Home Off Topic

Gonna be a scorcher in Hotlanta?

Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,464 Captain
edited June 14 in Off Topic #1
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/06/13/atlanta-wendys-shooting-rayshard-brooks-surveillance-witness-video-vpx.cnn

Even used CNN as a source so as to not seem like a.... One sided deplorable to my left leaning friends. 

Replies

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,850 Captain
    Just another one of tarpon Terminators martyrs
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,119 AG
    edited June 14 #5
    I think the cop knew it was a taser since they had just fought over it. My understanding is a taser is non lethal. The taser was bright yellow. You can see in reflecting in the camera. It is designed so you don't mistake it for a gun. 

I can't see shooting a guy who points a taser at you. The other cop did not have his weapon drawn. 

It appears the cop chasing had a taser, the guy running shot back and the cop dropped his taser or it was pulled out of his hand. The cop then pulled his weapon and shot the guy.

I do not think it is a legitimate shoot to me. The guy was stupid, but the cop had no reason to shoot at that point. 

Plus the cop is shooting toward innocent bystanders in their cars in line. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,071 Captain
    They could of let the guy run away, they had his car and could of easily found him later.  

Though I think this case has more extenuating circumstances than the cop who stone cold murdered Floyd by kneeling on his neck while handcuffed for nine minutes. 

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,207 Captain
    There are two professions you could not pay me to do. One is a police officer, the other is a roofer.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,596 AG
    Gary S said:
    There are two professions you could not pay me to do. One is a police officer, the other is a roofer.
    what about a gay midget **** star?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,177 Captain
    Perhaps the guy should not have been driving that "sleepy".... i assume he was under the influence, but we can wait for the toxicology reports...

Perhaps the guy could have not resisted arrest?  Or not grabbed the cops taser in the first place?   

Perhaps we should start putting more blame on these poor innocent people who seemingly get randomly shot by police.... 
  • anglerplusanglerplus MiccoPosts: 662 Officer
    Perhaps we need to hold people to a higher standard in general, called personal responsibility. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,477 Admiral
    I heard a glimpse of the story and told my fiance good thing it was a black cop who shot him.  Later found out it was a white police officer who did it, surprised there isn't more unrest and a big race issue.
    edited June 14 #14
    There’s a bunch of ways the suspect could have done major damage with that taser. Supposed he incapacitated the officers with it. Then what? Steal their cars? Take their guns? Or maybe he would run further and taze a random civilian? 

Just out of curiosity, how do you incapacitate two officers with one Taser?

The guy running had already deployed the taser when he pointed it at the officer to get away, The cop chasing deployed his as well. Both Tasers were used. After the taser missed or did not work, the cop shot him. 

My understanding is the courts have ruled you can't shoot a fleeing felon, 

I think the cop was caught up in the situation and may have thought the guy was going for one of the cars waiting in line. I still think he overreacted shooting the guy, especially in a crowded parking lot with cars behind the suspect as it appears in the video. 

I doubt the cop gets charged or convicted of a crime. Would like to know what the cop was thinking in that situation. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited June 14 #15
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,542 AG
    he wasnt fleeing when he was shot. However i dont think a taser is worthy of a deadly response.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,404 Officer
    Maverick said, you don’t have time to think. If you think, you die.  I’m going with that. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,464 Captain
    Whatever happens from here, this couldn't have happened at a worse time.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,301 Captain
    cadman said:
    There’s a bunch of ways the suspect could have done major damage with that taser. Supposed he incapacitated the officers with it. Then what? Steal their cars? Take their guns? Or maybe he would run further and taze a random civilian? 

Just out of curiosity, how do you incapacitate two officers with one Taser?

The guy running had already deployed the taser when he pointed it at the officer to get away, The cop chasing deployed his as well. Both Tasers were used. After the taser missed or did not work, the cop shot him. 

My understanding is the courts have ruled you can't shoot a fleeing felon, 

I think the cop was caught up in the situation and may have thought the guy was going for one of the cars waiting in line. I still think he overreacted shooting the guy, especially in a crowded parking lot with cars behind the suspect as it appears in the video. 

I doubt the cop gets charged or convicted of a crime. Would like to know what the cop was thinking in that situation. 
    It depends on the taser. Some models fire multiple shots. If the taser was this one, it can deploy 2 shots without a reload:

https://buy.axon.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=22003

I watched the video again. You can actually see the suspect fire the taser at the officer. Watch you'll see the sparks or blast shoot out from the suspect's taser and then see him dragging the darts as he runs and they spark on the concrete. 

The fleeing felon rule says this:

"A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

This seems totally unlike either Aubery or Floyd. From a legal standpoint, this case is going to have the biggest implications. Depending on whether the LEO gets prosecuted or successfully sued, it could give suspects a lot of leeway to be violent with officers and not expect to the shot for it. This could also be the straw that breaks the camel's back for law enforcement, because I suspect most LEOs would find this shooting reasonable given the circumstances and I could foresee LEOs pushing back strong against and sort of denial of their ability to use deadly force in similar circumstances. 

If BLM has a right to riot past a certain breaking point, at some point LEOs are going to have that right too to push back against the anti-LEO sentiment of the country. There will come a point where LEOs will stop rolling over at all the hate they're getting. 

Aurbery and Floyd are plenty good enough to give the mob something to have blood over. It will be a mistake for the BLM movement to lump this in with those cases because it will damage their credibility to do so. 
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,177 Captain
    The only thing that matters to the majority of folks is that a white cop killed a black man.  circumstances be damned..  if that aint racist, i dont know what it
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited June 14 #23
    The only thing that matters to the majority of folks is that a white cop killed a black man.  circumstances be damned..  if that aint racist, i dont know what it
    It probably helps you to think that circumstances don't matter.

Of course they matter, and they are right there on video for all to see and judge for themselves.

And if ignoring all that ain't racist then we can fall back on just plain stupid.  
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,150 Captain
    Lol, they should’ve knelt on the deer’s neck like “deer hunters do”. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 309 Deckhand
    Tony Roma said:
    Past out drunk in a Wendy’s drive thru resists arrest with violence , steals an officers weapon, runs from the officers, then turns weapon on officers. I’m not sure what the cop is supposed to do there? 
    The woke thing to do would have been to give the lad a foot washing, and apologize for his white heteronormative cisgender privilege. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited June 14 #26
    The woke thing to do would be to not shoot him in the back.

But I can understand why you might want to make up that crap.  It must be very unsettling to realize that a large portion of white folks don't see the world the way that you do.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,404 Officer
    edited June 14 #27
    A deer can really screw you up. Those hooves are like knives when they start flaying around. 

Edited to add, I’ve been run over by a deer, and a cow. They both hurt like the devil. 
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,071 Captain
    edited June 14 #28
    I have to agree that it's a lot to expect of any cop to show restraint during a scuffle, and especially when he loses his taser and it's used at him.

With that said, it should of never gotten that far for a guy sleeping in his car. I'd have to see just how and why it escalated to the point of a scuffle.

Also, bringing up the stereotype speculating without basis on this the fellow's upbringing says more about those that do it, than it does the subject. 
    From the news I read, he was drunk and being arrested for DUI when he tried to escape. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,464 Captain
    Big fella was quite the hand full, regardless.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,932 Admiral
    Officer Garrett Rolfe has been terminated by Atlanta PD in the Officer-involved shooting