Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

whole house generator advice

hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,322 Officer
Since we moved from OP to the river a couple miles from Mayport, my wife is insisting on a stand-by gen. The house had one that was removed so it is all set up with transfer switches and breaker panel, there is no pad, and there is a 1000 gal propane tank. I see the generac guardian 22kw is the biggest air cooled available and seems to retail around 4-5K.

So, I need to set up a pad, purchase the generator and get it installed. Probably need power regulation/conditioning and surge system, right? What should I be paying?

What's by best bet... any forum guys do this?

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

Replies

• swgiesswgies Posts: 5 Deckhand
    Sean Flanagan 912-256-7665
    I have several friends that Sean installed generators for give him a call
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,322 Officer
    thanks, I'll give him a call.

• Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,425 Officer
    I just signed American Electric up a few weeks back to install a 22kw...can't wait to have the whole house ready to go.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited May 19 #5
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
     I would recommend for you to but 1 or 2 100lb cylinders & have a connection for them ready to go. The reason being you will run out of LP at some point & have to bring a portable tank to a filling station. 
    Snatch-Um said:
    I just signed American Electric up a few weeks back to install a 22kw...can't wait to have the whole house ready to go.
    the guys I called want over 14k for gen, pad and install... seems pretty high to me. I am shopping.

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,899 Admiral
    We have two of them, one at the house and one at the farm. Both were installed by Premier Power in Jax. The "electrical" part of the process was surprisingly expensive in both instances, the automatic switches and the linking of the proper circuits requiring a REAL ELECTRICIAN to get it right ( safe ).

If you have all the electrical in place and it is up to code such that they will be able to simply hook it up and you have the tank you'll still have to pay an electrician to make the hookup. 

During Irma we had 5 1/2 days of runtime on one 500 gallon tank at the farm........and had another full day at least of gas left when Clay Electric got us hooked back up to the grid. You've plenty of capacity.....so long as you check it now and then to be sure you've no leaks.

22K will run a lot of house..................
  • no slackno slack Posts: 375 Deckhand
    22k with transfer switch and pad installed and wired should not cost over 9k unless it's a long run from your meter/panel.  

$14,000 way too high....like no slack said $9,000 should be the ballpark for a 22kw.....250 gallon tank will only last 3 to 5 days if you run 24/7.  I've got a 500 going in the ground.

-T

edited May 20 #11
    no slack said:
    22k with transfer switch and pad installed and wired should not cost over 9k unless it's a long run from your meter/panel.  
    the spot is five feet from the already existing transfer switches and there is already a gas line from the 1000gal tank plumbed right there. It's going where the previous generator and pad used to be.

Do you have two panels?  
    Two main panels for the house breakers, yes. Also a breaker box for the transfer switches, plus a sub panel to feed the outside.

• Feet1stShoesFeet1stShoes Posts: 171 Deckhand
    I own a business on Philips near Baymeadows and a place called Generator Superstore just moved in literally next door, in the adjacent suite. They are advertising like crazy on the TV. Perhaps you should give them a call. 
    I thought I'd report back... Contacted a bunch of people, including the ones here... had varying success with returned calls. Apparently they are all busy and running around like three tailed cats in a room full of rocking chairs. The ones I did talk to were booked out till mid July before they could even schedule coming to look at the job. Generac's referral service gave my contact info to one of their corporate certified installers, a guy called Nationwide Electric, they told me they're out of Fleming Island. They called me and sent out a guy named Ian the next day, looked over the situation, made some observations and said the existing transfer switches, panels and service don't match up and are not to code and would have to be changed. So, for a Guardian 22KW model 7042-2 ($4600), a pair of new transfer switches ($765 each), a generac pad ($400), battery, labor ($3500), delivery ($100), permitting ($150), 7 year warranty, and a nebulous $1000 charge for "General Materials" which I suspect is in large part a BS charge which I will argue about, total is 11,400... At least not the 14+ grand the other guy wanted but still higher than I wanted, but I am on the schedule and my wife is now off my back about about getting it handled. (Couldn't take the pressure any more!)

Good deal...with each named tropical storm the wait will continue to grow and grow to get on the list.
    So, when I questioned the $1000 General Materials item charge, this was the reply. "It covers many things including all the copper wire, flex pipe, pvc pipe, electrical connectors/fittings, lugs, ground bars, neutral bars, other items and some of our profit. We just break things down into those few categories to keep things simple." (italics and bold added by me)

My generator is being installed a foot and a half from the wall where the transfer switches are and ten feet from the service meter. I've decided that, while I understand they have wire, flex and pvc pipe costs, will need connectors, lugs, bars and some other incidental items, after doing a little price checking at retail, I think they are packing this charge by a very good percentage. Not complaining, and am going to let it go. I'm just reporting.

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited June 3 #18
    One option is to just use one transfer switch and feed only one panel with the most needed items during power outages.  We are doing this for a customer now and just made sure all essential circuits we're transferred to the one panel.