Coronavirus

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,263 AG
    This thread will die of COVID...eventually

Captain Todd Approves

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,042 Admiral
    edited May 21 #6243
    kellercl said:

I hope that is fake news, because that certainly implies we are grossly misrepresenting Covid deaths.
    They have been misrepresented for a long time. 
     You stub your toe on the coffee table, it’s Covid related. 
     Gotta have those numbers high.  ;)
    Again, assuming that is true data, that is downright criminal.  Deaths from 2019 to 2020 had a 61.54% change (e.g. reduction)...  that is a massive red flag.  People are suddenly not dying of other causes because magic?  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    mplspug said:
    This thread will die of COVID...eventually
    After the 2nd and 3rd wave?  If history holds true, this thread will be worse in wave 2.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Kellercl with the mic drop!

Captain Todd Approves

• Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,057 Captain
    Who believed that the churches would be packed at Easter?
    Y'all should be happy we have found a way to reduce deaths from heart disease and cancer.

Captain Todd Approves

-Walter Payton

The United States has pledged to pay as much as $1.2 billion to get early access to 300 million doses of an experimental COVID-19 vaccine being developed and tested in England.

The vaccine is being developed by the University of Oxford’s Jenner Institute and licensed to British drugmaker AstraZeneca.

It is expected to be delivered as early as October, though that only means the doses will be stored until the vaccine completes clinical trials ensuring it is safe and effective in protecting against COVID-19 infection.

The vaccine is in early clinical trials and being tested for safety, whether it produces antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and whether it protects the immunized from becoming infected with the virus. The first tests began in England on April 23.

Getting ahead of ourselves by not waiting on double blind peer reviewed studies or a smart move?

-Walter Payton
    edited May 21 #6250
    kellercl said:

You guys that can't remember last month and can't seem to find your car keys either should check in the refrigerator before calling the doc.

Soon I'll be parroting the no one could of predicted this mantra as it seems particularly pertinent given Florida's new data today. 
    edited May 21 #6251
    I can remember last month just fine.  Heck I remember Tarp claiming to be a relocation assistant back in 2018.  I just don't harp on the past because it can't be changed.  The future however is wide open and deserves attention.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I can remember last month just fine.  Heck I remember Tarp claiming to be a relocation assistant back in 2018.  I just don't harp on the past because it can't be changed.  The future however is wide open and deserves attention.
    Your crystal ball has proven as faulty as your memory.

It's almost as if the early pages of this thread don't exist.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited May 21 #6253

Where did that graph come from?

Here's another that tells quite a different story:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,095 AG
    kellercl said:

I hope that is fake news, because that certainly implies we are grossly misrepresenting Covid deaths.
    I think it is cherry picked data of some sort. I sourced part of it, but can't confirm the deaths from cancer and such for the period in question.

I found several articles on the number of deaths increasing in New York City (that is what that chart is, just NYC) and found the number of deaths increased pretty close to the number of Covid deaths and actually higher than the number of covid deaths.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-11/new-york-city-had-24-172-excess-deaths-as-outbreak-accelerated

So if the deaths increased 24,000 more than normal and Covid only accounted for 19,000 of them, it seems unlikely that other causes were claimed as covid deaths, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

kellercl said:
    You probably should focus on the future as you seem to be harping about my past and consistently wrong about it at the same time.  

cadman said:
    kellercl said:

I think it is cherry picked data of some sort. I sourced part of it, but can't confirm the deaths from cancer and such for the period in question.

I found several articles on the number of deaths increasing in New York City (that is what that chart is, just NYC) and found the number of deaths increased pretty close to the number of Covid deaths and actually higher than the number of covid deaths.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-11/new-york-city-had-24-172-excess-deaths-as-outbreak-accelerated

So if the deaths increased 24,000 more than normal and Covid only accounted for 19,000 of them, it seems unlikely that other causes were claimed as covid deaths, 

That would make sense.  Good explanation.  

-Walter Payton
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,078 Captain
    Not Cuomo
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,109 Officer
    Wow so it has only taken me over a year on OT to get to understand this him her he said she said now it's all starting to make sense😁😁
    So this is completely irrelevant but because I need to test out my "him" theory I'm going to post my all time favorite quote I've heard "him" say recently

" theres all kinds of people dying that have never even died before" 🤔🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

No the narrative behind what him was trying to say or relate to isnt funny at all but his choice of words from time to time sure makes me scratch my head sometimes. 
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    Lupus is an underlying condition that effects your immune system.  I'd love to know her age.  

Whoops?
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  A lady with significant underlying health issues caught Covid and survived... oh and she was on HCQ.  HCQ, to my knowledge was never pitched as preventing Covid, but rather (may) reduce the recovery time.  
    Actually, Tarp's favorite person said he was taking it to prevent catching Covid. Why i said listen to doctors and not politicians. Only a true moron would take medical advice from a politician. 
    There was a study done by the NIH back in 2005 or so that indicated chloroquine type meds not only were effective stopping a coronavirus in the early stages of infection, but seemed to have a prophylactic effect as well reducing the chance of infection.

