Home Off Topic

NASCAR can run the 600 but Indy can't run the 500?

AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
edited May 24 in Off Topic #1
Why? Biggest race in the world and I haven't heard one word.

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,819 Moderator
    Postponed till August.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Ron38SpecialRon38Special S FloridaPosts: 65 Deckhand
    My wife is dying over this delay. She is an Indy girl and has had her 16 seats since she was in high school. 34 years since she missed a May race.

But postponed is better than canceled.

And what about Pense, he buys the track and the race and his first year he has this. So much for that multi million dollar investment paying off this year.

At any rate, we already have our flights for the Aug 23rd race!!
  • Ron38SpecialRon38Special S FloridaPosts: 65 Deckhand
    Oh, another point, the race is one thing, but its also about the 400,000 fans in the stands!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,296 Admiral
    That's a lot of money for400k people.  Plus all the soveners they buy.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,469 Admiral
    Between 50 and 100 million dollars would be my guess would be my guess
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,164 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    That's a lot of money for400k people.  Plus all the soveners they buy.

Gardawg said:
    Between 50 and 100 million dollars would be my guess would be my guess

What could possibly be more important than that?
    Losing even more money?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,323 Captain
    Indy cars are prima dona of the racing world. 
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • Parker boyParker boy Posts: 138 Deckhand
    No, Indy car is not the prima dona of the racing world, Formula 1 is the prima dona of the racing world and probably the entire sports world.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,784 Captain
    A little insurance could of saved many of these events. I wonder if any American event holders had the foresight that the folks at Wimbledon did? 

The Wimbledon tennis tournament had the foresight to buy around £1.5 million (US$1.9 million) per year in pandemic insurance following the SARS outbreak in 2003, said GlobalData in a recent bulletin.

Paying out roughly £25.5 million (US$31.7 million) in premiums over that 17-year period, Wimbledon is set to receive an insurance payout of around £114 million (US$142 million) for this year’s cancelled tournament, “making it a very sensible investment,” said Ben Carey-Evans, insurance analyst at GlobalData, the London-based platform that provides data analytics and expert analysis about the world’s largest industries.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
    edited May 24 #11
    First of all my wonderful voice to text spelled Indy wrong. I realize it was postponed and I guess they need the revenue from the fans if they're taking a chance but who knows if it will go off as planned. NASCAR decide to run with no fans and it makes no difference because you're not paying attention to the fans in the stands in Motorsports.

I'll be watching NASCAR 600 tomorrow .
    It's been a long time since Roger Penske asked me for business advice. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
    What does that mean?
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,082 Captain
    Found out the hard way that driving on the Interstate, in Indianapolis, after they run the 500, is absurd. Everyone wants to race ... screw the limit ... . We were in town for some other business and forgot all about it until we hit the traffic.
    AC Man said:
    What does that mean?
    It's Roger's business decision to make.  He's a billionaire.  I ain't. 

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,817 AG
    A little insurance could of saved many of these events. I wonder if any American event holders had the foresight that the folks at Wimbledon did? 

The Wimbledon tennis tournament had the foresight to buy around £1.5 million (US$1.9 million) per year in pandemic insurance following the SARS outbreak in 2003, said GlobalData in a recent bulletin.

Paying out roughly £25.5 million (US$31.7 million) in premiums over that 17-year period, Wimbledon is set to receive an insurance payout of around £114 million (US$142 million) for this year’s cancelled tournament, “making it a very sensible investment,” said Ben Carey-Evans, insurance analyst at GlobalData, the London-based platform that provides data analytics and expert analysis about the world’s largest industries.

If they didn't before, they will now.  Those premiums are going up!

Captain Todd Approves