Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rigging diving plugs ?

never done it before but bought a few X-Raps today for those times the live bait vanishes. Any tips on rigging would be great. Haywire to the lure? Swivels? Any help would be great. 

Replies

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I am not a pro, but I tie my main line to a swivel, then haywire 30 inches of wire to the swivel and then haywire the other wire end to the ring on the x rap.  

I am going to switch up and use braid for my main line on my planer and X-rap rods. 

Good luck 
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
     Here are some of mine. 

I like to use a short piece of 275 cable because it doesn't kink easley. 

If I was going to use hard wire. I would use a thimble like the Bonita on the left. It will spread the load & reduce the fatigue on the wire from the wiggling lure. Preventing a possible break at the point of connection. 

I've also used 80, 100 & 150 mono. Plenty of times. Occasionally you will get cut off on the mono. The mono is more resilient than hard wire & wont break from kinking. 

If one of your plugs starts running crazy to the side. Check you rigging for kinks. You may find that some naturally run favoring one side. 
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 868 Officer
    I use mono with a small stainless steel thimble. If you pull nomads don't rig them on straight wire like they recommend. They wiggle so much that you will wear through the wire in a couple hours of trolling and lose your lure.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 844 Officer
    Pangaman said:
    I use mono with a small stainless steel thimble. If you pull nomads don't rig them on straight wire like they recommend. They wiggle so much that you will wear through the wire in a couple hours of trolling and lose your lure.
    So mainline, swivel , mono leader, thimble, lure? I’ve never used a thimble and to be honest never knew what they were used for. 
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 868 Officer
    I use a wind on leader. 100 feet of 80 or 130 pound. I bought a shimano bobbin this year to tie bobbin knots. Gives you 100% knot strength and makes the smallest knot to go through the guides. Some like the fg knot, but if you don't tie right, it can fail. I put a crimp on the line, run mono through the lure tighten line up a little and put the thimble on and tighten up the rest of the way then crimp. Otherwise you can use a snap swivel so you can change out your lures easier with a swivel and leader. I have had best luck on pink and black with pink stripes. So I just pull them all the time.