Home Boating

Best Deck Paint

JoeCoolJoeCool Posts: 127 Deckhand
I have a 1985 Mako Classic. The floor deck (original surface) seems to hold stains from leaves that blow into the boat. I store it outdoors under a plastic carport. I am thinking that I need to freshen-up the floor deck so to make it easier to clean (using bleach/water to remove the stains). I am not looking for an abrasive finish, but don't want to make it too slippery either. Can anyone recommend the best method/product to coat the deck?

Replies

• GotseaGotsea Posts: 860 Officer
    I help a friend do his we used Pettit EZ non skid paint, very easy to use and it came out very nice

• ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 119 Deckhand
    we just did my sons 24 ft Trophy with Truck bed liner, it came out nice and does not seem to slick, it comes in colors.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,021 Captain
    I've done a couple of boat floors now with Urethane paint.  Roll on a coat, then sprinkle a good coating of fine ashtray sand on it and let it sit overnight.  Next day, gently sweep the loose sand up with a bench brush or soft broom, then coat the remaining sand with another coat of paint.  Looks good, choice of any color you want, wears like iron and is very definitely non-skid.  On the 19 ft I'd roll a section, sprinkle sand, roll the next section.....
  • SangsterSangster Central FloridaPosts: 100 Deckhand
    I'm about to put Tuff Coat on my V20 deck.  Was less than $300 for 2 gallons of Tuff Coat and 2 quarts of primer/hardener.  
    Ryan

1983 Wellcraft V-20 Fisherman
    2001 Evinrude Ficht Ram 225
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,356 Officer
    I used Pettit EasyPoxy with non-skid grit mixed in on the deck and raised front area in a skiff that I'm restoring while staying mostly at home. I have used this on several previous boats, and it holds up well. 

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,546 Moderator
    edited May 2020 #7
    Any good two-part, Urethane will do a good job. I'm partial to Signature Finish but Awlgrip, Alexseal, Imron, Sterling, etc, are all good alternatives that will deliver similar results. 

With Signature, I usually apply 2-3 heavy coats and sprinkle non-skid additive on the final wet coat. I made a shaker out of a quart paint can with holes of appropriate size drilled in the lid. Cover it completely until all you can see is dry non-skid on top. Let cure overnight and then vacuum up excess with a shop vac/soft brush attachment. Finish with another few good top coats.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida