Home Off Topic

Gentlemen

ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
Everyone of these markers represents our best..
No left, no right, just our best..

Reflect on that a little, no retort or acknowledgement needed..
I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    Well said, Art.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,299 Admiral
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,122 Officer
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,998 Captain
    Amen
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
    My hair raises on the back of my neck and just looking at the pics is humbling, A1. 

GL, how is everything? Well, I hope. HH was a good man and member and I do remember him. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,586 Admiral
    I was a little drunk when I opened this thread and now I have sobered up and shed a tear(s). Thanks Art for reminding us of what this is all about. God Bless all who have served and even those who haven't. We are all one American family regardless of our ideals, religion and politics. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    edited May 25 #13
    GL and all the rest, thanks for the positives..

Y'all say a little prayer (if that don't work for you, then just give thanks) for our vets, past and present.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,262 Officer
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,568 Captain
    So glad my insomnia took me to Off Topic. God Bless all who gave it ALL.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,375 Officer

Some of you may have seen this but now's a good time to watch it again.

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Went to this cemetery in Luxembourg when I was a teenager. Had a lasting impact. 
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,455 Moderator
    The ultimate sacrifice. They deserve our deepest respect.  :'(
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,262 Officer
    Stolen from another site

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/us-marine-colonel-francis-fenton-funeral-1945/

While Colonel Fenton advanced to higher command, his younger son, Michael, enlisted in the Marine Corps on August 17, 1943, and joined B Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division – the same division in which his father commanded the engineers. Reportedly turning down a commission so he could fight at the front, Michael served as a scout-sniper (on) Okinawa. 

Father and son met once during the fighting when their paths crossed at a partially destroyed Okinawan farmhouse. After exchanging news from home, including information on Michael’s older brother, Francis, Jr., who had been commissioned a Marine officer in 1941, the two family members returned to their work. 

They would never talk again. On May 7, 1945, while beating back a Japanese counterattack not far from Sugar Loaf, 19-year-old Pfc. Michael Fenton was killed. When his father received the bitter news, he traveled to the site of his son’s death and knelt down to pray over the flagdraped body, a scene that produced one of the Pacific war’s most touching photographs. Upon arising, Colonel Fenton stared at the bodies of other Marine dead and said: ‘Those poor souls. They didn’t have their fathers here’.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,857 Moderator
    Thanks Art. Just got around to reading this. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,586 Admiral
    Gardawg said:

President Abraham Lincoln
    November 19, 1863

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate — we cannot consecrate — we cannot hallow — this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

My 6th grade teacher in Jr. High would make us write the Gettysburg address like 20 times when you got caught talking or goofing off in class. By the end of the school year, I had it memorized. It was a lot harder than writing "I will not talk in class" where you can do it in columns. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    The top two pics my GF  brought back from the South Pacific in WWII. The other two are self explanatory.

Here is from my Dad's grandfather who fought for the North in the American Civil war.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/45724298/christopher-a-warner

Abraham Lincoln
  • CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    edited May 26 #26
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,367 Captain