Home Off Topic

Made In China

AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,013 Admiral
I ordered a 22 foot 24 bay boat center console cover. It arrived in a box and and 5 inch letters it said made in China. Any germaphobes out there that would have a problem handling this package? I'm pretty much a germaphobe before this started I'll put it on my boat and wash my hands and not worry about it. Any other germaphobes out there that don't want to deal with Chinese packaging and products? I'm hearing quite a bit of it.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,993 AG
    edited May 26 #2
    Unless it was shipped by air, the virus has long since died.

I'd be FAR more worried about the people in this country that touched it.

Your germaphobia isn't such a bad thing these days, AC, and I'm starting to come around to your view.  :)
  • CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    You know, I buy cheap stuff from China too and have thought about it being possibly contagious, but they say the virus can only live on surfaces for a matter of hours, days at the most, and it takes friggin' weeks for that China stuff to float over here on some cargo ship, so no I don't really worry about it.

My mailman seems to be doing OK and he handles a lot more from China than I do!
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    edited May 26 #4
    Before the virus started I was just very careful in bathrooms public locations. I wash my hands and I use the paper towel to open the door to exit the bathroom that's about it. Funny thing is being a mechanic most of my life dirt never bothered me I could have dirt grease and oil on my hands wipe.most of it off with a paper towel and eat a sandwich. Didn't bother me the least bit LOL. Dirt and grease don't have germs.

Now my plumber buddies that working sewers and septic tanks all day and eat sandwiches at the deli that I have frequent. That's another story LOL
    Heck what I ordered the center console cover I never even thought about where it was coming from. I didn't notice come from China, but I guess that's typical these days
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,205 AG
    All the disposable masks I get are made in China.
    There is no issue by the time it gets here.

Mini Mart Magnate

This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,564 AG
    Did the cover have bat poop or leftover bat soup in the packaging?

Captain Todd Approves

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,613 Admiral
    Bring that Console Cover over to my house and I'll lick it...
    Some Folks worry too much. 
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,878 Captain
    Bring that Console Cover over to my house and I'll lick it...
    Some Folks worry too much. 
    Not sure which I would be more worried about, the rona or the lick? lol
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,982 Captain
    AC Man said:
     Dirt and grease don't have germs.

Say What?

Sit down and take a deep breath. This might be hard to take.

Every single cubic inch of this planet, from the bottom of the ocean to several miles in the atmosphere, is crammed full of bacteria and fungus ... which are, in general, called "germs". Until and unless you, your food, clothes, and utensils, have been inside an autoclave, surrounded by steam, heat, and pressure, the germs are there, and aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,217 Officer
    Yea but most of those germs won't hurt you.  You only need one rona to kill you.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

Part of my question was tongue in cheek, however, when we had the Bird flu a few years ago a guy I new imported granite from China and he was banned from bringing it into the US.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 775 Officer
    Funny you brought this up.  Recently  I had a bad part on some chairs my wife bought, so I contacted the company and said no refund but need the part.  It was shipped by UPS brown truck or another company direct from China.  It had the usual cheap packing paper around it but well protected.  I let is set in the sun for a  couple of days just to make sure LOL