Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crab boats of yester year

In the 50s-60s I saw crab and oyster boats which had an outboard mounted in a well just aft of the center of the boat. I assume these were locally built but don't  know that.

Were the constructed this way to allow a single operator to handle the boat while pulling traps and it nor why constructed in this fashion. Also, are they still in use today?

Finally anyone have pictures of such craft?

Replies

• stevenattsustevenattsu PensacolaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Yep well boats or bird dog. Not many since the net ban. Tremblay was a big builder of them. Theres a guy in the big bend that builds quite a few a year, goes by Kracker Built Boats https://www.facebook.com/KrackerBuiltBoatsAndinshoreFishingCharters/
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    net boats and many blue crabbed also

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,228 Officer
    Do a Google search for "well boat", then click on "images". As you scroll down you'll see plenty of examples.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    Most of them were mullet fishermen.  No more gill nets.  Motor forward did a couple things... one could run shallower, two increased maneuverability.  I struck a few pretty big mullet nets out of one as a kid.  Was a lot of fun!  Of course, we're better off without them, but it was still a hoot.  
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,187 Admiral
    We still don't have the mullet population as we once had.. :(
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    We still don't have the mullet population as we once had.. :(
    I really don't know what to attribute that to.  Only thing I can figure is cast net boats where the runs are still really thick.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,187 Admiral
    Perhaps if they would open up the old pass!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    you have more mullet than you have ever had, runs just arent as concentrated as the pressure is less.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Still a few in southwest Florida running around. Nice to see relics from the past still out working.
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    I know a guy who's a comericial crabber in the bay area that builds these kind of boats. Man he does good work. Builds boats for the state for research too. Hell of a nice guy and I've learned so much from him about the fishery. Things I thought were true about the gill net ban that are untrue. Sounds like the recreational fisherman were dupped during voting. 
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,384 Officer
    I grew up in a commercial fishing family.  The commercial guys screwed themselves because they will never police themselves; they'll fish a resource until it's gone forever, just like the old meat hunters and plume hunters.  The roe mullet are a prime example; the roe was shipped to Japan at exorbitant prices while the carcasses were dumped by the ton.  ANUMBER1 has no clue about the number of black mullet swimming today, he's a commercial guy; it'll take a lot more years before we see the numbers that existed before the roe mullet onslaught started.  How are the kingfish and Spanish mackeral doing these days?  Nothing like the 60's and early 70's before the roller net boys and spotter planes got to them.  ANUMBER1, on this forum, accused me of lying about the kingfish and mackeral ending up as cat food.  My youngest brother worked in the fishhouse that handled most of the roller net boats out of Ft. Pierce that killed off the fishery; much of that catch did, in fact go to cat food factories because it was unfit for human consumption.  The nets are picked by hand, the fish don't just fall out onto the fishhouse docks.  The boats would arrive at the dock with tons of fish in the net, on the deck, no refrigeration.  The crew started out in the early days picking them for quality fish, but the numbers soon overwhelmed all of them and then picking the nets was a case of grabbing the fish by the tail and yanking them out, tearing off gills, and even whole heads.  Not to mention that pretty often the crew would head for the bar when they docked leaving the fish for later. The retail fish markets wouldn't buy this junk, they couldn't sell it!  So the fish went to the only market left, Kitty Kibble.  ANUMBER1 can paint all the pretty pictures he wants but other folks were there and were sickened by the mess these people made.  The hook and line kingfishermen, who landed quality fish, were driven out of the business, you can't catch what's not there anymore.  The recreational fishermen were not duped during the voting; they got it right.  And we'll get it right again if it ever comes up again.