Home Off Topic

Photo Hosting Sites

gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 395 Deckhand
The subject of photo hosting came up recently and I'd like to share my thoughts.  I tried a couple of photo hosting sites over the years and didn't much care for them.  It's much simpler and more secure to just do your own.....and it's easy.  For me, at least, it's easier to organize them, too.

Many of you will just shake your heads and say, "well, duh," but many others should find this interesting, from what I've seen here.

1st, I create a folder on the desktop and name it appropriately.  Pretty much everything except special applications go in that folder.  (background picture is from my boat while at Chilko Lake, B.C., Canada)  TBSSD (E) is an SSD drive piggy-backed to my C drive in the confuser.

Then I start breaking it down by subject.  I do a "lot" of hiking locally, but you could use "Fishing Trips" or whatever.  "General" is a short term folder that I use for pictures I'm going to share, then delete. 

I don't like putting full size images in a post, so resize selected pictures to 1000 pixels wide and change the name a bit to keep them separate.  Note my selected photo here is over 8 mb in size, as it came out of the camera.

After editing to just over 150 kilobytes, the photo is plenty large to see clearly, takes much less space and downloads faster.

At the top of your compose page, click on the picture icon, then just drag and drop your selected photo.  Do them one at a time with descriptive text in between and pretty quick you have a picture story, as here.  I have 100s of stories saved from all over the continent.....including FL.  I've got many years worth saved, all in order and all quickly and easily accessed......hard part is remembering what I did when....or when I did what.   ????  Huh ??  Old age (senior years) is fun, eh ??

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,537 AG
    Do you have an external hard drive to back them up then?

Captain Todd Approves

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 395 Deckhand
    mplspug said:
    Do you have an external hard drive to back them up then?
    Oh, you bet.  I have several.  Losing 20 years worth of stories would be devastating.
    Recently, I've been building my stories in Google Docs, and can email them as attachments, but now I find that I can't put them on here.  They won't drag and drop, or paste or anything else I've tried.  Any ideas, anyone ??
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,537 AG
    Building stories in Google docs?  Explain.

Anywho, I have YouTube premium and they are sending me a free Google Nest Mini which I think is pretty cool.

Captain Todd Approves

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    edited May 30 #6
    gogittum said:
    Recently, I've been building my stories in Google Docs, and can email them as attachments, but now I find that I can't put them on here.  They won't drag and drop, or paste or anything else I've tried.  Any ideas, anyone ??
    Yes sir, this site is set up for 3rd party hosting. Try imgur. Its free and easy.
    mplspug said:
    Building stories in Google docs?  Explain.

I like to start a page - on email, as well as here - with a short intro, then a picture - a picture that's re-sized down to 100 - 150 kb for smaller file size.  After the picture, more text to explain it, then the next picture.  Exactly as I've done at the beginning of this post and as I did for my shooting gongs story a week or so ago:   

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/278534/shooting-a-steel-gong-with-pistols#latest   

It's a long story, but lately I've been using Google Docs to put my stories together and save them.  Fine and it does well; I can attach them to an email as an HTML document, but now I'm finding that transferring a story to this forum's compose page is very difficult, if not impossible.  Experimenting is ongoing.

I have the fishing trip to Tampa Bay and Key Largo in '04 on a Google Docs folder but haven't been able to attach it.  Oh well.