Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Corned beef

lakemanlakeman Posts: 786 Officer
Has anyone tried to smoke or I guess grill a corn beef.
I googled it and it was kinda all over the place in suggestions.  Some sites now have so much advertising that they are almost non functional.

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    It's great put a rub on with a lot of brown sugar put a pan under it with water and catch all that drips off. Make sure pan doesn't dry out and take this and add to beans. Best baked beans you can make.
  • WhitetailedWhitetailed Central FloridaPosts: 12 Deckhand
    Smoked corned beef is a pastrami! Check out youtube for some good advice on sous vide cooking a corned beef, and then seasoning , aging and smoking it. Delicious!
  • dnelsondnelson Posts: 246 Deckhand
    The recent ones had them wash all seasoning off, and use a rub with low salt content. Then smoke like a brisket- the end product looked great
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,130 Officer
    You can also bake a corned beef and if you baste it in ginger ale the sugar in rgw ginger ale will not only form a glaze, but also counter the salt. Try it and you will be surprised.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 287 Deckhand
    I thought you were looking to make it. Not to different then ham or bacon. 
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Only way I would even consider eating corned beef. Make sure you soak it in water over night

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,315 Officer
    edited May 27 #8
    I have... they're great. I have to get as much salt out of it as I can by soaking in water for a few days (change the water every few hours the first day), then I rub with a combo of coarse ground black pepper, some fresh cracked or ground coriander seed, a little fresh milled allspice, some ground mustard seed and some brown sugar. Overnight in the fridge then smoke like a brisket.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
     Is a corned beef not the same cut of beef as brisket? Only with different seasoning. 

I've rubbed it grilled it smoked it low & slow in the past. Mmmm... good. 
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,315 Officer
    edited May 28 #10
     Is a corned beef not the same cut of beef as brisket? Only with different seasoning. 

Typically it is a corned brisket but can be other cuts as well.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s