Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Does Anyone Here Do Any Tortugas Trips On The Sea Trek?

If you do, how deep of water do they fish on most of these trips? Does this boat fish wrecks, reefs, ledges or all of these types of waters? Can you also give me some do's and don'ts regarding fishing on this boat? Any helpful tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• iiazimuthiiiiazimuthii Posts: 40 Deckhand
    They fish all different depths. Bring 3 poles. That is all you are allowed. I stepped up my game for the next trip and bought a carbon jigging rod and good reel for the next trip. Jigging works. 100g should be a good one to bring if you can. Don't bring small gear. I brought a 4000 for yellowtail but i left it in the holder the whole time. Great Crew!!! Going again for snapper season in June.
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 296 Deckhand
    You mention yellowtail, do they chum for them or do you just drop a bait to the bottom or drift one out without a chum line? H ow deep do you think is the deepest they fish? I have fished the Gulfstar before and I'm going to fish the Yankee Capts sometime this year so I'm trying to compare these trips with each other. I'll probably do a report comparing them after I've fished all three. If there's any other info you can give me before I go please do so.
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 228 Deckhand
    Thank you for starting this thread.  I had no idea that did a Tortugas trip from FM.  I live here and will be looking into this trip.  Looking forward to other people sharing their experiences about it.  Thanks in advance!
    TYVM, Dodger. I'm on a small mission to fish on different overnight head boat trips in the next 2 or 3 years. I fished on the Gulfstar last July at the Elbow. I fished the Dry Tortugas several times in the 1970s and 80s and I want to fish there again. I want to fish the Pulley Ridge Lite and Halfway Ledge trips on the Yankee Capts because those are places in the Tortugas that I've never fished and they seem to be very productive trips. The Sea Trek appears to be a relatively inexpensive option to fish the Gulf side in the Tortugas so I'll probably go on at least one of those trips too. I haven't fished The Middle Grounds yet so I might do another Gulfstar trip too. I don't think I'll go on the Hubbards trips because they will put 40 or more fishermen on the boat. Anyway, please keep the information coming. It's a great help to me and to others also.
  • Salt LifeSalt Life Posts: 26 Deckhand
    I too am extremely interested on information about this boat and the trip. Been wanting to do a trip like this but always seemed you had to go out of the Keys to do this. I am always in Ft. Myers area for vacation and if this trip works out I won't have to spend the extra time and money getting to the Keys.
    So my first trip was June 2019. It was 4 of us and we had to share the boat with 12 more people. We did not do any chumming for YT. That is why my rod stayed in rod holder. We also bought Pin fish at the dock. Had one grouper conventional rod and a jigging rod. So this time (June 2020) I got the whole boat with 16 of my buddies and 500 pin fish to go with it. I will bring a new carbon slow pitch jigging rod, A fast jigging rod and one conventional grouper rod. Leave the small stuff home. Great captains and a great crew as well. I highly recommend this trip.
    They don't have a FAQs section on their website so I have emailed them a few times with questions. The last email of mine asked about depths and structure they fished and they didn't answer my question. They just sent me a pdf form or whatever that gave a very brief description of what to bring, basically, and it also had the phone number of their office. They could've just said something like " we fish 60-150 feet of water so bring so and so type tackle but they didn't
    I got some better info from talking to a woman on their phone line. It wasn't in a lot of detail but it helped give me a better understanding of their trips. I'll probably go on one of their trips sometime.
    iiazimthii, how many grouper and snapper did you catch on your trip? How big were the grouper? That's mainly what I'd like to catch. I'm a fried grouper lover, for sure!! What do you use for your grouper outfit?
    edited February 2020 #11
    There were alot of grouper and snapper. Check them out on Facebook. They keep a good amount of fishing pictures on there from their trips. Also go check out the Yankee Capts QA page to get some better understanding of what gear to bring. Sent you a PM.
    I'm booked on the June 23 red snapper trip. Anyone else going on this trip? I'll post about it when i return. If the trip goes well I'll fish with them again but after this trip I think the next one will be the Yankee Capts!!! I'm hoping to go on a July trip with them. If not I'll book a trip with them for the fall or winter. If I get a second stimulus check I'll probably book another trip this year too!!