Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Crabbie patties-blue crab

Black WaterBlack Water Posts: 249 Deckhand
edited November 2019 in Sportsman's Kitchen #1
Simple recipe that takes some time picking for meat but worth it. Catch about 12-16 crabs. I pull backs off, clean, and boil before picking. 1 lb of picked over meat. Add all ingredients in bowl and mix. See below ingredients. Make into burger patties and put evoo in frying pan and brown both sides of Patty for for a couple of mins. Serve with your favorite sauce  my fav is remoulade. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing

Replies

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,102 Officer
    That looks amazing
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,250 Admiral
    Will give it a try
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Black WaterBlack Water Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I throw them back. You can tell by tips. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing
    bocapup1 said:
    That looks amazing
    Actually tastes amazing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,198 Admiral
    I believe you I like crab cakes.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,745 Admiral
    Why?

And yes......I knew they were all male.
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 108 Deckhand
    bswiv said:
    Why?

Best thing you can do to keep population numbers is good shape.
    WetBandit said:
    bswiv said:
    Why?

Best thing you can do to keep population numbers is good shape.
    Science behind that for Florida?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,355 AG
    Nice patties, no science for Fl sooks so keep them if you want.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    No science is better than real fishing day after day. I catch 12-16 males to 1-2 females in a couple of traps. Happens all the time. I just let the females go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No science is better than real fishing day after day. I catch 12-16 males to 1-2 females in a couple of traps. Happens all the time. I just let the females go.
    Salinity of the water, time of year, moon phase and other factors will alter the sex ratio of the catch. In brackish areas the male to female ratio can be as you suggest for extended periods of time. The areas around Lake George and the springs in that area being one of those places. 

If you move on down towards the mouth of the river ( Jacksonville & then Mayport ) the mix of the catch will change.....often to exactly the opposite. Has to do with their need for salt and other aspects of their biology. 

While male crabs can be larger, especially in the more brackish areas, it is often that the overall size of the females will rival the size of the males in a specific area at a specific time.

The sex ration can even change by moving traps a couple of hundred yards....or less. An example being that if you set a line of traps along the shallow edge of the St. Johns, right off of and around the docks you will catch more males.....especially in the spring & fall. Move the trap on off a short ways, to deeper water and the catch will change.

The science of it is complicated and variable and not amenable to easy statements of fact that will carry forward across seasons and shifting water conditions.

In your area......wherever it is......you're doing no harm by eating the few females that show up.
    Wow! Great Info. Thanks! The traps are off the docks in the shallows of palatka so that might be why I'm catching more males. I tend to get lazy after picking all the males so the females go back because they usually are smaller. Caught a big male last night amoungst a bunch of meds gonna taste great!15 inch span.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wow! Great Info. Thanks! The traps are off the docks in the shallows of palatka so that might be why I'm catching more males. I tend to get lazy after picking all the males so the females go back because they usually are smaller. Caught a big male last night amoungst a bunch of meds gonna taste great!15 inch span.
    You nailed it. And for what it is worth I spoke to a friend the other day who still commercial crabs.....he's old like I am......and he said that the run of large males in the area he's been working of late (Federal Point to just north of the Shands ) has been unusually good. He's had more than a few crabs that individually weighed well over a pound.

For reference as to how big that is consider that a typical run of crabs will average 5.5 pounds a dozen.

It's probably to late to do it this year, spring being the next good opportunity, but if you will set a couple of traps aside and when you catch really healthy looking males, ones that have what looks like rust spots on their bellies, if you'll set one of them in the bait well of the trap ( Got to feed him every day! ) you will be rewarded with peelers as the seek him to mate with.

From those peelers you can shed yourself one the most perfect foods....softshell crabs.......and then boil them in oil......and eat like a God!
    Yeah I've caught a few of those soft crabs but never fried them. Will have to try in spring!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    substitute ground gator for crab and hush puppy mix for panko
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,250 Admiral
    Crumbled saltines make a good breading for crab cakes.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

From fwc site: Female blue crabs may be harvested lawfully if they are not bearing eggs. Although it is lawful to keep non-egg bearing female blue crabs, it is a conservation practice to release them unharmed. There has been evidence that the females support the population of the species. Male crabs are capable of mating several times, but females are only able to mate once, after they mature.

If a juvenile female is harvested, there will be no chance that she will be able to reproduce. Additionally, mature females may store **** in their bodies for several months after mating in order to spawn at a later date. If a mature female is harvested, though she may not exhibit eggs, there is no certainty that she has spawned.

Releasing female blue crabs enhances reproductive capacity and population renewal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,801 Captain
    in your list of ingredients my computer has an ad that partially covers the entry after the Panko.. all I can read (in spite of my best mediocre computer skills....) is the entry "Two tablespoons finely..." the remainder and any subsequent entries are obscured by one of those obnoxious ads so if anyone can fill me in I'd appreciate it..

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    in your list of ingredients my computer has an ad that partially covers the entry after the Panko.. all I can read (in spite of my best mediocre computer skills....) is the entry "Two tablespoons finely..." the remainder and any subsequent entries are obscured by one of those obnoxious ads so if anyone can fill me in I'd appreciate it..

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    same, such a cliff hanger! I want to try but substitute blanched/partially boiled fish for the crab.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,975 Captain
    If it is not onion, then there’s something wrong .
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • TXwaterTXwater Galveston BayPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Are you boiling the crabs with the back off??? Sorry if this is a newbie question but I have heard of different ways of boiling them. I feel if you take the shell off you should get more flavor from the spices on the meat but have never tried that. We always boiled them live and whole. 
    yes. you can use a boil if you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]