Home Off Topic

What would do?

13»

Replies

• bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,272 Officer
    No one touches it but me.  

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,690 AG
    edited May 26 #63
    I do not remember the last time I actually gave anyone my card other than the one hotel this weekend. I did sanitize it after that.

Every terminal is on the customer side now and you insert your own card. You don't hand your card to anyone anymore except at restaurants and even that is becoming more rare as time passes. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    cadman said:
    gogittum said:
    johnpowers said:\

No one uses cash anymore??
     What universe is that in? Cash is still king. 
     $100 bills, have you been grocery shopping? You can burn a Cnote and not have much in the buggy. 
    I'm a single old man and I still burn a couple of $100 a month at the market - but I pay with ATM, as do most.  Some still pay by check and some with cash - small bills.  I can't remember the last time I saw someone flash a $100.....it's been years.

I'll ask Cadman for his input.  In his business, he'd be the one on the spot to know who's paying with what.
    Hate to tell you John, cash is not king. Try paying cash at a car dealer and you will pay more for the car. Cash is good for private sales, but most business don't care which you use and a few places won't even take cash these days for security reasons. You can tell who the old folks are when they use that expression in today's society. 

80% of my business is credit or debit card. Only old people use cash these days. Younger people will buy a $1 drink with a debit card. it is the same in the grocery store. If you see anyone using a check under 70, it is likely going to bounce. I think nationwide the average is 30% of all sales is cash and the rest are credit or debit. 

$100 is an interesting question. The only people I see use $100 bills is hispanics and tourists heading down I-75. Usually the tourist are older people too.

It is usually people who actually get a paper check and don't have bank accounts that use $100 bills like Hispanics. Some of those even get paid in cash. The only other time I see them is the occasional moron who has a huge wad of money with a $100 bill on the outside and ones on the inside. He still thinks it is the 80s where that impresses someone. 
    Go through a Cat 5 hurricane and you will learn real fast that cash is king.  ;)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,676 AG
    cadman said:
    gogittum said:
    johnpowers said:\

No one uses cash anymore??
     What universe is that in? Cash is still king. 
     $100 bills, have you been grocery shopping? You can burn a Cnote and not have much in the buggy. 
    I'm a single old man and I still burn a couple of $100 a month at the market - but I pay with ATM, as do most.  Some still pay by check and some with cash - small bills.  I can't remember the last time I saw someone flash a $100.....it's been years.

I'll ask Cadman for his input.  In his business, he'd be the one on the spot to know who's paying with what.
    Hate to tell you John, cash is not king. Try paying cash at a car dealer and you will pay more for the car. Cash is good for private sales, but most business don't care which you use and a few places won't even take cash these days for security reasons. You can tell who the old folks are when they use that expression in today's society. 

80% of my business is credit or debit card. Only old people use cash these days. Younger people will buy a $1 drink with a debit card. it is the same in the grocery store. If you see anyone using a check under 70, it is likely going to bounce. I think nationwide the average is 30% of all sales is cash and the rest are credit or debit. 

$100 is an interesting question. The only people I see use $100 bills is hispanics and tourists heading down I-75. Usually the tourist are older people too.

It is usually people who actually get a paper check and don't have bank accounts that use $100 bills like Hispanics. Some of those even get paid in cash. The only other time I see them is the occasional moron who has a huge wad of money with a $100 bill on the outside and ones on the inside. He still thinks it is the 80s where that impresses someone. 
    Go through a Cat 5 hurricane and you will learn real fast that cash is king.  ;)
    I remember in 2004 when the 3 hurricanes hit, we pulled something like 600 bucks and put it in a drawer, then forgot about it for like 10 years.   Wife was cleaning one day and found it..Winning
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    What does that have to do with day to day life?  There are rare times you might need cash, but most people carry very little day to day and few use it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,272 Officer
    I think they still use cash for drug deals.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Ban ever bad word, track every dollar we won't know we lost freedom until it is gone. 
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 984 Officer
    I think they still use cash for drug deals.
    So I've been told. Heard a few stories where the dealers aren't very fond of personal checks or iou's 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,133 Captain
    cadman said:
    What does that have to do with day to day life?  There are rare times you might need cash, but most people carry very little day to day and few use it. 
    You never know when someone needing money wants to get rid of something you gotta have. Couple hundred in your pocket can make some good deals happen.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,454 AG
    Cash is still king when buying directly from people, at least that's been my experience.
    My youngest has an e commerce business and the majority of his person to person buys are cash.
    also when buying a boat or car from someone a fish full of cash often gets you a better price.
    Again, this is in my experience and your mileage may vary. :)

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    As I said in my first reply, private sales is where cash is used. But in everyday life, very few people use cash. The average is 30% of all sales is cash, the rest is credit or debit. 

Buying a car from a private individual will always take cash in some form. But cash will not get you a better price at most dealerships. Usually you will pay more if you offer cash at the dealer. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    As I said in my first reply, private sales is where cash is used. But in everyday life, very few people use cash. The average is 30% of all sales is cash, the rest is credit or debit. 

Buying a car from a private individual will always take cash in some form. But cash will not get you a better price at most dealerships. Usually you will pay more if you offer cash at the dealer. 
    There are a couple of very sketchy convenience stores that bank where my wife works, they always bring in brand new 100$ bills, and always just below the amount required to fill out a suspicious activity report or report to the IRS.  Everyone knows they are laundering money but in those amounts it's near impossible to bust them on.  In the real world, everyone uses cards, but in the imaginary world of laundering money people still use cash all the time.    
    cadman said:

There are a couple of very sketchy convenience stores that bank where my wife works, they always bring in brand new 100$ bills, and always just below the amount required to fill out a suspicious activity report or report to the IRS.  Everyone knows they are laundering money but in those amounts it's near impossible to bust them on.  In the real world, everyone uses cards, but in the imaginary world of laundering money people still use cash all the time.    
    Actually banks are required to report suspicious activity like multiple deposits just below the reportable amount. Something in your story is not correct. I have a form in file with the bank due to my cash deposits. it has all my personal data and the source where the funds come from. 
    I get calls confirming electronic deposits and what they are for. The banks do a lot of monitoring when cash is involved. 

If they are laundering and the bank is doing their job, the IRS is already monitoring them. 
    The law does not allow banks to ignore cash below $10,000 if it is multiple deposits per week just below that. 

The IRS is now having banks monitor cash below $5000 if it is recurring and unusual.

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    cadman said:

Actually banks are required to report suspicious activity like multiple deposits just below the reportable amount. Something in your story is not correct. I have a form in file with the bank due to my cash deposits. it has all my personal data and the source where the funds come from. 
    I get calls confirming electronic deposits and what they are for. The banks do a lot of monitoring when cash is involved. 

If they are laundering and the bank is doing their job, the IRS is already monitoring them. 
    The law does not allow banks to ignore cash below $10,000 if it is multiple deposits per week just below that. 

The IRS is now having banks monitor cash below $5000 if it is recurring and unusual.

Just telling you what she tells me.   I'm sure she reports it.   She's been in banking for over 18 years she knows what she is doing.  The brand new 100s are pretty much the dead giveaway.   And then wiring money as well.   
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Even in a grocery store I use cash unless it’s over a hundred dollars. 
    Majority of time using cash is faster than using a credit card, unless you have some youngster cashier who can’t count change, especially if you give exact change after the computer tells them the amount. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,133 Captain
     especially if you give exact change after the computer tells them the amount. 
    Don't do that. It will make their head explode.