I work with several critical care pulmonologists/intensivists who take it prophylactically, and anecdotally through them know of other physicians doing the same thing.

There are currently more clinical studies either planned or ongoing involving giving medical staff HCQ prophylactically.

It's interesting, HCQ has been used pretty extensively in several countries, and their death rates are better than ours. Some physicians in France are now basically giving it out like candy, and their death rates are dropping. Along that same vein, they don't have a huge increase in cardiac arrest deaths linked to that jump in prescribing HCQ, so that seems to blunt some of that negative press against the med.

No one has ever said that taking HCQ made you bulletproof against the virus. No med is 100% effective, people on chemo die of cancer every day.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,935 Admiral
    306 posts to read since my last access at this thread.

Well, I already did my recap.

- The virus is here for months (if not years)
    - The virus won't come back to China
    - At least 90% of deaths of corona weren't really because corona
    - Even if the 100% of deaths was really due corona it's still statistically insignificant in a worldwide perspective
    - The lock-down has been totally useless in a health perspective. It was useful only to hide the lack of healthcare organization and prevention (especially in nurse houses)
    - Imposing the "new normal" (masks, social distance, lines, etc. so living bad) is the first main goal of this phase
    - The useless vaccine is the second main goal of this phase (and any other therapy is boycotted)
    - The economic/political speculation is the mother of all goals since this madness started
    - Unemployment, poverty, lack of freedom and social fights (divide et impera) are the only real results the common people can check by themselves
    - The WHO headquarter should be bombed when they are all inside
    - Mainstream media should be closed by law
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • dogman18dogman18 Posts: 391 Deckhand
    If areas of dense population are prime for C19 and other pandemics WHY are we continuing to build appartments and Condos? 
    “There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”
    ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I noticed a lot of people wearing masks during all the previous flu seasons too. 
     Especially the SARS epidemic several years ago. 😉
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,259 Admiral
    RStyle said:
    It is interesting that some feel their liberty and rights are threatened by the simple, non painful, non threatening act of wearing a mask. At what point do my right to not be infected or my family being infected is taken into consideration?

The level of sporadic ignorance regarding masks is surprising.
    1) N95 allows some particles out but NOT IN. That is why frontline workers that are dealing with Covid patients use them. The patients have the disease and are sneezing, coughing, spreading viral particles in the air around their faces. You do not want anything GOING IN through the mask. ( If an symptomatic Carrier in the street uses an N95 he could potentially breathe out the viral particles and infect people around them. They also require proper fitting ). 

2) the surgical or cloth masks allow small particles to go in but limit the particles that GO OUT. YOU DO NOT WEAR THE MASK TO PROTECT YOURSELF! You use it so that if you do not spread  the virus. The patient with diabetes or asthma would not wear the mask for protection. They would wear it as to not spread the virus if they have it ( immunocompromised patient wears it for other reasons)

Covering the eyes would only be beneficial if you are surrounded by all the forum friends without masks speaking, laughing, coughing The virus would infect you through the eyes but also through your nose even if you are wearing a mask. But if everyone is wearing a mask, there would not be any airborne particles to infect you or anyone ele

The viral particles floating in the air ON THEIR OWN are so small ( microns) that they can penetrate most masks or possibly infect you through the eyes. BUT when you speak, cough, sneeze the viral particles are floating and encased in large ( still microscopic) drops of saliva that can be trapped by the cloth. THAT IS WHY WEARING A MASK HELPS. The mask stops small drops of virus loaded saliva from GOING OUT into the surroundings.....and infecting others

Wearing a mask has absolutely nothing to do with freedom, rights, liberties or Constitution but with human decency, courtesy, respect for neighbors and fellow citizens, respect for people finally returning to work  and hopefully help decrease the number of Infected individuals and deaths

SIMPLE: Cloth masks are not for your protection. The are for the
                   protection of others !!  You may be an asymptomatic 
                   carrier spreading the disease to others!

Its surprising how many people don't understand this. 
    It really doesn't take great powers of deduction to see how this is somewhat effective in slowing the spread. Exactly how effective is much more difficult to understand, but given the risk, it's clearly worth the small sacrifice.

I find myself wishing that this virus was less of a threat with the older and less healthy, and more selective with ignorance and stupidity.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    cadman said:
    They were going by what she said she was 
    Like you, they were taking her at her word.

According to Desantis she was just a data input person. 

Hmmmm.  Who to believe.....    From April 20:

COVID-19: Dedicated Scientist in Florida Made Quick Moves to Map the Disease

Partyers and retirees clashed in Florida recently as the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) spread across the US. Though residents 65 years of age and older make up more than 20 percent of the state’s population (compared to 15 percent for the nation), the rush of college students to Florida beach towns for spring break temporarily changes that ratio.

