Great day.
    FISHING! the original religion
  • GreenngoldfeverGreenngoldfever Posts: 194 Officer
    Sick Underwater pics man!
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain

Great trip, good looking crew, and nice fish.
    I think the wahoo pic is AWESOME. I would enjoy getting a chance to watch them in their "native" environment and surroundings. VERY interesting to hear there may have been as many as 50, and the one depicted looks to be a decent size. Thx for sharing:thumbsup
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptKeemauCaptKeemau Posts: 232 Deckhand
    I gotta do that sometime.
    :Agree
    I’ve been dying to do that myself. Great job guys.
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 571 Officer
    It is amazing what the kids are seeing under big rafts of grass and floats offshore. We fished a float a couple of months ago (before the wind fan got stuck at full throttle) my son saw several wahoo under that float and prior to that I trolled up a bunch of dolphin one day and began throwing all kinds of cut up bait in the water to hold the fish. The boys were not very quick into the water because their gear was in a big tangled mess all over the deck(imagine that) but the first boy into the water said there was a blue marlin under the boat eating the chunk bait I was throwing overboard. I did not see the marlin or any of the wahoo from the boat. It just goes to show you you really never know what is under a well seasoned float offshore.

They have not had a shot at a really big dolphin yet. I am waiting to see how they react when they see a really big shark way offshore shadowing a float looking for picnic goodies.

Fireman Bill