Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mahi trolling

When trolling bluewater, is it a waste of time trolling islander lures without ballyhoo - or is it / can it be still effective for mahi, BFT, wahoo -  thanks for your thoughts on that

Replies

• LakotaRainLakotaRain JaxPosts: 37 Deckhand
    Not sure about trolling without the ballyhoo..  I have found some success with this artificial..  I got frustrated after a few bad lots of pre-rigged baits....  I have since figured out how to rig my own.  It also comes rigged naked with a circle hook. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NXC1X2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
    25 Sea Fox Voyager...

• fishlawfishlaw Posts: 25 Deckhand

I am no expert, but when I troll an Islander, I use ballyhoo. For BF tuna, I usually just troll feathers, way back.

• DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,058 Captain
    We rarely run ballyhoo on top.  Mostly various lures with a piece of squid teaser on the hook.  Had great luck with Alien XLs, wahoo whackers, Lil Stuffys, etc. for the smaller fish with most of our bigger fish caught on ballyhoo behind a planer down deep.   We found we lost a lot of ballyhoo to small cudas when we ran them up top.
  • LakotaRainLakotaRain JaxPosts: 37 Deckhand
    We rarely run ballyhoo on top.  Mostly various lures with a piece of squid teaser on the hook.  Had great luck with Alien XLs, wahoo whackers, Lil Stuffys, etc. for the smaller fish with most of our bigger fish caught on ballyhoo behind a planer down deep.   We found we lost a lot of ballyhoo to small cudas when we ran them up top.
    That's great advice..  Honestly, I have never tried putting a piece of squid on back of a lure..  Assume you have to troll it pretty slow to keep it on the hook..

25 Sea Fox Voyager...

That's great advice..  Honestly, I have never tried putting a piece of squid on back of a lure..  Assume you have to troll it pretty slow to keep it on the hook..

I like to grab the head with the tentacles and cut it off the main body.  Run hook through eyes.  Save the main body for bottom fishing (although my buddy prefers long strips from the body).  That head part will normally stay on up to about 10 knots trolling speed. Strips seem to come off faster.  At least for Mahi we believe we sometimes get follow up bites when they grab the squid and get a taste but miss the lure on the first try.  Course too big of a squid piece and it can affect the lure action so play around with it a little.

• StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 213 Deckhand
    DoradoDreamin said:
    Would you recommend that I use my 80wides to a planer or should I go cleat to planer and utilize my TLD25's?
    We've done it both ways.  We normally run a number 2 and 1 planer directly on the rods (Penn 6/0 or 50 wide).  If we want to go deeper we use a #3 or bigger planer on a cleat and the old shower curtain ring trick and then you can use a smaller rod/reel for a better fight.  
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,321 Officer

Squid wings are great for this... Run behind a skirt, you can trim up and rig like a belly strip.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
    edited May 15 #10
    ACD said:
    When trolling bluewater, is it a waste of time trolling islander lures without ballyhoo - or is it / can it be still effective for mahi, BFT, wahoo -  thanks for your thoughts on that

No its not a waste of time.

I think one of the most famous wahoo lures is a islander rigged in front of squid skirts with egg sinkers in the heads. I know them as po boy's. I will try and edit in a pic later. 
      These are rigged for high speed wahoo fishing. My rigging has evolved over the years, & I currently rig them a bit differently than pictured. 
     For mahi, tuna & the occasional wahoo. I would use mono & either a trace of wire/cable from hook to lure, or a long shank hook. The one on the right is rigged with a trace of cable & a swivel. 

If you're looking to troll a islander with no bait. Rig a squid skirt behind it. With a egg sinker in the head for sub surface or beads for surface. The reason I say this is the hair on island lures is a bit thin for no bait. This method will bulk up the silowet & allow you to play with contrasting colors. You can also put the less expensive Japanese feathers behind the islander as well. 
     This can be done with any of the island lures models such as islander, black hole, sail lure, & islander JR.
  • JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 53 Deckhand
    The only time I use squid is when I run out of ballyhoo...then I get creative. I really don’t think it matters which bait you use as long as it is rigged right.  If it looks like a squid, or a ballyhoo once rigged, you will be successful. I only wonder how many fish I’ve missed from a spinning bait not rigged correctly. I’ve used grunt belly’s on islanders and caught nice wahoo, dolphin and too many barracudas.  Islanders are great lures, I must have 30 of them and use them every trip out.  Just a good shout out to sea witches too...as long as the bait pulls on the hook and not the bait for either one.  Demersalangler is on target.

• ACDACD Posts: 19 Deckhand
    Thanks guys - appreciate the input
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 52 Deckhand
    Has anyone ever tried turning off the motors and drifting the weed line and throwing chucks, live bait or lures?

ive thought about it but I kinda feel like a **** because there are usually a few boats trolling the weeds when we get out there and I don’t wanna be the goof that’s parked in the middle of the road
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
     As a kid that was my father's preferred method. We caught all kinds of fish. Mahi, sails, tuna, Bonita, kings, & even a white marlin. When I find something floating I try and stay with it. 
     Send a trickle of chunks out. 2 or 3 at a time watching as they sink. When out of sight repeat. You will notice certain mannerisms of the fish. Such as lighting up, going dark, fireing up, or losing interest. There is not much that is more exiting than hand feeding a school. Especially when you have a lot of confidence in what you're doing. 

These days we spend a lot of time deep dropping & driving into the current. Things tend to float by pretty consistently. 
  • River rat 65River rat 65 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Keep it simple ballyhoo with sea witches 3/4 nose wait with copper wire learn how to tie this rig catch every striking fish on the planet as long as they’re fish in the vicinity