As young revelers crowded Florida beaches and retirees observed the lack of social distancing, a dedicated scientist was hard at work quantifying the state’s COVID-19 cases. She knew seeing up-to-date data for the state would help local authorities and residents make decisions to reduce the impacts of the disease. She also hoped the data would reduce the feeling of panic in older and more vulnerable residents.

“We have a very large vulnerable population, more so than any other state,” said Rebekah Jones, GIS manager for the Florida Department of Health. “One good thing we’ve seen so far is that the bulk of areas where that population lives hasn’t been hit as hard by the virus.”

Jones is usually working on other types of GIS maps and analysis—tracking environmental factors such as radon and water quality and making sure health services reach women, infants, children, and the elderly. She put that work on hold and quickly created a COVID-19 dashboard. Then, she spent the weekend compiling case data and configuring the dashboard.

Just days after completion, Florida’s COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard was launched by the governor on live national television, much to Jones’ surprise. Her hard work delivered an authoritative source for timely and accurate case reporting, and within a few weeks, it had been viewed 44.7 million times.

Read the rest here:  https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/blog/scientist-maps-florida-covid19-cases/
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,462 Officer
    Every day we live, accept and tolerate limits to our perceived freedoms and rights for our benefit and for the benefit of society and fellow citizens. 
    Examples: Speed limits, seat belts, carrying a firearm into a plane or a courthouse, parking permits, traffic lights etc.

The only freedom we get from  not wearing a mask is the freedom or right to infect others with a potentially deadly infectious agent.

if you are going to spend a few hours or a morning  in a small space  with 10 people ( office, work) and they tell you one of them is known to be infected and spreading  Covid but we do not know which one because he/she does not have symptoms
    You are told that If you get the infection you have a small chance of dying or passing it to your family or friends who will then have a small chance of dying. ( or potentially get seriously ill)
    They also tell you that if everyone In the room wears a mask, you will not get the infection.
    Will you make sure the rights and freedoms of the people in the room are respected and you tell everyone not to wear a mask and that you are willing to assume the risk that you and your family may get infected?
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 1,027 Officer
    If you're in a small room with 10 people and 1 is known to be infected ya'll gotta stay in your house for 14 days. Them's the rules.
    RStyle said:
    Every day we live, accept and tolerate limits to our perceived freedoms and rights for our benefit and for the benefit of society and fellow citizens. 
    Examples: Speed limits, seat belts, carrying a firearm into a plane or a courthouse, parking permits, traffic lights etc.

The only freedom we get from  not wearing a mask is the freedom or right to infect others with a potentially deadly infectious agent.

if you are going to spend a few hours or a morning  in a small space  with 10 people ( office, work) and they tell you one of them is known to be infected and spreading  Covid but we do not know which one because he/she does not have symptoms
    You are told that If you get the infection you have a small chance of dying or passing it to your family or friends who will then have a small chance of dying. ( or potentially get seriously ill)
    They also tell you that if everyone In the room wears a mask, you will not get the infection.
    Will you make sure the rights and freedoms of the people in the room are respected and you tell everyone not to wear a mask and that you are willing to assume the risk that you and your family may get infected?
    Are those examples of limiting our freedoms, because I am pretty sure not everyone tolerates them?  Especially the speeding one.  Everyone pretty much ignored those.  Do you drive under the speed limit all the time?

Are you sure if everyone in a room wears a mask they tell you, guarantee that you cannot get the virus?  That seems like a lofty claim considering how infectious it is and how people wearing a mask have a false sense of security.  

Captain Todd Approves

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    This “pandemic” has really shown just how intolerant and tyrannical some people really are. 
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,462 Officer
    mplspug said:
    RStyle said:

Are those examples of limiting our freedoms, because I am pretty sure not everyone tolerates them?  Especially the speeding one.  Everyone pretty much ignored those.  Do you drive under the speed limit all the time?

Are you sure if everyone in a room wears a mask they tell you, guarantee that you cannot get the virus?  That seems like a lofty claim considering how infectious it is and how people wearing a mask have a false sense of security.  
    1) is it better for you and your family that people follow the rules 
        even if some break them? Maybe we should not have speed 
        limits..................we should also be able to drive drunk. Some
        people do, so why have the rule
    2). Let’s play the game a little different to make you feel better.
         Let’s say there is a 90% chance or a 65 % or 45% chance that if 
         people in the room do not wear a mask you will get infected, 
         will you ask them to not wear it to protect their rights.

( The example I gave is theoretical and just an attempt to demonstrate a point. FloridaMetalfab is correct. If you knew 
      one was infected they all had to go into quarantine for 14 days
      further restricting their freedom, rights and liberties for the benefit 
      of the rights and liberties of all the members in their society)
    edited May 22 #6271
    This “pandemic” has really shown just how intolerant and tyrannical some people really are. 
    This "pandemic" has really shown how caring about those around you is considered intolerant and tyrannical by a selfish and vocal minority.