Home General Freshwater Fishing

Fish Identification - North Port Canals

fishinrick55fishinrick55 North Port, FloridaPosts: 8 Deckhand
I just recently bought a fishing katak and have been fishing the numerous canals in and around North Port, Florida.  I've caught a lot of largemouth bass in the 3-5 pound range, and a nice snook the other day.  Most of the fish were on soft plastics or topwater plugs.
My question:  I've been seeing a lot of fish - I initially thought that they were bass -  but most look to be about 16-20" long (have also seen a few really big ones) and are white/light in color and seem to be thinner than most of the bass I've caught.  They don't seem to be interested in any type of artificial lure....and they are often seen in pairs - swimming around in loops.   I've asked around, but no one seems to know what they are?
Checking the internet, I thought that they might be Asian Grass Carp, but not certain.  Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Replies

• DazDaz Posts: 107 Deckhand
    Grass Carp is a possibility. I know there are some stocked in the Rotonda canals to help keep the grasses in check, but if what you're seeing look like skinny LM bass, they may be Sunshine Bass.  We have some in the waterways of South Gulf Cove (behind the lock on the northwest side of Charlotte Harbor / Myakka River) that FWC stocked.  They're slimmer than largemouths, but not sure if they've been stocked in North Port (they're stock and take fish that don't reproduce).
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • KrezKrez Posts: 9 Deckhand
    Sounds like Tilapia
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 207 Deckhand
    What Krez said.
  • fishinrick55fishinrick55 North Port, FloridaPosts: 8 Deckhand
    Thanks for the ideas.
    These fish don't look like talapia I've seen pictures of (talapia seem more roundish and chunky....the fish I'm seeing are long, slender/sleek and light colored - almost look white in the water).
    Next time I'm out I'll try and get some pics.