Home General Freshwater Fishing

Soft Plastics in the Tannic stained rivers

Ham2Ham2 Flippin, ArkansasPosts: 28 Deckhand
I plan on fishing some of the rivers of the panhandle next year. Soft plastics will certainly play a Big role in that. I'd love advice from people that have fished these rivers in regards to colors and soft plastic bait designs that would be your first choices for the water when it is low and clear but has that brown tannin stain. 

I'm pretty comfortable pitching and flipping as well as using finesse soft plastics on spinning gear (Ned rig, Slider, wacky rigs). 

Thanks Guys! 

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 298 Deckhand
    purple a good choice. if that doesnt work i'd go with watermelon/red flake

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    Root beer is a very popular choice for that kind of water. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Ham2Ham2 Flippin, ArkansasPosts: 28 Deckhand
    I was thinking Junebug. The only Rootbeer colored stuff I have is more for inshore. Like DOA shrimp maybe. 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,466 Officer
    I've fished a couple of panhandle rivers for Suwanee Bass and used green pumpkin finesse worms. 
  • cortrcortr Posts: 262 Deckhand
    Watermelon Red and Black/Blue senkos
  • CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    For me, as the water gets murkier and more stained, this makes it harder for the fish to see a lure or its color. So I tend go lighter as the water gets more stained. Sometimes adding a rattle helps the fish zero in on it better.

It has been my experience if the fish can see it really well they may not strike it knowing it is not a food source, and by blending lures into the water and background, sometimes by it blending in to the background and the fish might be more inclined to strike at it.

So sometimes it can go both ways. I let the fish tell me what they want. And sometimes they don't!
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 301 Deckhand
    cortr has it nailed IMO.  I do well with both colors with a crawfish and only ever use black blue laminate senko's.  Hook them so the blue is the belly and i usually throw them on a 5/0 offset worm hook weightless or an 1/8 oz if i need to get it down more in the current.  
  • JWTJWT Posts: 721 Officer
    i see you are in Flippin..........   do you fish the White or Norfolk?
    JWT said:
    Yes Sir. Many times. I am 3 minutes away from the ramp at Cotter, Arkansas. 
    We live on the Marion County side of the White River. 
    I also fish Bull Shoals and Norfork Lake often.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited May 19 #14
    Thank You FP. I’ll be sure to have some and try that. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,274 Moderator
    Fished the White once. Did well on the trout throwing Rapala's F-8

"You'll get your weather"
    Jerk baits definitely work. Especially when there are higher flow rates. 
    I prefer to use White River Zig Jigs IF the CFS < 10,000 
    Ham2 said:
    JWT said:
    Yes Sir. Many times. I am 3 minutes away from the ramp at Cotter, Arkansas. 
    We live on the Marion County side of the White River. i have a place just up the hill from the White, 10 minutes from the Cotter landing. ........  i am trying to figure out how i can make a visit this year.... i generally come up at least once a year, this year is going to be challenging, but i am getting tired of flat ground..........

JWT said:
    Ham2 said:
    JWT said:
    Yes Sir. Many times. I am 3 minutes away from the ramp at i have a place just up the hill from the White, 10 minutes from the Cotter landing. ........  i am trying to figure out how i can make a visit this year.... i generally come up at least once a year, this year is going to be challenging, but i am getting tired of flat ground..........
    Well Man if you make it here, Please let me know. I’ll try to take you fishing if your interested. PM me or email. I’ll be glad to give you cell phone info as well
    i will definitely give you a heads up....... we generally gather there in June for a week or two. this year is looking to be very challenging for several reasons......... i am not sure if it will happen at this point...... thanks for the invite !

Looking Forward to it. I hope you find a way to get here

• louislouis Posts: 16 Deckhand
    I grew up western panhandle Okaloosa, Walton county area.  We always used junebug or close to that color.  White spinnerbait or crawfish colored crank.  The biggest secret because of the swifter current was within 8 inches of bank or structure item if urther away than that results were poor.  Good luck.
    I’ll keep that in mind